Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes ShowcaseWinter fog

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Winter fog

Post by Duck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:15 pm

duck_4639.jpg

duck_4645.jpg

duck_4643.jpg
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by TomCofer » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:19 pm

Nice shots Duck.
All the white stuff is gone around here, but we've been getting our share of morning fog too.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:22 pm

duck_4620.jpg

duck_4616.jpg

NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:25 pm

duck_4642.jpg

duck_4614.jpg

duck_4627.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Sun Mar 15, 2015 11:02 pm

As a photographer there are iconic images that stand out among all photographers as the wow shot. The kind of image that makes you say, "I wish I had taken that."
We all have them, several of them actually. For me, a foggy landscape is one of them. That fading of into the nothingness of white light in the distance.

However, it isn't as easy as it looks, All the elements needed to capture that kind of photo have to be in play; heavy fog, enough light to cut through that fog and, of course, a suitable landscape that looks good enveloped in fog. The latter isn't as easy to find, I found out. It's not like you can look at a scene in normal light and say, this would photograph well in fog. Then, when it is foggy, you can spend hours driving around trying to find that suitable landscape.

While the photos posted here are okay, I wouldn't label them as wow. Then again, it won't stop me from continuing my search.

Foggy weather tends to be wet weather. We all know that wet weather and camera gear don't really like each other. That means protecting your gear. Camera bags and rain covers are the go to gear but they can be cumbersome. Here is a shot of my set up. Yeah, it too is a bit cumbersome, but it keeps my gear dry while allowing me full access to the camera. The umbrella arm was purchased through eBay for about $20 US. A slight modification and I can attach it to my tripod. When I need to move I just shoulder the tripod and camera and start walking, keeping my head dry at the same time.

duck_4603.jpg
Umbrella holder attached to my tripod
duck_4603.jpg (428.51 KiB) Viewed 826 times

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by PeteD » Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:18 am

Some very nice shots Duck. My faves are the bench and the umbrella

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Mar 16, 2015 4:49 am

TomCofer wrote:Nice shots Duck.
All the white stuff is gone around here, but we've been getting our share of morning fog too.

Thanks Tom. We're more than ready to see this snow go for the season. While pretty to look at and photograph, I personally prefer the warmer weather. (...*)

PeteD wrote:Some very nice shots Duck. My faves are the bench and the umbrella

Thanks Pete. We are at the end of our winter season here and we received a lot more snow than we had in several years. I can only imagine how high the snow really was at the height of the season. As for the umbrella, I had grabbed my camera off the tripod to get that low angle shot of the ice. On my walk back I saw the umbrella and thought it looked rather sad by itself. I had to take a shot. ;)