The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Scapes ShowcasePretty in Pink

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pretty in Pink

Post by LindaShorey » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm

Twice in one month I saw Mt Rainier with a loosely formed cap cloud start to glow pink as the sun was rising. From Yakima we can see just the top 1/3 because of foreground foothills, but this was the only color and light for a moment - quite a treat. I pp'd for soft 'cause ISO was in the stratosphere (maybe in 2018 I'll buy another tripod... :D ) No critique requested, just sharing. Thanks!
Attachments
1 PC160006.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by PietFrancke » Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm

I think it's awesome Linda, I like how the shapes repeat, the cloud cap, the layers of hills, even the phone lines. All horizontal and the mountain a exploding through it all.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 pm

Looks like an artist took a brush and scrubbed in a little color to break up the monotony of the sky. The whole image reminds me of an oil painting.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus

Post by minniev » Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:49 pm
Twice in one month I saw Mt Rainier with a loosely formed cap cloud start to glow pink as the sun was rising. From Yakima we can see just the top 1/3 because of foreground foothills, but this was the only color and light for a moment - quite a treat. I pp'd for soft 'cause ISO was in the stratosphere (maybe in 2018 I'll buy another tripod... :D ) No critique requested, just sharing. Thanks!
That's the kind of cloud I've always yearned to see but never have. Have seen lots of neat pictures (now one more!) but I wanta see the real thing. Amazing color.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 am

Lenticular cloud! Wow! Wow! Gaw-juss! I agree with Duck: it looks like an oil. I don't care if the ISO was "stratospheric" (and I don't think 3200 is that bad), and anyway I think we all maybe make too much fuss over "noise." Noise is not evil and wicked and is not all that hard to control anyway. I've never had that much trouble with it having long standardized on 400-speed films when I shot film. I think of noise as just digital grain, and grain is what makes up the picture. You don't (or shouldn't) get your nose up to it anyway. This picture is meant to be enjoyed for what it is: a distant beauty. (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 am

I'm in awe of the color but what I like most is the overall softness of the image. I love it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 pm

minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm
That's the kind of cloud I've always yearned to see but never have. Have seen lots of neat pictures (now one more!) but I wanta see the real thing. Amazing color.
We have seen them occasionally. I even got a picture of one once. They can be really spectacular. Lenticular clouds (because of the lens-like shape) tend to form around mountains a lot because they are shaped by air currents that mountains have. Big mountains create their own weather anyway.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
Linda, Splendid. I see wind-blown tresses, hear soft wind-song in the rolling hills, and join the applause from the maestro on the lower left. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:36 pm
I think it's awesome Linda, I like how the shapes repeat, the cloud cap, the layers of hills, even the phone lines. All horizontal and the mountain a exploding through it all.
Love your description, Piet. Thank you! Although I suppose with volcanoes near urban areas, "explode" is something we want to avoid :)
Duck wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:34 pm
Looks like an artist took a brush and scrubbed in a little color to break up the monotony of the sky. The whole image reminds me of an oil painting.
Thanks so much for commenting, Duck. Hopefully, seeing an "oil painting" here was a pleasurable experience :)
minniev wrote:
Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:45 pm
Thanks for viewing, Minnie! There is a much smaller mountain nearby that I've photo'd orange/red in several winters - must be the angle of sun at this time of year and other weather conditions. As you know, one can rarely go wrong being out at sunrise!
Charles Haacker wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:02 am
Lenticular cloud! Wow! Wow! Gaw-juss! I agree with Duck: it looks like an oil. I don't care if the ISO was "stratospheric" (and I don't think 3200 is that bad), and anyway I think we all maybe make too much fuss over "noise." ...
Thank you Chuck! Noise rarely bothers me in the way it does some, but I do feel there are subjects that lend themselves to tolerating or embracing that look more than others - such as the bird on telephone pole whose head Duck suggested I twist so it faced the moon :) Very glad you enjoyed! And also for posting your link to a lenticular cloud you saw. I see them around here probably once a quarter or so, but do like those stylin' caps the volcanoes wear.
St3v3M wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:10 am
I'm in awe of the color but what I like most is the overall softness of the image. I love it! S-
Thanks so much, Steve. It seemed to be a good direction to go for the clouds and overall mood.
Matt Quinn wrote:
Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:44 pm
Linda, Splendid. I see wind-blown tresses, hear soft wind-song in the rolling hills, and join the applause from the maestro on the lower left. Matt
Matt, your poetic use of English just blows me away! Thanks so much for commenting. Delighted you enjoyed the photo!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:57 pm

LindaShorey wrote:

Not only pretty in pink, but also pretty in blue !!! Maybe this is one I should see in real time. Thanks for sharing Linda.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey