"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes ShowcaseMorning at the beach

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Morning at the beach

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 2:31 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:For me, the subject is the lone walker. The guy in the dunes in inconsequential, and too shadowed to be of interest.

Lone walkers almost always work, and this is no exception. I do like how you got low/close with the rocks in the foreground, and have them tucked neatly into the lower left corner to establish a leading line. Some might quibble that Lone Walker is cut off from view by the rocks, and that we are shut away from him on the wrong side, but that doesn't bother me much. I am curious as to how the same photo might work from the left side of the rock pile. I do agree with Erich that there may be more that can be gathered from the sky with some editing of just that part. Overall a pleasing image.


Minnie, Here is the first shot before I got greedy. MattMorning on the beach 2 (1 of 1).jpg

I wasn't going to weigh in on this, Matt, because I honestly didn't care for your first picture. For me, THIS is the picture! The original submission was, to my mind anyway, cluttered. There seemed not to be a single center of interest. I thought the real picture was its left half, cropping away the entire right side, in other words your second picture! Now you are in closer to those big beautiful rocks! We can see grain and seagull poo. The elements have been reduced to no more than four: rocks, reeds, sea, and sky. They all combine to lead (strong leading lines) the eye to the lone walker, who does not have to compete for attention with distractions. It's a terrific shot! I think I might have let the guy get a little closer but that's nitpicky, and since I'm a Lightroom fanatic I would pull down a graduated filter on that gorgeous sky and punch it up a bit, but that's also nitpicky. From my perspective THIS was your shot, and very well done! :thumbup:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:16 pm

Beach walker 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Charles Haacker wrote:
Matt Quinn wrote:
minniev wrote:For me, the subject is the lone walker. The guy in the dunes in inconsequential, and too shadowed to be of interest.

Lone walkers almost always work, and this is no exception. I do like how you got low/close with the rocks in the foreground, and have them tucked neatly into the lower left corner to establish a leading line. Some might quibble that Lone Walker is cut off from view by the rocks, and that we are shut away from him on the wrong side, but that doesn't bother me much. I am curious as to how the same photo might work from the left side of the rock pile. I do agree with Erich that there may be more that can be gathered from the sky with some editing of just that part. Overall a pleasing image.


Minnie, Here is the first shot before I got greedy. MattMorning on the beach 2 (1 of 1).jpg

I wasn't going to weigh in on this, Matt, because I honestly didn't care for your first picture. For me, THIS is the picture! The original submission was, to my mind anyway, cluttered. There seemed not to be a single center of interest. I thought the real picture was its left half, cropping away the entire right side, in other words your second picture! Now you are in closer to those big beautiful rocks! We can see grain and seagull poo. The elements have been reduced to no more than four: rocks, reeds, sea, and sky. They all combine to lead (strong leading lines) the eye to the lone walker, who does not have to compete for attention with distractions. It's a terrific shot! I think I might have let the guy get a little closer but that's nitpicky, and since I'm a Lightroom fanatic I would pull down a graduated filter on that gorgeous sky and punch it up a bit, but that's also nitpicky. From my perspective THIS was your shot, and very well done! :thumbup:



Charles, Your wish is my command. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Posts: 1787
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Charles Haacker » Thu Aug 31, 2017 6:27 pm

That really works! The crop is perfect. I think that's a wall hanger. :thanks:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Thu Aug 31, 2017 7:13 pm

Thanks, Charles. You are always a great help and encourager. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:53 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Not on my account Matt...I am just not sure what is allowed to be said in this section, I think nothing negative is the but not positive...

Off Topic
I'll step in here, but this may need its own post.

The Member's Showcase is meant to be a place you can post your images and not worry about someone saying, 'That Really Sucks.'
The Critique Section then is meant to be the place where you can get brutally honest feedback to help make your image better.
Both have their place and both are heavily used here, but like all conversations, there are ways around both. Rules and ways to bend the rules.

Taking this post for instance, notice how it was posted in Member's Showcase, but because most people know the poster's attitude to getting help, those that followed masterfully worked in a subtle critique while keeping within the guidelines of the Section. They didn't so much say 'I Don't Like It,' but rather said what they liked and added suggestions for changes they would like to see. It's sort of like when your wife says, 'Does This Dress Make Me Look Fat?' It's a rock and a hard place, but like most husbands that have learned to navigate this, there's a way to tell the truth without being harsh about it and hurt those you love.

It's about Respect and once you recognize that the rest is easy! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 5:55 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:... I will rework this. Matt

What do you think of making this a panorama cropping from the top down? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1393
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 4:20 am
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by Psjunkie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:47 pm

St3v3M wrote: 'That Really Sucks.'
Maybe that's where I'm off track as I never really say that sucks even in critique...thanks Steve..

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Fri Sep 08, 2017 6:56 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
St3v3M wrote: 'That Really Sucks.'
Maybe that's where I'm off track as I never really say that sucks even in critique...thanks Steve..

I don't think anyone here would ever say that, but it's probably what we fear most.

In short, Member's Showcase is a place to show your images, like a small gallery where you can post your images on the wall for all to see.
Critique is meant to be the place where you sit down with others and say, give me your No BS Opinion on my images so I can make them better.

They both have their place and are valuable to our growth. In either, it's best to think of the images as your own and help others in the same.

We're a small group, and everyone here wants to help, it's what we do so all we ask is that you be who you are, respect others, and have fun! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Posts: 2180
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2017 3:12 pm
Location: MD in winter: Cape Cod in summer
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Post by Matt Quinn » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:32 am

Steve, Psjunkie, and others, Thanks for viewing and advising. I'll be more careful about where to post. I posted in Showcase because I thought I had taken up too much of people's time and attention in Critique by asking for help just by the fact of posting there. In posting in Showcase, I thought, as Steve suspected, that those who wanted only to look would do that, and those who wanted to comment, would. I have not found anyone being harsh or abusive in critiquing; rather folks have been honest, direct and sensitive. And all helpful. I am about to post some photos I had entered in a competition but were not selected and will post them in Critique. Thanks again to all. Matt
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 4066
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Post by St3v3M » Sat Sep 09, 2017 12:33 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Steve, Psjunkie, and others, Thanks for viewing and advising. I'll be more careful about where to post. I posted in Showcase because I thought I had taken up too much of people's time and attention in Critique by asking for help just by the fact of posting there. In posting in Showcase, I thought, as Steve suspected, that those who wanted only to look would do that, and those who wanted to comment, would. I have not found anyone being harsh or abusive in critiquing; rather folks have been honest, direct and sensitive. And all helpful. I am about to post some photos I had entered in a competition but were not selected and will post them in Critique. Thanks again to all. Matt

Hey Matt, post where you need to, Showcase, Critique, or anywhere else that will help us grow. We're all here to help! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Post Reply
  • Similar Topics
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest