"Every moment and every event of every man's life on earth plants something in his soul." —Thomas Merton

― Scapes ShowcaseGreat Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Great Sand Dunes National Park, Colorado

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:14 pm

These were made in 2014 on the Epic Road Trip (99 days, 16 states, 16,000 miles &c). This was early May and it was actively snowing on the mountains when we arrived. We'd left rather earlier than normal for the fact that Daphne had been laid up for months with a broken leg that they had let heal naturally but took for EV er. She was so cabin feverish that we threw caution and headed out into the sometimes frozen teeth of early spring. (But if we had it to do over we'd do it again. And again.) We arrived here probably about noon local time with intermittent overcast, snow, yeah the usual and "ya takes yer pitcher wiv the light ya gots," which in this case was nowhere near as dramatic as it would've been much earlier or much later but you know.

These have been reworked this morning in Lightroom (the originals are jpegs). While there isn't as much modeling on the dunes as there might be in better light it's still possible to manipulate things in LR to give the illusion that the light was better than it was. The tiny fly specks you see? Those are people climbing the dunes! It's totally allowed! They are constantly shifting and resculpted by wind. You're allowed to climb, carry a toboggan or whatever with you and slide down, no worries. You won't leave a trace that won't be gone overnight. You can even see some of the sled tracks in these pictures.
DSCN1498-2.EMlr.jpg
Nikon P7800, 1/600 sec f/3.5 ISO 80, jpeg original

DSCN1496-2.EMlr.jpg
Nikon P7800, 1/600 sec f/3.5 ISO 80, jpeg original

I realize that I should have included the link to the National Park: https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 6:52 pm

wow - I had no idea of this in Colorado. Those people will make a sled hill out of anything. Looks Massive.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:02 pm

PietFrancke wrote:wow - I had no idea of this in Colorado. Those people will make a sled hill out of anything. Looks Massive.

Here is the link to the NPS site: https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm It is quite literally awesome and well worth a visit. We are/were Golden Agers so we could get into almost any NP free, but even paying the fee is worth it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:46 pm

Gorgeous! I particularly like #1 - those softly formed clouds mimic the dunes perfectly. I learned about the NP Senior Pass (no more lovely sounding "Golden Age" - ha) six months after I turned 62 (eligibility). I have certainly gotten my money's worth; even several of the rec sites in my much visited Yakima River Canyon require (Bureau of Land Management).
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by davechinn » Sun Jul 09, 2017 8:04 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:These were made in 2014 on the Epic Road Trip (99 days, 16 states, 16,000 miles &c). This was early May and it was actively snowing on the mountains when we arrived. We'd left rather earlier than normal for the fact that Daphne had been laid up for months with a broken leg that they had let heal naturally but took for EV er. She was so cabin feverish that we threw caution and headed out into the sometimes frozen teeth of early spring. (But if we had it to do over we'd do it again. And again.) We arrived here probably about noon local time with intermittent overcast, snow, yeah the usual and "ya takes yer pitcher wiv the light ya gots," which in this case was nowhere near as dramatic as it would've been much earlier or much later but you know.

These have been reworked this morning in Lightroom (the originals are jpegs). While there isn't as much modeling on the dunes as there might be in better light it's still possible to manipulate things in LR to give the illusion that the light was better than it was. The tiny fly specks you see? Those are people climbing the dunes! It's totally allowed! They are constantly shifting and resculpted by wind. You're allowed to climb, carry a toboggan or whatever with you and slide down, no worries. You won't leave a trace that won't be gone overnight. You can even see some of the sled tracks in these pictures.
DSCN1498-2.EMlr.jpg
DSCN1496-2.EMlr.jpg

I realize that I should have included the link to the National Park: https://www.nps.gov/grsa/index.htm

Wonderful Chuck !!! I too, had no idea such a place existed in Colorado, and I lived in Denver for about a year in the early 70's. The itsy bitsy people sure gives perspective to the overall size.
Dave
http://www.davechinn.com/

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:11 am

LindaShorey wrote:Gorgeous! I particularly like #1 - those softly formed clouds mimic the dunes perfectly. I learned about the NP Senior Pass (no more lovely sounding "Golden Age" - ha) six months after I turned 62 (eligibility). I have certainly gotten my money's worth; even several of the rec sites in my much visited Yakima River Canyon require (Bureau of Land Management).

