― Scapes ShowcaseMorning walk to the oyster beds

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Morning walk to the oyster beds

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:10 am

The granddaughter wanted to visit the oysters, so we willingly obliged. A family--retired grandparents, two sons, their spouses and pre-teen children--began raising oysters, with town approval, on the Brewster Flats about 10 years ago. The older son moved away and abandoned his plot. The second got too busy with his day job and let his go. The grands continue with theirs and sell locally. It would be too much work to take over the other two beds. They seed their beds in the frames and sort and separate them as they grow and move them to larger frames until they reach about 6 inches.

The tide rises and falls 8 to 10 feet each cycle so it covers then reveals the beds twice each day. The water recedes about a mile from the high-tide line to the low tide ripple, turns and moves back up the strand slowly, then rushes with a surprising and frightening surge that can catch you unaware. The flats are not flat but have hills and dales; you can find yourself walking in ankle-deep water then sink to your knees in the next step. The grands usually work the beds, which are a half-mile out, for about four hours ( 5 to 9 am) on the days when low tide is around 7 am and before the heat of the sun becomes unbearable.

The first photo shows the frames where the largest oysters are grown just before harvesting. The second shows the nets where the initial seeding is done. The third shows the abandoned beds of one of the sons that have been tossed and turned by storms. And the last photo was whimsy on the way out. Matt
Attachments
photoMentoris (4 of 4)-6.jpg
photoMentoris (3 of 4)-6.jpg
photoMentoris (2 of 4)-6.jpg
photoMentoris (1 of 4)-6.jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

davechinn
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by davechinn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am

Thank you for the education concerning oyster beds Matt !!! I have never seen them and actually never thought about them before. Your description encouraged me to seek more info. The photos are superb and without the description I would have had no idea what they were.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:41 am

davechinn wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:20 am
Thank you for the education concerning oyster beds Matt !!! I have never seen them and actually never thought about them before. Your description encouraged me to seek more info. The photos are superb and without the description I would have had no idea what they were.
Dave
Thanks Dave. I love Brewster oysters but will have to abstain this summer. Too risky in my condition. Maybe next year. Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm

Great informative post Matt, with good images....I have to wonder if your feeling Ok though as these are all in color.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm

Thank you, Matt, I definitely learned something new today. Beautiful picture story. I am surprised the town doesn't enforce abandoned plots to be dismantled. That said though, that last image is pretty cool. Good to see you out and about and feeling better.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:25 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:32 pm
Great informative post Matt, with good images....I have to wonder if your feeling Ok though as these are all in color.
Frank, I am feeling surprisingly good and energetic in the mornings, so I take advantage of that. The day wears, though.

I do have some b&ws if you would kindly indulge this codger. I was unable to get the blanched white of O'Keefe's cattle skulls, so I got discouraged and settled for color (!).

Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Aug 03, 2018 7:27 pm

Duck wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:02 pm
Thank you, Matt, I definitely learned something new today. Beautiful picture story. I am surprised the town doesn't enforce abandoned plots to be dismantled. That said though, that last image is pretty cool. Good to see you out and about and feeling better.
Thanks Duck. I think the town has other problems and concerns and probably lets nature/tide/weather/storms take their toll. Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:10 pm

Duck wrote:
What Duck said, and I wondered about the abandoned beds too...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:01 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:10 pm
Duck wrote:
What Duck said, and I wondered about the abandoned beds too...
Chuck, I guess the abandoned beds may have become something of an "installation." They remind me of the Sydney Opera House -- sorta. Matt
Matt Quinn

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Sat Aug 04, 2018 4:42 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:10 am
The granddaughter wanted to visit the oysters, so we willingly obliged. A family--retired grandparents, two sons, their spouses and pre-teen children--began raising oysters, with town approval, on the Brewster Flats about 10 years ago. The older son moved away and abandoned his plot. The second got too busy with his day job and let his go. The grands continue with theirs and sell locally. It would be too much work to take over the other two beds. They seed their beds in the frames and sort and separate them as they grow and move them to larger frames until they reach about 6 inches.

The tide rises and falls 8 to 10 feet each cycle so it covers then reveals the beds twice each day. The water recedes about a mile from the high-tide line to the low tide ripple, turns and moves back up the strand slowly, then rushes with a surprising and frightening surge that can catch you unaware. The flats are not flat but have hills and dales; you can find yourself walking in ankle-deep water then sink to your knees in the next step. The grands usually work the beds, which are a half-mile out, for about four hours ( 5 to 9 am) on the days when low tide is around 7 am and before the heat of the sun becomes unbearable.

The first photo shows the frames where the largest oysters are grown just before harvesting. The second shows the nets where the initial seeding is done. The third shows the abandoned beds of one of the sons that have been tossed and turned by storms. And the last photo was whimsy on the way out. Matt
This is a fascinating photo story, which, when matched with your narrative, tells most of us something we never even imagined.

BUT- the last two are something else again. They are art. The last one needs printing and framing. It may also need a trial at conversion to black and white. Or some other kind of creative presentation.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones