“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseSleepy Hollow Cemetery plus Infrared

Any subject is fair game as long as it's tone mapped.
- Landscapes, architecture, etc. Software discussion is encouraged.
Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Sleepy Hollow Cemetery plus Infrared

Postby Wind » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:41 am

Duck wrote:
Wind wrote:Sorry Duck,
Was not referring to the IR image at all. Lets forget about that now. There are two more shots one of which is a HDR the other is a one shot capture. Are you able to tell a difference between the two is the HDR an improvement on the original image.
Hope the mud becomes clearer.

Eh, the pond's still murky.

I posted two images initially. The first is a tonemapped image processed with three exposures at 2 stops difference. The second is an infrared image. Both were processed in Photoshop.
I then reprocessed the initial three shots with Lightroom's new HDR feature. That's the third image. I think you might be confused about something.

I initially posted the comparison between the HDR and the IR for comparison between the two.

Maybe I've cleared up the mud a bit? :D

Ok duck the muddy waters are now clear again did not realise the 1st was a three image. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess than what was the difference between the PS image and the LR image. Any visual differences or just a process difference.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 5:04 am

Wind wrote:Ok duck the muddy waters are now clear again did not realise the 1st was a three image. Thanks for clearing it up. I guess than what was the difference between the PS image and the LR image. Any visual differences or just a process difference.

Yes, there are some very big differences between using PS and LR to process a HDR photo. Just as there is a big difference between using PS and Photomatix, or SNSHDR, for that matter. Each has their pros and cons and each handles tone mapping in very unique and different ways. It will ultimately come down to what style you like for your image processing and which tools you find easier to use.

Both SNSHDR and LR's new HDR feature are very simple, no frills programs that render very natural looking images. Photomatix (and a few others) tend to give too much control that can make the end results look over processed or over cooked, as it's referred to. With LR the majority of the processing takes place after the images have been blended together, just like with PS. That requires more back end processing to the image rather than pre processing like in Photomatix. Because each program handles processing in very different ways you will get very different results from each of them.

Hope this answers your question. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Duck » Tue May 05, 2015 5:17 am

Not HDR but some more shots from the cemetery.
duck_3176.jpg
Angel

duck_3936.jpg
Gabriel
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “HDR - High Dynamic Range”