― Scapes Showcasea sense of place

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

a sense of place

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:13 pm

and of space - we have been busy buying and moving into a fixer upper which will keep me poor but busy. Hopefully I can get more shots, saw a Northern Harrier hawk hunting the marsh today.
sunset.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:24 pm

Gorgeous landscapes. The first two look a little underexposed though. Might want to check your monitor.
I guess a set of waders is on your Christmas list?
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:30 pm

Hope you don't get too busy.....enjoyable images Piet.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 12:01 am

thank you Frank and Duck - Duck, no waders for me, (but am tempted on a kayak after things settle down), squish, squash, lots of other places to walk, and so far... my yellow lab is staying out of the marsh. and thus, she is still yellow!! I agree about the under-exposure, but it seemed as if the colors and mood were nicer that way (though I will acknowledge that with a little bit of trouble, the sky could easily have been restored if I let more light in) - the sun was over the horizon. If I remember right, the second was taken after the first.

pop511
Mentoris Dominus
Mentoris Dominus

Post by pop511 » Tue Nov 28, 2017 10:34 am

Why oh why do we have to say that a picture is under exposed because the exposure range is not dragged all the way to the right.
I know by looking at them, what time of the day it was taken and so enjoy them for what they are.
Have fun
ed
ed davis

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:09 pm

The mood of #1 is so appealing. Yes, a wee too dark on my monitor too, even in a dark room with screen brightness on high. Nothing to do with exposure, just ability to see the scene :) Good to know you took a little time from your busy, expensive other "hobby" to enjoy the serenity and beauty of the area. Thanks for the lovely series.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Nov 28, 2017 6:10 pm

pop511 wrote:Why oh why do we have to say that a picture is underexposed because the exposure range is not dragged all the way to the right.

There could be any number of reasons; :photo:
1. His screen calibration may be off. It may look correct for him but nobody else.
2. We are here to learn. The goal is to become better, not stay in mediocrity.
3. He is getting an honest feedback on an obvious problem. If 99% of the people say it's wrong, it's not seen as an artistic choice.
4. Because as an instructor I am compelled to say something. Sorry, it's in my nature.

Yes, I know this is not a critique board but I felt there was an issue that looked like it may be mechanical (screen calibration being off) and he may want to be made aware of it. It happens more often than you think. Just looking out for him, that's all. I would hope someone did the same for me. Cover each other's back.

:cheers:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator

Post by minniev » Tue Nov 28, 2017 7:58 pm

PietFrancke wrote:and of space - we have been busy buying and moving into a fixer upper which will keep me poor but busy. Hopefully I can get more shots, saw a Northern Harrier hawk hunting the marsh today.
sunset.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

Piet, that first one is a beauty. Taken all together these give a real sense of your new home, with the vast sky above the equally vast wetlands. You'll have endless opportunity here for your art.

The first two seem a tad dark for me but I know you favor a darker set of tones than most of us. It works better for me in the first than the second, where me and my cataracts are struggling to find detail in those beautiful grasses. These are in your traditional style, and you're the boss of it, so carry on! I'm delighted to see some of Piet's Darkside images again!
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:56 pm

thank you guys - about brightness... I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket. I think my monitor is ok, but for some reason I prefer them darker - I might be more sensitive to light, my IQ, um.. I mean my ISO is around 50. And a bad habit I have is viewing these images on my monitor in a dark room. One thing for sure, every time I print one, I am sorry as it comes out much darker than I thought it would, but I think it is me, not my monitor since I view my images from a number of different monitors and it unlikely they are all off. It is me...

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Wed Nov 29, 2017 1:43 am

PietFrancke wrote:thank you guys - about brightness... I know I'm not the brightest bulb in the socket. I think my monitor is ok, but for some reason I prefer them darker - I might be more sensitive to light, my IQ, um.. I mean my ISO is around 50. And a bad habit I have is viewing these images on my monitor in a dark room. One thing for sure, every time I print one, I am sorry as it comes out much darker than I thought it would, but I think it is me, not my monitor since I view my images from a number of different monitors and it unlikely they are all off. It is me...

IQ, ISO...too funny :D

I wonder if one factor is that you already know what you're seeing whereas we don't? But I've known people with extreme light sensitivity so that's an interesting possibility.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt