The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Scapes ShowcaseReal Moons

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Real Moons

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:38 pm

To expand on discussion regarding light and the moon, and shooting the moon at sunset or sunrise.

1. Unedited except in PS Elements' version of ACR. Shot from my balcony on January 30 at 4:49 pm, with official sunset time listed as 5:03 pm.

2. The photo - including clouds - that I used in my most recent composite (shot just a few minutes after #1, though I have managed to delete the raw inadvertently, so don't have the exact time). I think I adjusted WB to make the moon whiter than it actually was at that moment. But it does change fairly quickly once rises above the "gunk" of lower atmosphere.

3. and 4. Grabbed from another site in thumbnail form. From 2013 when I first got interested in shooting the moon during daylight. Initially I did more moonrise at sunset than moonset at sunrise like I shoot now. Let me tell you, the first glimpses of that orange orb peeking over the horizon are mighty fun moments! #4 - clouds lit by setting sun, also from my balcony - I recognize the tree :)
Attachments
P1300007.jpg
P1300016.jpg
slr_oct18moon_033.jpg
slr_oct18moon_033.jpg (52.43 KiB) Viewed 431 times
img_7511.jpg
img_7511.jpg (13.32 KiB) Viewed 431 times
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm

Your balcony is your happy place, Linda. I prefer #1 to the others. It's familiar, I guess, and I feel at ease with it. For me, the others are neat experiments and evidence of your creative bent. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:11 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:15 pm
Your balcony is your happy place, Linda. I prefer #1 to the others. It's familiar, I guess, and I feel at ease with it. For me, the others are neat experiments and evidence of your creative bent. Matt
Very interesting to know, Matt! All are straight shots, but I do understand about "familiarity." Most people don't spend a lot of time thinking about the moon, let alone shooting it at different phases, times of day, locations. Thanks so much for taking a look.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:57 pm

Love 'em all. Maaaaaayyyybe favor 1 and 3 slightly for the foregrounds, esp. 3 for the fall colors and yellow moon. Those are great. So shaaaaaarp! I gotta try more moon pictures. I've done practically none. For you they've become a muse. (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:48 pm

These kinds of clouds are perfect for photos of or including the moon. I like all of them. That third one is really nice. My "spinner" assignment this week is the moon, but we haven't seen a moon all week and tonight is no better. It can be an elusive target. You do a good job of keeping just the right degree of detail to suit the image. It's harder than it looks like it ought to be.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:58 am

you have completely convinced me that moons are well worth collecting.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Feb 07, 2018 1:15 pm

Chuck, Minnie and Piet - thanks so much for taking a look. Very glad you enjoyed!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Feb 26, 2018 7:50 pm

The first is my favorite and I'm trying to figure out why. Is it the centered composition, or the colors or the tone? I think it's all of them, but mostly the composition as it's how we look at it. I don't see a moon as big as the second often, and I don't look at them to the left as in the third. The fourth is pretty but the same, like looking at a child off to the side, it's not comforting, and yet I remember there being a lot of tension on the internet about placing images in the center. Humn? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"