Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting Room / General Discussions / Introduce yourself

Places CritiqueBoats& LUTs

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Boats& LUTs

Post by minniev »

I've been fooling around with LUTs today, so wanted to share. This pre-dawn picture, taken in Wiccasset ME, was very blue, but taking out the blue made it kinda gray since there wasn't much color, so I added a LUT in Luminar. Share your thoughts and If you use LUTs I'd like for you talk about how and what.
Attachments
lut (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

A pleasant image minniev...since I haven't seen the blah before I've no comparison but your finished product is nice, seems a touch green for my taste..add another under abstract called "sienna-blue" you might like it...LUT's are really just pre-sets..you can make your own and export with your name and generally save as a cube file..then copy it to the preset folder in Ps called 3Dluts...you have to close and open Ps for it to show up in the list..... They are handy and quick and can make a big difference to your image..when I want to stylize and image I usually do it manually with say curves and blend-if or some combination of adjustment layers and such. Have fun there are a bunch of them

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

yep - is beautiful, don't know how much is LUT or how much is YOU, but the image is beautiful.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 11:50 pm
A pleasant image minniev...since I haven't seen the blah before I've no comparison but your finished product is nice, seems a touch green for my taste..add another under abstract called "sienna-blue" you might like it...LUT's are really just pre-sets..you can make your own and export with your name and generally save as a cube file..then copy it to the preset folder in Ps called 3Dluts...you have to close and open Ps for it to show up in the list..... They are handy and quick and can make a big difference to your image..when I want to stylize and image I usually do it manually with say curves and blend-if or some combination of adjustment layers and such. Have fun there are a bunch of them
Thanks Frank. I’ll take a look. I have used the ones in PS, but not many there that I can see to choose between. I thought I loaded some more but somehow that process didn’t work. I also have an action that I think does similar by adding toning via gradient, then you adjust it with the gradient sliders and the mysterious (to me) blend-if sliders.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:21 am
yep - is beautiful, don't know how much is LUT or how much is YOU, but the image is beautiful.
It was pretty boring before I spiffed it up. Thanks!

PietFrancke
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by PietFrancke »

minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I think I need to become more familiar with this - if nothing else, seems like a filter process that can beautify and unify at the same time.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Feb 13, 2020 3:11 am
minniev wrote:
Wed Feb 12, 2020 10:48 pm
PietFrancke wrote:
I think I need to become more familiar with this - if nothing else, seems like a filter process that can beautify and unify at the same time.
The unify part is what I usually use it for, to help with composites. But I don’t know what I’m doing yet. Frank has mentioned making our own. I hope he’ll tell us how!

Psjunkie
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie »

minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Frank has mentioned making our own. I hope he’ll tell us how!
so just add any adjustment layer or layers above the original image…make some slider changes and select them all..go to file..export..color lookup tables..generally I just use check cube..ok..name it test and make sure you know where you are saving it…delete or turn off the layers you selected in Ps..open color look up adjustment layer..load 3Dluts…you should see your custom lut named test..open..click it on and off to see your changes...

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev »

Psjunkie wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 5:47 pm
minniev wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 12:59 pm
Frank has mentioned making our own. I hope he’ll tell us how!
so just add any adjustment layer or layers above the original image…make some slider changes and select them all..go to file..export..color lookup tables..generally I just use check cube..ok..name it test and make sure you know where you are saving it…delete or turn off the layers you selected in Ps..open color look up adjustment layer..load 3Dluts…you should see your custom lut named test..open..click it on and off to see your changes...
Thank ya. If I can figure out a way to try it I'll share back and let you tell me what I did wrong.

St3v3Murray
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3Murray »

minniev wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 10:56 pm
I've been fooling around with LUTs today, so wanted to share. This pre-dawn picture, taken in Wiccasset ME, was very blue, but taking out the blue made it kinda gray since there wasn't much color, so I added a LUT in Luminar. Share your thoughts and If you use LUTs I'd like for you talk about how and what.
So progressive, I didn't know we were using LUTs now! S-

LUT
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"