― Scapes ShowcaseFoggy morning at Paines Creek Beach

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Foggy morning at Paines Creek Beach

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:22 am

Nothing deep about what I do, Steve; more hit or miss. I don't bracket. I used to but didn't find it gave me what I wanted even when I tried different values, e.g., +1/3,0,-1/3; +1,0,-1; and other combos. So, I expose on what I think is mid-gray in the scene, frame and take my first shot; then I look at the histogram. If I need more lights or darks, then I look around the scene for light that might make my photo lighter or darker, expose and take a shot. If that doesn't work, I modify the light object I use for exposing, depending on whether I need more lights or more darks. I take a shot. If I like it, okay. If I don't, I repeat till I get what I want. If a shot is too dark, I expose on a darker object to get more light in, then shoot. And vice-versa for the lights. Sometimes this doesn't work and I move on. If you want I can send you a series of shots and try to recall what I did for each. Thanks for the interest. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:25 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Nothing deep about what I do, Steve; more hit or miss. I don't bracket. I used to but didn't find it gave me what I wanted even when I tried different values, e.g., +1/3,0,-1/3; +1,0,-1; and other combos. So, I expose on what I think is mid-gray in the scene, frame and take my first shot; then I look at the histogram. If I need more lights or darks, then I look around the scene for light that might make my photo lighter or darker, expose and take a shot. If that doesn't work, I modify the light object I use for exposing, depending on whether I need more lights or more darks. I take a shot. If I like it, okay. If I don't, I repeat till I get what I want. If a shot is too dark, I expose on a darker object to get more light in, then shoot. And vice-versa for the lights. Sometimes this doesn't work and I move on. If you want I can send you a series of shots and try to recall what I did for each. Thanks for the interest. Matt

I think I understand and have thought to do the same, but I seem to be more visual now and would appreciate the series.

If you're up for it would you mind posting it as a Tutorial? It doesn't have to be anything formal, just you and me talking.

This really is helpful by the way. I'm heading to bad weather this weekend and hope to try this out. Thank you so much! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 07, 2017 12:27 pm

Thanks for the compliment. I will put something together and share it with you. Safe and happy trip. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sat Oct 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks for the compliment. I will put something together and share it with you. Safe and happy trip. Matt

Thank you! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

St3v3M wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:Thanks for the compliment. I will put something together and share it with you. Safe and happy trip. Matt

Thank you! S-

Steve, As promised. All the photos were hand-held, so the composition is not exactly the same in all, but close enough, I believe. No pp on any of these; all are sooc.

To start, I focused on the clump in the middle and metered from that. I have a range finder and use manual focus but let the camera do the metering.
Exposures for Steve pM (1 of 5).jpg

The histogram indicated it was too dark for me. So I metered on something very dark and shot this one.
Exposures for Steve pM (2 of 5).jpg

Blown out. So I metered on something kinda in the middle, i.e., the grass. Here's #3.
Exposures for Steve pM (3 of 5).jpg

Still too dark; so I metered on something slightly darker, i.e., darker portions of the shore. Here's #4.
Exposures for Steve pM (4 of 5).jpg

Almost there, but I wanted the histogram to move more to the right. So, I metered on something a little darker than in #4. Here's the final.
Exposures for Steve pM (5 of 5).jpg

Not very sophisticated or precise, but enough for my impatience. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:56 am

Matt Quinn wrote:...
Not very sophisticated or precise, but enough for my impatience. Let me know what you think. Thanks. Matt

This means a lot to me and I really appreciate it! S-

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:00 pm

You're welcome.
Matt Quinn