“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseSleepy Hollow Cemetery plus Infrared

Any subject is fair game as long as it's tone mapped.
- Landscapes, architecture, etc. Software discussion is encouraged.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Sleepy Hollow Cemetery plus Infrared

Postby Duck » Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:56 am

A good friend of mine, Pat Cook, an accomplished photographer in his own right, and I went on a photo excursion Sunday. Pat graciously offered me the use of his infrared camera as I am thinking of converting my Canon 7D for infrared. We headed out to Croton Gorge Park in New York hoping for some shots of the picturesque dam. Unfortunately the yet early leaf season and some construction at the site didn't yield much. After a couple hours there we headed South to the historic town of Sleepy Hollow (of Washington Irving fame) and the equally historic Sleepy Hollow Cemetery.

Here is one shot from the cemetery taken first with my unmodified 7D and then with his modified 7D so you can see the difference.

duck_3934.jpg
HDR tonemapped

duck_3217.jpg
Infrared Imaged

Comments and questions are appreciated.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Sleepy Hollow Cemetery plus Infrared

Postby TomCofer » Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:40 pm

Nice shots Duck. Sounds like an interesting place to visit.

I find infrared shots to be very interesting. Not having the extra camera or conversion costs to spare, I'll just wait until you have yours done and enjoy your shots. :D
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Fri Apr 24, 2015 2:39 pm

I downloaded Lightroom 6 and after some wrestling in getting it to work (thanks to Onslow for posting the solution) I tried the HDR tool. There are no settings aside from choosing the amount of deghosting. Overall, as others have noted, it renders a very natural look that can be further adjusted through the Lightroom develop module. The fact that Lightroom generates the tonemapped image as a DNG is awesome.

duck_3933.jpg
HDR with LR6

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:43 pm

I'm digging that infrared shot Duck.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Wind » Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:45 pm

Infrared is an interesting effect not sure if I'm willing to convert my spare camera. Just wandering if you see much difference between the HDR and the non Infrared?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 25, 2015 2:11 am

TomCofer wrote:...Not having the extra camera or conversion costs to spare, I'll just wait until you have yours done and enjoy your shots. :D

Thanks for the comment, Tom. I have an older Canon 40D that is sitting around doing nothing. I was considering converting that one but once I tried my buddy's 7D I knew I wouldn't be happy with a converted 40D. I still have my 6D as my main and if push came to shove I could use the 40D as an additional backup.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:I'm digging that infrared shot Duck.

Thanks Ernst. I didn't think I would enjoy it as much as I did. Definitely gives landscapes a different look.

Wind wrote:...Just wandering if you see much difference between the HDR and the non Infrared?

Sorry Wind, I don't understand the question.

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Wind » Sat Apr 25, 2015 4:16 am

Wind wrote:...Just wandering if you see much difference between the HDR and the non Infrared?

Sorry Wind, I don't understand the question.[/quote]
Just wandering Duck, HDR to me is about capturing a greater dynamic range than the camera is capable of. Which of the two images are your preferred did doing a HDR improve the image? Is the mud a bit clearer now?
:?

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:20 pm

Wind wrote:

Duck wrote:Sorry Wind, I don't understand the question.

Just wandering Duck, HDR to me is about capturing a greater dynamic range than the camera is capable of. Which of the two images are your preferred did doing a HDR improve the image? Is the mud a bit clearer now?
:?

Sorry, lost you on that last part.

If you mean a comparison between high dynamic range (HDR) and infrared (IR), you really can't compare the two as they are two completely different methods of capturing light. IR is capturing light wavelengths beyond what a normal camera captures. You can't even think in terms of normal photography with IR because infrared light reacts so completely different off subjects than normal color reflectance.

Infrared images can be processed with tonemapping, just like any regular HDR image, to increase the dynamic range of the scene. You just have to understand how raw infrared images are processed. As far as expanding dynamic range, either photographic method has it's pros and cons. Some like the look of HDR, some don't. Some like the look of infrared, some don't.

As for me, personally, I like the look of both and can see the benefit within each process. As with anything else photographically, it boils down to what the subject being photographed is. Some processing techniques work better for some subjects than others. In my case, I wasn't sure how I would like infrared photography. Having the ability to actually use an infrared camera and take the process through its paces allowed me to test the waters and see if I would even like it. Having seen IR images in the past I knew I enjoyed viewing them. Now that I spent a day with my buddy's camera I now know I also enjoy making them.

Hope this answers your question.

Wind
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Wind » Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:09 am

Sorry Duck,
Was not referring to the IR image at all. Lets forget about that now. There are two more shots one of which is a HDR the other is a one shot capture. Are you able to tell a difference between the two is the HDR an improvement on the original image.
Hope the mud becomes clearer.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sun Apr 26, 2015 2:13 am

Wind wrote:Sorry Duck,
Was not referring to the IR image at all. Lets forget about that now. There are two more shots one of which is a HDR the other is a one shot capture. Are you able to tell a difference between the two is the HDR an improvement on the original image.
Hope the mud becomes clearer.

Eh, the pond's still murky.

I posted two images initially. The first is a tonemapped image processed with three exposures at 2 stops difference. The second is an infrared image. Both were processed in Photoshop.
I then reprocessed the initial three shots with Lightroom's new HDR feature. That's the third image. I think you might be confused about something.

I initially posted the comparison between the HDR and the IR for comparison between the two.

Maybe I've cleared up the mud a bit? :D

Return to “HDR - High Dynamic Range”