Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes ShowcaseBlood Wolf Moon

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Blood Wolf Moon

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:43 pm

Last year, on January 31, 2018, I tried to get some good photos of that eclipse, but the moon was low in the sky, clouds were drifting around, and it was bitterly cold. I got in my car and drove miles to find a location with a clear view, walked a long way across a field in the bitter 13°F cold and didn't have a tripod. My hands were so painfully cold I could barely move my fingers to find and focus on the moon. Also, bracing the camera on a fence post did not work well. Plus, by then the moon had sunk almost below the horizon, clouds kept interfering, and the sun was beginning to rise so I was unable to get any satisfactory final views

So this year I hoped my chances would be better. However, we have had nothing but rain and overcast weather almost every day this winter so I didn't get my hopes up. But a cold front arrived bringing clear skies by evening for the first time in days. The best part, though, was that the moon rose straight across the valley in the east and passed directly over my house. I didn't even have to leave my deck, except to go inside and warm up between shots (not quite as cold as last year, either, only about 20°F). The main problem was that the only camera I have capable of zooming sufficiently to get any shots doesn't produce the sharpest image in low light, nowhere near the best to use for celestial photography, and my cheap tripod was very shaky. Never-the less, using my Canon PowerShot SX60 HS, a 10 second timer to reduce shake, and bracketed shots, I gave it my best and am not entirely unhappy with the results.
IMG_4434ar3.jpg

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm

That’s just gorgeous Martha! I’m so jealous! Mine were not nearly this lovely. The 3 dimensional look of this image is mesmerizing.

Happy New Year!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:14 pm

minniev wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:50 pm
That’s just gorgeous Martha! I’m so jealous! Mine were not nearly this lovely. The 3 dimensional look of this image is mesmerizing.

Happy New Year!
Thanks! Haven't been taking a lot of photos lately, but this was something I really wanted to try to capture.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm

A nice image, soft as you say but nice none the less....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm

Awesome job. I was too lazy to try and venture the cold. It reached single digits and I personally hate the cold. The warmth of the house far outweighed the thought of getting a moon shot. :D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Tutorials ⇒ How to critique photos
NOTE: If you would like me specifically to critique your image, please let me know through a private message with a link to your post.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:03 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:16 pm
A nice image, soft as you say but nice none the less....
Thanks!

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:13 pm

Duck wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 4:10 pm
Awesome job. I was too lazy to try and venture the cold. It reached single digits and I personally hate the cold. The warmth of the house far outweighed the thought of getting a moon shot. :D
Thanks! I hate the cold, too. After my experience chasing after last years eclipse in bitter cold, I wouldn't have bothered this year, either. But, that was the beauty of this eclipse. All I had to do was step out on the deck every few minutes, take a couple of shots, then duck back into a warm house. Great way to watch the first blood moon I have managed to see in my life.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm

awesome!! Good job dealing with the cold - was very windy here too! But I saw it, was very cool to see through binocs.

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Post by Ceropegia » Wed Jan 23, 2019 5:38 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:30 pm
awesome!! Good job dealing with the cold - was very windy here too! But I saw it, was very cool to see through binocs.
Thanks! Glad you got to see it.