“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseGreat Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:41 am

Charles Haacker wrote:These were made in 2014 on the Epic Road Trip (99 days, 16 states, 16,000 miles &c). This was early May and it was actively snowing on the mountains when we arrived. We'd left rather earlier than normal for the fact that Daphne had been laid up for months with a broken leg that they had let heal naturally but took for EV er. She was so cabin feverish that we threw caution and headed out into the sometimes frozen teeth of early spring. (But if we had it to do over we'd do it again. And again.) We arrived here probably about noon local time with intermittent overcast, snow, yeah the usual and "ya takes yer pitcher wiv the light ya gots," which in this case was nowhere near as dramatic as it would've been much earlier or much later but you know.

These have been reworked this morning in Lightroom (the originals are jpegs). While there isn't as much modeling on the dunes as there might be in better light it's still possible to manipulate things in LR to give the illusion that the light was better than it was. The tiny fly specks you see? Those are people climbing the dunes! It's totally allowed! They are constantly shifting and resculpted by wind. You're allowed to climb, carry a toboggan or whatever with you and slide down, no worries. You won't leave a trace that won't be gone overnight. You can even see some of the sled tracks in these pictures.

I have yet to find my way to the Great Sand Dunes and appreciate you adding the link! Wow they are beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Actually, we didn't know about it either, and Daphne was born in Wyoming and graduated from Denver U. I think we were already on the road and ran into somebody who said, "Oh, you must see the Great Sand Dunes!" So we looked them up and went. There's also a monument very nearby, Chimney Rock National Monument that we stumbled upon while looking for Great Sand Dunes, but it was too early in the season and it was not open.
Chimney Rock ( http://www.chimneyrockco.org/ ) lies on 4,726 acres (19 km2) of San Juan National Forest land surrounded by the Southern Ute Indian Reservation. Chimney Rock itself occupies 1,000 acres (4 km2) of the site, and is approximately 315 feet (96 m) tall. Next to Chimney Rock is Companion Rock, which is a popular nesting spot for the Peregrine Falcon. Wikipedia

Chimney Rock is amazing! S-

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:44 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I have used the Nik collection so little, but I decided to try Silver Efex, mostly with presets plus a little foolin' around without knowing what I'm doing (and yes I know you sent links to how-tos on the whole collection but I just decided to monkey and see what I got):

The second has an otherworldly feel! S-

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:45 pm

St3v3M wrote:I have yet to find my way to the Great Sand Dunes and appreciate you adding the link! Wow they are beautiful! S-
St3v3M wrote:Chimney Rock is amazing! S-
St3v3M wrote:The second has an otherworldly feel! S-

Thanks, Steve! :thanks: Obviously if you get a chance, go!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:07 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Thanks, Steve! :thanks: Obviously if you get a chance, go!

It's on The List! S-

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Ceropegia » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:57 pm

Very nice in monochrome, but I very much prefer, make that love, the basically two tone version. The color of the sand goes so well with the blue of the sky.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 18, 2017 3:14 pm

Ceropegia wrote:Very nice in monochrome, but I very much prefer, make that love, the basically two tone version. The color of the sand goes so well with the blue of the sky.

Thank you, Martha. That's my thinking as well. Because the light was so soft it doesn't work at all in a straight conversion which was why I tried using whatever whoopee effect that was in Nik. I don't dislike it, but I prefer the color, too. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”