"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

Places CritiqueBacklit Swamplet

Location images not considered 'scapes; landmarks, towns and cities, parks, vacation locations, your house
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Backlit Swamplet

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:15 pm

minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:
Such a lovely scene Minnie !!! Color tone looks natural to me and the backlighting is just awesome. Wondering though, since it's a drainage ditch, is it actually as beautiful being there verses your image? Sometimes pictures can lie to us. I remember being in places that were not so pleasant and the picture told a deceiving/different story of beauty. Either way, you have shown the beauty side.
Dave

Thank you Dave. This one is lying just a bit, because if you don't see it in that morning light, it is quite ordinary and no one would notice it. But on certain fall mornings, the sun is just right, and it can yield magic. It was MUCH more wonderful before the local Plant Nazis "improved" it by cutting down all the brush and small trees between it and the road. Back in the "old days", about 5 years ago before they showed up, it looked like this on a fall morning.No photoshop or HDR on this one, just the usual Lightroom adjustments

Minnie, I like this one as well !!! The sun rays create mystery and drama. I love all that have been posted, but can't pick a favorite. I hate being so indecisive, LOL !!!
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:55 pm

minniev wrote:... All comments and suggestions welcome, edits too.

Looking at it, again and again, I struggle with this one, to find the main character that is. Am I looking at The Tree Sisters where the ducks live or The Two Brothers to the right in their beautiful fall colors? The image evokes a primordial sense with its ancient look, sweeping mist, and beautiful colors. I say don't change a thing but the next time you cross that road stop and look at the brothers a bit longer. Beautiful as always! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:01 pm

davechinn wrote:
minniev wrote:
davechinn wrote:
Such a lovely scene Minnie !!! Color tone looks natural to me and the backlighting is just awesome. Wondering though, since it's a drainage ditch, is it actually as beautiful being there verses your image? Sometimes pictures can lie to us. I remember being in places that were not so pleasant and the picture told a deceiving/different story of beauty. Either way, you have shown the beauty side.
Dave

Thank you Dave. This one is lying just a bit, because if you don't see it in that morning light, it is quite ordinary and no one would notice it. But on certain fall mornings, the sun is just right, and it can yield magic. It was MUCH more wonderful before the local Plant Nazis "improved" it by cutting down all the brush and small trees between it and the road. Back in the "old days", about 5 years ago before they showed up, it looked like this on a fall morning.No photoshop or HDR on this one, just the usual Lightroom adjustments

Minnie, I like this one as well !!! The sun rays create mystery and drama. I love all that have been posted, but can't pick a favorite. I hate being so indecisive, LOL !!!
Dave

Thank ya Dave. The second one is the view I prefer, but the plant nazis have eliminated it! Glad I got the photos while I could though.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:25 pm

St3v3M wrote:
minniev wrote:... All comments and suggestions welcome, edits too.

Looking at it, again and again, I struggle with this one, to find the main character that is. Am I looking at The Tree Sisters where the ducks live or The Two Brothers to the right in their beautiful fall colors? The image evokes a primordial sense with its ancient look, sweeping mist, and beautiful colors. I say don't change a thing but the next time you cross that road stop and look at the brothers a bit longer. Beautiful as always! S-

The Brothers were more appealing before the arrival of the Plant Nazis.The second shot in the post was all about them, when they were in their best glory. I'm working on some now that I took of them the other day, but so far am not happy with how they are turning out, the area around them is so barren now. Will keep going there, though, trying to find the magic angle! Light is the key, I'm sure, as it usually is.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Dec 04, 2017 4:55 pm

minniev wrote:... Light is the key, I'm sure, as it usually is.

Lighting and an eye for beauty! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Places Critique”