― Scapes ShowcaseShowcase your best sunset photos

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Showcase your best sunset photos

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 pm

The bride joined 4 or her friends yesterday for a day-long revisit to the days and places of their high-school years, so I spent the afternoon at Provincetown (known locally as Ptown) with camera. I had intended to wait for some sunset photos but decided to get back to unlock the house before the bride got home since she had neither key nor garage door opener and I didn't know her schedule. So, here are three shots of the late afternoon sun from the fist of Cape Cod. Presented in b&w since the colors were blah. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-84.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-82.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-81.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-83.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm

Some color shots from last night at Paines Creek Beach as the evening progressed. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-88.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-87.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 1)-86.jpg
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:51 pm

Both nice sets Matt...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 08, 2018 9:35 pm

Thanks Frank. Matt
Matt Quinn

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 pm

minniev wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:51 pm
There are all kinds of "bests". I'll post 3 that are technically far from "best" but I like them anyway, and will explain.

1. Taken two nights ago in New Orleans with my cell phone. The best camera you have is the one you have with you. We were waiting to go into a concert where cameras were forbidden, so i used what I had to capture a pretty decent urban sunset. Not all sunsets happen over the ocean.
2. Taken last week in light too low for my camera, so I accepted that I'd have a lack of detail on the front end, deliberately used all the wrong settings just to maximize light, and used way too much noise mgt in post. The result is a fairly acceptable rendition of what the scene seemed like, but with concessions.
3. Taken a couple of years back on Monhegan Island. The sunset was foggy but very beautiful. My camera, however, got stuck on jpeg and shutter priority for reasons I never understood (a reset to default settings later cured it but I didn't have time for that in the moment). So I knew I wouldn't be able to do much PP with the photos and couldn't even control all the variables I wanted. I was careful about exposure but cast everything else aside.

The last one is totally out of the park Minnie, absolutely beautiful. I have got to plan/make a trip to Monhegan Island soon.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by davechinn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:32 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 7:59 pm
The bride joined 4 or her friends yesterday for a day-long revisit to the days and places of their high-school years, so I spent the afternoon at Provincetown (known locally as Ptown) with camera. I had intended to wait for some sunset photos but decided to get back to unlock the house before the bride got home since she had neither key nor garage door opener and I didn't know her schedule. So, here are three shots of the late afternoon sun from the fist of Cape Cod. Presented in b&w since the colors were blah. Matt

Stunning Matt. The first B&W really caught my eye between the sky and person. Just perfect if there ever was/is perfect.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks Dave. Wish I could have stayed till sunset to see what might develop but it was not meant to be. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:10 pm
Some color shots from last night at Paines Creek Beach as the evening progressed. Matt
Two nice sets. The ones with the silhouetted Tiny People in them have that kind of impact that only the human figure can give. And that last color one, with its sinuous winding leading line and rich color, is a classic landscape.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Mon Sep 10, 2018 1:50 pm

davechinn wrote:
Sun Sep 09, 2018 2:30 pm
minniev wrote:
Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:51 pm
There are all kinds of "bests". I'll post 3 that are technically far from "best" but I like them anyway, and will explain.

1. Taken two nights ago in New Orleans with my cell phone. The best camera you have is the one you have with you. We were waiting to go into a concert where cameras were forbidden, so i used what I had to capture a pretty decent urban sunset. Not all sunsets happen over the ocean.
2. Taken last week in light too low for my camera, so I accepted that I'd have a lack of detail on the front end, deliberately used all the wrong settings just to maximize light, and used way too much noise mgt in post. The result is a fairly acceptable rendition of what the scene seemed like, but with concessions.
3. Taken a couple of years back on Monhegan Island. The sunset was foggy but very beautiful. My camera, however, got stuck on jpeg and shutter priority for reasons I never understood (a reset to default settings later cured it but I didn't have time for that in the moment). So I knew I wouldn't be able to do much PP with the photos and couldn't even control all the variables I wanted. I was careful about exposure but cast everything else aside.

The last one is totally out of the park Minnie, absolutely beautiful. I have got to plan/make a trip to Monhegan Island soon.
Dave
Thanks. My favorite sunset shots seem to be mostly Monhegan. It's a wonderful photography spot. It has everything - lighthouse, dramatic sunrises/sunsets, tumultuous water, rocky shores, quaint boats, forests, an old shipwreck, architecture, flowers, birds, and terrific human characters in a place that doesn't have any vehicles to worry about.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:18 pm

Thanks Minnie. I notice, when I look at these, that the human figure does add much to the photo. If I shoot more of the sunsets, I will try to include people. There are always folks down at the beach. Matt
Matt Quinn