― Scapes ShowcaseA Sunset over a Christmas Tree Farm

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

A Sunset over a Christmas Tree Farm

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:31 am

I debated with myself whether to show these at all, but then I saw Frank's (Psjunkie) glowing sunset (that I like very much) and decided to go for broke. They're quite old, made in 2010 with my pocket Nikon P5000. The original is a JPEG because the P5000 didn't output raw, and I was always a little disappointed in it because the picture did not look at all like I remembered the scene. I've been going back through old stuff a lot (being somewhat housebound due to winter and illness) and when I came across the original of this (which is below) I wondered if I could make something better out of it in Lightroom. :|
Attachments
DSCN6221.EMlr.jpg
This is the redo in Lightroom, striving to make the picture I saw when I originally made it.
DSCN6221.EMlr-2.jpg
This is the original SOOC JPEG, and I suspect you can see why I never did anything with it at the time it was made 'cuz it's just meh.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 am

Maybe somewhere in between for me Chuck, but I like it. Glad I got the debate off high center...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 am

Chuck, I agree with Frank; a little in between. Lovely. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:13 am
Maybe somewhere in between for me Chuck, but I like it. Glad I got the debate off high center...
Matt Quinn wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:49 am
Chuck, I agree with Frank; a little in between. Lovely. Matt
Thanks, fellas. But too much, huh? I still like it. It's how I remember it. I think it's how the scene made me feel, and I think that's part of the "art" (such as it is). :) Might could be a topic for discussion...
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm
...I think it's how the scene made me feel, and I think that's part of the "art" (such as it is). :) Might could be a topic for discussion...
Ayuh, I agree it makes for a great discussion topic. It's a very interesting part of of the art IMO! Everyone responds differently, with feelings based on their past experiences, knowledge, likes/dislikes. And of course what their own interests are with photography and pp.

Projecting a feeling is what I've been often trying to achieve, and often failing - many times because I don't go quite far enough. But I also understand that the "failure" may be just that some of the folks responding didn't enjoy the image and I do very much believe in "eye of the beholder."

Sort of like polls where you have to take an action (read, fill in, click or mail) - are you more likely to do that if you are passionate about the issue and does it depend on whether your passion is in agreement or disagreement...

I like the re-do and don't find it too much of a good thing, I have seen some "unreal" sunsets in person, though I have also saturated a few in pp, lol, and because I know how depressing gray/white/brown winters can be, when a pick-me-up is much needed.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm

I am enjoying the clarity of the snow.. looking and missing the road. For me, the roadway and foreground was more interesting than the sky, though you chose to make it about the sky. About feelings, like sometimes triggered by music, it is very personal and does not translate. You are the only person who knew what you felt - though some feelings are universal (like captured expressions).

I know that I have some dog pictures that I have such strong feelings about that I can't even look at them (a dog that died). The point being that others would see such images for what they are, but I see (feel?) those images in a completely different way. So, anyway, much dialog to say that I think feelings are super powerful, but difficult to share. It becomes a personal victory when you accomplish it!

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:08 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:58 pm
Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:04 pm
...I think it's how the scene made me feel, and I think that's part of the "art" (such as it is). :) Might could be a topic for discussion...
Ayuh, I agree it makes for a great discussion topic. It's a very interesting part of of the art IMO! Everyone responds differently, with feelings based on their past experiences, knowledge, likes/dislikes. And of course what their own interests are with photography and pp.

Projecting a feeling is what I've been often trying to achieve, and often failing - many times because I don't go quite far enough. But I also understand that the "failure" may be just that some of the folks responding didn't enjoy the image and I do very much believe in "eye of the beholder."

Sort of like polls where you have to take an action (read, fill in, click or mail) - are you more likely to do that if you are passionate about the issue and does it depend on whether your passion is in agreement or disagreement...

I like the re-do and don't find it too much of a good thing, I have seen some "unreal" sunsets in person, though I have also saturated a few in pp, lol, and because I know how depressing gray/white/brown winters can be, when a pick-me-up is much needed.
PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:24 pm
I am enjoying the clarity of the snow.. looking and missing the road. For me, the roadway and foreground was more interesting than the sky, though you chose to make it about the sky. About feelings, like sometimes triggered by music, it is very personal and does not translate. You are the only person who knew what you felt - though some feelings are universal (like captured expressions).

I know that I have some dog pictures that I have such strong feelings about that I can't even look at them (a dog that died). The point being that others would see such images for what they are, but I see (feel?) those images in a completely different way. So, anyway, much dialog to say that I think feelings are super powerful, but difficult to share. It becomes a personal victory when you accomplish it!
Linda and Piet, I agree with you both, and Piet, I know what you mean about not being able to share the emotion evoked by a specific picture. Anyway, below is a different crop to include more foreground and the roadway (with some of the asphalt healed because I didn't like it showing).
Attachments
DSCN6221.EMlr-3.jpg
Same as the original post except the crop has been changed, and the asphalt in the roadway healed somewhat because that was one reason that I cropped it in the earlier version.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm

I was admiring your clouds so much in #1 I hadn't noticed that the trees were tight to bottom of frame. I like the re-crop better. A bit more room to wander around :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm
I was admiring your clouds so much in #1 I hadn't noticed that the trees were tight to bottom of frame. I like the re-crop better. A bit more room to wander around :)
I also like this crop better. Piet, you wuz right! (Y)

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Mar 02, 2018 2:02 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:56 pm
LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:53 pm
I also like this crop better. Piet, you wuz right! (Y)
I'm usually good for that during a blue moon and of course twice a day (as is a broken clock)