"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes ShowcaseBaby's first sunset; Rock Harbor, Cape Cod

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Baby's first sunset; Rock Harbor, Cape Cod

Post by Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:51 am

For photos that I post on pM, I try to use a caption that expresses what I imagine could be going on, not what was actually happening. I don't know these people and whether or not this is the baby's first sunset. Since I am not mentioning names or reporting, I feel the freedom to wax rhapsodic. What do others think?

I took this with my iPhone and don't know how to correct for the leaning figure at the end of the jetty, if that is at all possible. I did no pp on this at all. This is what was there. As the evening progressed, it got even more stunning. But I had to leave before the curtain fell. Matt
Attachments
Baby's first sunset (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:35 pm

Strong silhouettes with emotion. Gorgeous sky color. The overall impact is strong, and a bit of lean is no issue - maybe he was really doing that :)

Regarding titles for photos, here's an interesting article (I think Minnie first provided it in another forum):
https://guytal.com/wordpress/2013/07/18 ... conundrum/

Other people have shared their thoughts and questions:
Is the image worthy of standing on its own? Can a title enhance a viewer's experience? Titles can prepare a viewer for what to expect. Some people choose fanciful or descriptive or none, based on the image - each case being different. Some prefer to use no title, ever, so as not to bias the viewer whereas other folks want to give the viewer an insight into the making. I guess I would extend the "It's your image, do what you like to it" pov to titles as well, with the footnote that a viewer may still not "get" the mood or feeling, even with a bit of nudge.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:09 am

Thank you, Linda. And thanks for the reference. I have read many of Guy's essays in Lenswork and would love to take a course with him. Out of my reach, however. Matt
Matt Quinn

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:26 am

Love it. It's gorgeous. And no processing? Wow! That's impressive! Regarding the lean, if I'd made it I'd clone him out. He can be straightened, but the reason I'd take him out is that he strikes me as a bit of a distraction from the family group. The other couple are fine, far enough away and necessary (I believe) for the overall human interconnection to a terrific sunset. The leaning man could go.
I am not religious, but who doesn't love a good sunset? And I always remember the line, "Do you like it? I made it just for you." (Y)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:51 am

Thanks, Chuck. I agree about the leaner and will try some PS magic. Love the candids in the Street discussion. Very real. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:50 pm

If you know me you know I'm curious by nature and love to see through another's eyes so I'm always disappointed when I visit a museum and the art is Untitled. Sometimes I feel like the artist, an artistic person who can make something beautiful was just lazy and didn't want to take the time to name something, but then at other times I think the artist wanted you to imagine a title all on your own. I'm never sure which, but for me at least, that little insight of those few words brings some comfort that the artist thought enough of their work to give you a brief insight to what they were thinking and what they want you to see.
- I thought this interesting enough to start a new Topic - To Title, Or Not To Tile? That Is The Question.

I like too that you are using your phone more and more. I'm not sure I'll ever give up my camera but have found my phone to be handy more than once and am glad others are finding the same as well. As for postprocessing, Snapseed is easy to use, but there are others out there depending on your needs.
- And for the Androids out there! Snapseed

I hope this helps! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:52 pm

LindaShorey wrote:...
Regarding titles for photos, here's an interesting article (I think Minnie first provided it in another forum):
https://guytal.com/wordpress/2013/07/18 ... conundrum/

Other people have shared their thoughts and questions:
Is the image worthy of standing on its own? Can a title enhance a viewer's experience? Titles can prepare a viewer for what to expect. Some people choose fanciful or descriptive or none, based on the image - each case being different. Some prefer to use no title, ever, so as not to bias the viewer whereas other folks want to give the viewer an insight into the making. I guess I would extend the "It's your image, do what you like to it" pov to titles as well, with the footnote that a viewer may still not "get" the mood or feeling, even with a bit of nudge.

I love this and hope you add it to the Title No Title topic! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:22 pm

St3v3M wrote:If you know me you know I'm curious by nature and love to see through another's eyes so I'm always disappointed when I visit a museum and the art is Untitled. Sometimes I feel like the artist, an artistic person who can make something beautiful was just lazy and didn't want to take the time to name something, but then at other times I think the artist wanted you to imagine a title all on your own. I'm never sure which, but for me at least, that little insight of those few words brings some comfort that the artist thought enough of their work to give you a brief insight to what they were thinking and what they want you to see.
- I thought this interesting enough to start a new Topic - To Title, Or Not To Tile? That Is The Question.

I like too that you are using your phone more and more. I'm not sure I'll ever give up my camera but have found my phone to be handy more than once and am glad others are finding the same as well. As for postprocessing, Snapseed is easy to use, but there are others out there depending on your needs.
- And for the Androids out there! Snapseed

I hope this helps! S-

Thank you Steve. Yes, it helps as do all the conversations, comments and points of view. Learning a lot. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:40 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thank you Steve. Yes, it helps as do all the conversations, comments and points of view. Learning a lot. Matt

Excellent! S-