Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

Places CritiqueShips Passing In the Morning

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Ships Passing In the Morning

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:20 am

Before and during Trap Day, there is a constant stream of small dories going from the shore to the lobster boats - captains, sternmen, family members.

Experimenting with frames again.

The boat in the rear is the youngest licensed lobster fisherman in Maine, learning to row. She is 9. Her grandfather is teaching her all about lobstering, serving as her captain and taking her to set and check her 14 traps. Lobster licenses are inheritable, and she wanted to keep her father's license after he died last season.
Attachments
ships passing (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:09 am

Lovely story albeit a bit sad and touching...wonderful frame work. One of these days I'm going to dive into that stuff..now I know who I can quiz about it.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:30 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:09 am
Lovely story albeit a bit sad and touching...wonderful frame work. One of these days I'm going to dive into that stuff..now I know who I can quiz about it.
Thanks Frank. The framing thing is a cheat. Topaz Studio2 (which I somehow got free because of an old version I had), has a frame section that is very customizable but easy for dummies like me, even.

Yes, the family story about the little girl is sad but inspiring. Her father was my favorite lobster fisherman to photograph because he was so exuberant. I've watched her grow up on the island. I was happy to be allowed to gift her and her grandparents (who have adopted her) with a canvas print of this image of him that I shot 6 years ago. I admired their strength in taking their lobstering business back to sea on the anniversary of his death. Now that the harbormaster is retiring, her grandfather is the senior full time lobster fisherman on the island.
Attachments
ben (1 of 1).jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Nov 28, 2019 5:43 am

one fabulous image....wow