That pass made a lot of stuff possible for us that we might never have seen had we had to pay the fees, some of which are pretty steep. I get it, especially at a time when we have an administration that wants to close monuments, shrink monuments and maybe even national parks, and cut funding to the point that only raising those gate fees will maintain the parks, and I bet they couldn't charge enough anyway. I don't think I've ever made a count of the number of monuments and parks we visited. I should.
davechinn wrote:Wonderful Chuck !!! I too, had no idea such a place existed in Colorado, and I lived in Denver for about a year in the early 70's. The itsy bitsy people sure gives perspective to the overall size.
Dave
(The itsy bitsy people went up the big sand dune...) :lol:
Actually, we didn't know about it either, and Daphne was born in Wyoming and graduated from Denver U. I think we were already on the road and ran into somebody who said, "Oh, you must see the Great Sand Dunes!" So we looked them up and went. There's also a monument very nearby, Chimney Rock National Monument that we stumbled upon while looking for Great Sand Dunes, but it was too early in the season and it was not open.
Chimney Rock ( http://www.chimneyrockco.org/ ) lies on 4,726 acres (19 km2) of San Juan National Forest land surrounded by the Southern Ute Indian Reservation. Chimney Rock itself occupies 1,000 acres (4 km2) of the site, and is approximately 315 feet (96 m) tall. Next to Chimney Rock is Companion Rock, which is a popular nesting spot for the Peregrine Falcon. Wikipedia
DSCN1461-2.EMlr.jpg
Chimney Rock on the right; Companion Rock on the left. The park was closed and gated off when we were there, but I was still able to get this picture from outside the gate.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:19 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:These were made in 2014 on the Epic Road Trip (99 days, 16 states, 16,000 miles &c). This was early May and it was actively snowing on the mountains when we arrived. We'd left rather earlier than normal for the fact that Daphne had been laid up for months with a broken leg that they had let heal naturally but took for EV er. She was so cabin feverish that we threw caution and headed out into the sometimes frozen teeth of early spring. (But if we had it to do over we'd do it again. And again.) We arrived here probably about noon local time with intermittent overcast, snow, yeah the usual and "ya takes yer pitcher wiv the light ya gots," which in this case was nowhere near as dramatic as it would've been much earlier or much later but you know.

DSCN1498-2.EMlr.jpg
DSCN1496-2.EMlr.jpg

These are wonderful. This is a park I haven't been to, though I've seen the dunes in Death Valley and loved photographing them for the same reasons you describe here.

The opportunity to relive and share these marvelous trips is a gift that keeps on giving both to you and to us here.

Don't fail to try a conversion to monochrome on these, they won't be better but they will be decidedly different and a whole lot of fun to play with. (Speaking from my Death Valley experience)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:21 am

minniev wrote:These are wonderful. This is a park I haven't been to, though I've seen the dunes in Death Valley and loved photographing them for the same reasons you describe here.

The opportunity to relive and share these marvelous trips is a gift that keeps on giving both to you and to us here.

Don't fail to try a conversion to monochrome on these, they won't be better but they will be decidedly different and a whole lot of fun to play with. (Speaking from my Death Valley experience)

I have used the Nik collection so little, but I decided to try Silver Efex, mostly with presets plus a little foolin' around without knowing what I'm doing (and yes I know you sent links to how-tos on the whole collection but I just decided to monkey and see what I got):
Attachments
DSCN1496-2-Edit.EMlr.jpg
These two I tried Silver Efex presets until I saw something I liked. I added a little toning plus paper toning.
DSCN1498-2-Edit.EMlr.jpg
DSCN1461-2-Edit.EMlr.jpg
This one I added the effect of a Wratten 21 orange filter and backed the contrast off just a hair.

minniev
Mentoris Magister
Mentoris Magister

Post by minniev » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 am

Charles Haacker wrote:
minniev wrote:These are wonderful. This is a park I haven't been to, though I've seen the dunes in Death Valley and loved photographing them for the same reasons you describe here.

I have used the Nik collection so little, but I decided to try Silver Efex, mostly with presets plus a little foolin' around without knowing what I'm doing (and yes I know you sent links to how-tos on the whole collection but I just decided to monkey and see what I got):

You monkeyed well! Those are beautiful! Silver Efex is a great toolset for conversion. Lightroom itself is no slouch, either, lots of conversion capability in that HSL black and white panel.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Post by Charles Haacker » Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:47 am

Thanks, Min! I learn something new pretty much daily. (Y)