― Scapes ShowcaseBlue Hour with my New A6000

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Blue Hour with my New A6000

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm

These are a little disappointing because I was experimenting like mad and, while not freezing, it was quite cold, which made struggling with a new camera and menus challenging. These are at Lincoln's Sunken Gardens, not very attractive this time of year except they put in Christmas lights. I kept delaying going over there since the temperatures have on several days been well below zero and most days well below freezing. We have a thaw right now so I thought this is a good time to try the new camera, but being this late after the holidays most of the lights are already off, plus we had a snow but it melted... it just wasn't good. I managed to find these two situations. The critics may be right about the kit lenses being pretty bleary (although this is not a completely fair test being in full manual under practically no light). I'm also still fighting this dratted bronchitis. I'll do better next time! 8):
Attachments
DSC00064.EMlr.jpg
30 seconds
FNumber 22
ExposureProgram Manual
ISO 100
This was made at f/22 deliberately to get the little starbursts on the lights. I'm a little disappointed that nothing seems particularly sharp, which might be due to diffraction; it may be this kit 16-50 mm doesn't like being stopped all the way down. I also had the thing in full manual including focus, but the focus magnifier is excellent so I was a little surprised at nothing being terribly sharp (I was focused on the farther lights).
DSC00055.EMlr.jpg
1.5 seconds
FNumber 4
ExposureProgram Manual
ISO 100
Rebekah at the Well, Fountain (not running in winter)
This one is also disappointing, partly because I pretty much blew the shot by including some sky. I think I could and should have gotten the camera higher. I was trying and failing to get the auto bracket working in the chill air (I've got it now but this was then). I'd thought this was an ideal situation for HDR but learning to navigate a new camera and menu in the cold, eh, not so much.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:04 pm
These are a little disappointing because I was experimenting like mad and, while not freezing, it was quite cold, which made struggling with a new camera and menus challenging. These are at Lincoln's Sunken Gardens, not very attractive this time of year except they put in Christmas lights. I kept delaying going over there since the temperatures have on several days been well below zero and most days well below freezing. We have a thaw right now so I thought this is a good time to try the new camera, but being this late after the holidays most of the lights are already off, plus we had a snow but it melted... it just wasn't good. I managed to find these two situations. The critics may be right about the kit lenses being pretty bleary (although this is not a completely fair test being in full manual under practically no light). I'm also still fighting this dratted bronchitis. I'll do better next time! 8):
Ii think they're wonderful Chuck, I'd be very happy to take these two home! The lights look great with that starburst effect, really magical, and I love the contrast between the cold blues and warm yellows.

Bronchitis takes a long time to get over, I am here to testify. It seemed that the wheezing went on forever. Be patient with yourself but don't give in to the stuff.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 pm

I agree with Minnie's use of "magical" - especially re #2. Just a very unique and appealing shot. The starbursts on the tree in #1 are cool, as is the gazebo-whatever structure.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm

Chuck, looks like you are going to enjoy your big-boy camera very much. The images are rich in dynamic range and detail.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
Chuck, These are lustrous. Can't wait to see what you get once you master the beast. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:27 am

minniev wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:20 pm
Ii think they're wonderful Chuck, I'd be very happy to take these two home! The lights look great with that starburst effect, really magical, and I love the contrast between the cold blues and warm yellows.

Bronchitis takes a long time to get over, I am here to testify. It seemed that the wheezing went on forever. Be patient with yourself but don't give in to the stuff.
Thanks, Min. All you guys are too kind. :|
LindaShorey wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:10 pm
I agree with Minnie's use of "magical" - especially re #2. Just a very unique and appealing shot. The starbursts on the tree in #1 are cool, as is the gazebo-whatever structure.
Thanks, Linda. You are all too kind but I liked the starbursts too. I read someplace that f/22 will do it so I tried it.
PietFrancke wrote:
Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:17 pm
Chuck, looks like you are going to enjoy your big-boy camera very much. The images are rich in dynamic range and detail.
Thanks, Piet! Too kind! Too kind@!
Matt Quinn wrote:
Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:00 am
Chuck, These are lustrous. Can't wait to see what you get once you master the beast. Matt
Thanks, Matt. I'm looking forward to training it on Andi. I'm hoping the thing will help keep up with her. :D
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
I'm not sure I had your exact lens, but it looks like the Sony 16-50mm lens is sharpest at f/5.6 and extends to f/11.
- Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens Review

I like the images, it's cold and dark so I don't expect razor-sharp images, I'm looking more for the story and like this one! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:22 pm
I'm not sure I had your exact lens, but it looks like the Sony 16-50mm lens is sharpest at f/5.6 and extends to f/11.
- Sony E 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS Lens Review

I like the images, it's cold and dark so I don't expect razor-sharp images, I'm looking more for the story and like this one! S-
Thank you, Steve, and especially thanks for the link. Yes, that is the exact lens, and the article is very interesting, especially about how the Lens does not perform as well at smaller apertures, which is not really surprising (often it is due to diffraction). I was stopped down that far to get the DOF I thought I needed. I'm thinking maybe I'll get one of them newfangled DOF calculators for my phone. :cheers:

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:32 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:
Wed Feb 21, 2018 4:28 pm
... I'm thinking maybe I'll get one of them newfangled DOF calculators for my phone. :cheers:
Write a nice review of it for us, or better yet make a cool YouTube! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"