― Scapes ShowcaseClouds Aren't Sky Clutter.-3D Conversion Comparisons

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Clouds Aren't Sky Clutter.-3D Conversion Comparisons

Post by uuglypher » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:23 pm

For those able to view stereo image pairs here are two "Stereo quads"(top pair for parallel gaze, bottom pair for crossed-eye gaze). The two sets were converted to 3D by different techniques and any "compare and contrast" comments would be appreciated.
Many thanks,
Dave
IMG_9968.PNG
IMG_9970.PNG

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Wed Aug 09, 2017 1:32 pm

For me, I prefer the cross eye method as it is easier. No matter how hard I try to view the parallel one my eyes tend to cross but it still looks 3D.

Of the two sets ,the bottom has a stronger 3D effect for me. Specially in the foreground. With a more critical eye I can distinguish the selected areas used for the effect. For the grass /road, the effect is stronger to the left making the road less "deep". Same with the mountain range. Because of that my eyes want to check out the left side of the images and ignore the road. The sky, on the other hand, draws me in to the far end of the trail of clouds. I don't get the same "depth" to the clouds as I do with everything else.

I'm writing this on a tablet so it's not my typical critique but I hope it helps. Let me know if you want me to get into finer details.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

uuglypher
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by uuglypher » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:45 pm

Duck wrote:For me, I prefer the cross eye method as it is easier. No matter how hard I try to view the parallel one my eyes tend to cross but it still looks 3D.

Of the two sets ,the bottom has a stronger 3D effect for me. Specially in the foreground. With a more critical eye I can distinguish the selected areas used for the effect. For the grass /road, the effect is stronger to the left making the road less "deep". Same with the mountain range. Because of that my eyes want to check out the left side of the images and ignore the road. The sky, on the other hand, draws me in to the far end of the trail of clouds. I don't get the same "depth" to the clouds as I do with everything else.

I'm writing this on a tablet so it's not my typical critique but I hope it helps. Let me know if you want me to get into finer details.

Many thanks, Duck! I do appreciate your astute observations!
The bottom set was, indeed, configured to have the stronger 3D effect, as the land features and sky features were treated separately such that the depth recession of each meets at the horizon. The sky as well as the ground have close "foresky" and "foreground" detail as well as distant detail.
Again, many thanks, Duck; ..that's really helpful feedback!

Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by St3v3M » Mon Sep 04, 2017 2:58 am

This is a wonderful image on its own and of course, you're correct, clouds make most images. Thank you for adding this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"