The only person you should try to be better than is who you were yesterday. – unknown

― Scapes ShowcaseWaiting

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Waiting

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Nov 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Between flights at Dulles International Airport, I wandered around with my iPhone. When I found this area, I waited patiently for someone to arrive at the far right, but to no avail. Finally, a couple appeared at the top of the escalator, upper left, and I had to go with that. Matt
Dulles International Airport (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 pm

Now I don't feel as crazy when I was doing the same thing in Denver on a layover. People gave me odd looks, and I kept waiting for Security to haul me away.

I really like this but can't decide if I like it as is or as a square crop. I think I'll stick to as is! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:57 pm

St3v3M wrote:Now I don't feel as crazy when I was doing the same thing in Denver on a layover. People gave me odd looks, and I kept waiting for Security to haul me away.

I really like this but can't decide if I like it as is or as a square crop. I think I'll stick to as is! S-

I have looked at this again a few times and think I'll crop out the people at the top of the escalator. Square might work very nicely. I'll give that a shot. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:17 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:I have looked at this again a few times and think I'll crop out the people at the top of the escalator. Square might work very nicely. I'll give that a shot. Matt

You would have laughed if you saw me standing there in the middle of the train station waiting for an empty escalator.

This is a wonderful image. I hope you do more like this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:16 am

This is a rather dizzying image. I am so glad you waited for the human element to enter the frame as I feel it adds both a sense of scale and context to the overall image. The B&W treatment really works well with this scene. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:53 am

Duck wrote:This is a rather dizzying image. I am so glad you waited for the human element to enter the frame as I feel it adds both a sense of scale and context to the overall image. The B&W treatment really works well with this scene. :thumbup:

Thanks Duck. I was hesitant to include the people, they are so far up and on the fringe. Your comment helps. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:59 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Duck. I was hesitant to include the people, they are so far up and on the fringe. Your comment helps. Matt

As a human, I feel that seeing another person in an image helps me connect on a higher level with the image. Had this not had people in it the scene would have a lonely, barren and somber mood. People also help give a scene a sense of scale, specially with large expanses as you are showing here. In the end it's all up to what mood you're trying to convey. If the space is quiet and empty, removing people instills that in the viewer.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:00 pm

Duck wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks Duck. I was hesitant to include the people, they are so far up and on the fringe. Your comment helps. Matt

As a human, I feel that seeing another person in an image helps me connect on a higher level with the image. Had this not had people in it the scene would have a lonely, barren and somber mood. People also help give a scene a sense of scale, specially with large expanses as you are showing here. In the end it's all up to what mood you're trying to convey. If the space is quiet and empty, removing people instills that in the viewer.

Thanks, Duck. This will help me reflect on what I want to convey before tripping the shutter. I wanted a combo here of the clean, antiseptic, austere hallway with a tiny figure in the distance at the top of the stairs on the middle right side, a small, impersonal, casual cipher in the scene. But it didn't develop that way so I took what was given. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:47 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks, Duck. This will help me reflect on what I want to convey before tripping the shutter. I wanted a combo here of the clean, antiseptic, austere hallway with a tiny figure in the distance at the top of the stairs on the middle right side, a small, impersonal, casual cipher in the scene. But it didn't develop that way so I took what was given. Thanks. Matt

It's a shame your vision didn't pan out. That would have been a more impactful image, I think
As for reflecting before the shutter press, there's nothing wrong with taking multiple shots with different situations and pick from the best. Sometimes I am often surprised by something I grabbed that wasn't in my initial thoughts. A "happy accident", as they say. ;)

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:25 pm

Duck wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks, Duck. This will help me reflect on what I want to convey before tripping the shutter. I wanted a combo here of the clean, antiseptic, austere hallway with a tiny figure in the distance at the top of the stairs on the middle right side, a small, impersonal, casual cipher in the scene. But it didn't develop that way so I took what was given. Thanks. Matt

It's a shame your vision didn't pan out. That would have been a more impactful image, I think
As for reflecting before the shutter press, there's nothing wrong with taking multiple shots with different situations and pick from the best. Sometimes I am often surprised by something I grabbed that wasn't in my initial thoughts. A "happy accident", as they say. ;)

Thanks Duck. I have some questions about PS which I am struggling to learn through Lynda and Youtube tutorials. May I send you a question or two when I hit a wall? Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn