"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

― Scapes ShowcaseMorning at the beach

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Morning at the beach

Post by Matt Quinn » Tue Aug 29, 2017 8:14 pm

Morning at the beach 2 (1 of 1).jpg

One person took photos, one took a walk, and one took out a cellphone and smoked.
Matt Quinn

"...approach the light as opposed to the subject." Stan Godwin

ErichBrunner
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by ErichBrunner » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:42 am

Matt Quinn wrote:Morning at the beach 2 (1 of 1).jpg

One person took photos, one took a walk, and one took out a cellphone and smoked.

I read your description of the photo and realized that your subjects are the guy sitting in the chair, the person walking and, I suppose, in a way yourself and how you interacted with the scene. I think you could have brought more detail and texture out in the clouds if the exposure were toned down just a hair.

I see that the subjects you describe are in different areas of the photo. That makes me have to search for your subjects. Of course if you had used a longer lens then they wouldn't both be in the frame. I do like how you used the rocks as a leading line into the photograph and it does take me right to the person walking. That makes me think that this composition is trying to do too many things at once. Maybe you could have concentrated your focus on the walker; and then shot a separate image of the smoker and the cell phone. I do understand what you objective was (I think I do anyway); I'm just wondering if there might have been a more effective way of portraying the actions you observed on that beach that morning.

On a completely subjective level, I do like the photo. The scene appeals to me because I like the beach and I photograph jetties and beach scenes all the time.
Erich

minniev
Mentoris Legatus
Mentoris Legatus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by minniev » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:55 pm

For me, the subject is the lone walker. The guy in the dunes in inconsequential, and too shadowed to be of interest.

Lone walkers almost always work, and this is no exception. I do like how you got low/close with the rocks in the foreground, and have them tucked neatly into the lower left corner to establish a leading line. Some might quibble that Lone Walker is cut off from view by the rocks, and that we are shut away from him on the wrong side, but that doesn't bother me much. I am curious as to how the same photo might work from the left side of the rock pile. I do agree with Erich that there may be more that can be gathered from the sky with some editing of just that part. Overall a pleasing image.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 2:26 pm

Matt I'm still confused with what all should be said in this showcase section as opposed to critique so I'll just say for the most part I agree with what has been said.

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:01 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:

I read your description of the photo and realized that your subjects are the guy sitting in the chair, the person walking and, I suppose, in a way yourself and how you interacted with the scene. I think you could have brought more detail and texture out in the clouds if the exposure were toned down just a hair.

I see that the subjects you describe are in different areas of the photo. That makes me have to search for your subjects. Of course if you had used a longer lens then they wouldn't both be in the frame. I do like how you used the rocks as a leading line into the photograph and it does take me right to the person walking. That makes me think that this composition is trying to do too many things at once. Maybe you could have concentrated your focus on the walker; and then shot a separate image of the smoker and the cell phone. I do understand what you objective was (I think I do anyway); I'm just wondering if there might have been a more effective way of portraying the actions you observed on that beach that morning.

On a completely subjective level, I do like the photo. The scene appeals to me because I like the beach and I photograph jetties and beach scenes all the time.
Erich

Thank you, Erich. I will try to get more out of the clouds and repost. You are very perceptive; I got greedy. My original intent was only the walker. Earlier, I had seen the smoker walk to and sit on the bench and take our his cellphone but didn't want to intrude.I then thought to include both because of the evident contrast in activity and a subtle comment on healthy behavior. In pp, I had trouble making the smoker evident; black against black. I guess I could have moved to my right up on the dunes and caught the back of the smoker against the light sand in the near distance and the walker in the mid, but my mobility is very limited with the new hip and the recent lumbar surgery. Slow moving and unbalanced, especially in sand and on rocks. So, I took what I got.

The image lacks punch for me; I can't get the whites where I want them without blowing out the whole photo. Since several have commented, I will rework this. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:07 pm

minniev wrote:

For me, the subject is the lone walker. The guy in the dunes in inconsequential, and too shadowed to be of interest.

Lone walkers almost always work, and this is no exception. I do like how you got low/close with the rocks in the foreground, and have them tucked neatly into the lower left corner to establish a leading line. Some might quibble that Lone Walker is cut off from view by the rocks, and that we are shut away from him on the wrong side, but that doesn't bother me much. I am curious as to how the same photo might work from the left side of the rock pile. I do agree with Erich that there may be more that can be gathered from the sky with some editing of just that part. Overall a pleasing image.

Thanks Minnie. Generous of you to comment with all that's coming down for you. See my reply to Erich for more explanation. The rocks running to the horizon attracted me first; I was shooting a series at that point focusing out into the bay where a squabble of gulls was swarming. Those photos didn't work since the birds were too far away. The walker arrived to offer up the moment and I took it. It took some seconds to get the tripod lined up and the camera in focus because the lady was walking at a healthy clip. I will go back and look again at the gull photos. Matt
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:08 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Matt I'm still confused with what all should be said in this showcase section as opposed to critique so I'll just say for the most part I agree with what has been said.

I guess I should have posted in Critique. Getting sloppy. Thanks for the reaction. All helpful. Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Aug 30, 2017 3:42 pm

Not on my account Matt...I am just not sure what is allowed to be said in this section, I think nothing negative is the but not positive...

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:34 pm

minniev wrote:

Minnie, Here is the first shot before I got greedy. Matt
Morning on the beach 2 (1 of 1).jpg
Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by Matt Quinn » Wed Aug 30, 2017 5:36 pm

ErichBrunner wrote:

Erich

Erich, See my second reply to Minnie
Matt Quinn