"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes ShowcaseStrawberry Moon

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Strawberry Moon

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am

Strawberry Moon. S-
Attachments
IMG_3657-1-2.jpg
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 8:17 am
Strawberry Moon. S-
Gee that’s a pretty one. I can see all the formations in detail. And the delicate color. I completely forgot about it! What were your settings?

I tried for the strawberry moon the last two years with poor results. Year before last I trekked out onto the beach with tripod and camera and a curious little boy but no SD card. :wall:
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm

Nice one

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm

lots of detail, good job

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:40 am
Gee that’s a pretty one. I can see all the formations in detail. And the delicate color. I completely forgot about it! What were your settings?

I tried for the strawberry moon the last two years with poor results. Year before last I trekked out onto the beach with tripod and camera and a curious little boy but no SD card. :wall:
I might tone down the strawberry a little, somewhere between this and the one above, but I think it's my best full moon so far.

I pretty much noviced-it when I stepped out but eventually remembered how to shoot it and used my trusty landscape settings.
- Aperture, ISO 100, F/11 and adjusted the Exposure Compensation to ETTR, on the tripod with a ten-second timer

I bracketed this at a full stop making sure the high-stop was at the ETTR, but then I remembered I don't have the option to combine shots in my Lightroom so I ended up editing the darker of the three and think it turned out better than expected.

The thing to remember about the moon is that it's almost as bright as the Sun, that and it moves faster than you'd think. S-
Attachments
IMG_3657-1.jpg

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:18 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:02 pm
Nice one
I almost forgot about it. Thank you so much! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:19 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:30 pm
lots of detail, good job
Thank you so much! I started to sharpen it but didn't like the way was looking so I let it be. S-

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm

I might tone down the strawberry a little, somewhere between this and the one above, but I think it's my best full moon so far.

I pretty much noviced-it when I stepped out but eventually remembered how to shoot it and used my trusty landscape settings.
- Aperture, ISO 100, F/11 and adjusted the Exposure Compensation to ETTR, on the tripod with a ten-second timer

I bracketed this at a full stop making sure the high-stop was at the ETTR, but then I remembered I don't have the option to combine shots in my Lightroom so I ended up editing the darker of the three and think it turned out better than expected.

The thing to remember about the moon is that it's almost as bright as the Sun, that and it moves faster than you'd think. S-
I agree with your assessment, and you've had some other nice moons to compare it to. What focal length?

I've read that the moon should be treated as if it's Sunny Sixteen, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Not unusual for me!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:31 pm
I agree with your assessment, and you've had some other nice moons to compare it to. What focal length?

I've read that the moon should be treated as if it's Sunny Sixteen, but it doesn't seem to work that way for me, so I'm sure I'm doing something wrong. Not unusual for me!
I've read ISO 100, f/11, 1/125, or ISO 200, f/11, 1/250, but I'm always open to experimentation!

I shot this with my 70-200 and a doubler all the way out on a 1.6 crop sensor, so essentially 200x2x1.6= 640mm but the image was still quite small on the back of the camera and is heavily cropped on the final. You may need a monster lens to see the cities there! S-

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:25 pm

I've read ISO 100, f/11, 1/125, or ISO 200, f/11, 1/250, but I'm always open to experimentation!

I shot this with my 70-200 and a doubler all the way out on a 1.6 crop sensor, so essentially 200x2x1.6= 640mm but the image was still quite small on the back of the camera and is heavily cropped on the final. You may need a monster lens to see the cities there! S-
I have tried my best lens, a 50-200 which is equivalent to 400 maxed out, and got better results with it than with the longer but lesser 70-300 which would be about 600 maxed out. I'd lose a lot of light with that longer one since the 50-200 is 2.0 all the way through the range, and with my camera, light costs detail and you pay in noise. I've got some on occasion that I was moderately satisfied with but not like yours!