― Scapes ShowcaseWoman with Water Jar

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Woman with Water Jar

Post by Charles Haacker » Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:47 pm

Thought I put it in the wrong section, din't'cha? :D This was made on The Epic Road Trip in 2014, in New Mexico. It is a completely natural formation, and just happened to catch my eye as we were on the Trail of the Mountain Spirits, a 93-mile National Scenic Byway that winds around the southwest corner of New Mexico, back and forth across the forested Continental Divide, through the country's first national wilderness area, the Gila, and past ancient cliff dwellings. Long known locally as The Inner Loop, especially among bicycle race fans, the byway serves as the route for the grueling annual Tour of the Gila race. It's just as fun for travel by car or motorcycle. I think the other monument in the background looks like a short, very jug-eared Easter Island mo'ai! :) We were headed for the Gila Cliff Dwellings when I spotted this on a curve. I turned around, went back, and made the picture. The curve in the road just happens to place you at exactly the right angle to see both "figures." Step a little to the left and the illusion is gone.
DSCN2100-2.EMlr.jpg
2014 (date on exif is wrong for having set it wrong in the camera), Nikon P7800, 1/100 sec f/8, ISO 80, jpeg original 'cuz didn't wake up and smell the raw until 2015.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:23 pm

she looks like she can carry as many water jugs as she wants and I'm staying out of her way. If I was without pets, I would do a 100 day road trip. Just to have one more day than you did! I believe that is the only way to take your time and really see what can be seen. And the south west and perhaps west coast is absolutely the perfect place to do such a thing. Or the mountains of Canada, or... yeah, this sort of thing would have to occur every year.

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by LindaShorey » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:41 pm

I sure do like the contrasts between the rocks and light green trees. You framed the formations beautifully, even if that was the only choice. I still haven't made it to New Mexico, but then I haven't made it to the Palouse of Washington State either :)
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon Jul 10, 2017 12:44 am

LindaShorey wrote:I sure do like the contrasts between the rocks and light green trees. You framed the formations beautifully, even if that was the only choice. I still haven't made it to New Mexico, but then I haven't made it to the Palouse of Washington State either :)

Thanks, Linda. You really have to go to the Palouse. I think it was that same year that Erin's mom squired us all over (they live in Kennewick), including the Palouse and Palouse Falls. Very special!
PietFrancke wrote:she looks like she can carry as many water jugs as she wants and I'm staying out of her way. If I was without pets, I would do a 100 day road trip. Just to have one more day than you did! I believe that is the only way to take your time and really see what can be seen. And the south west and perhaps west coast is absolutely the perfect place to do such a thing. Or the mountains of Canada, or... yeah, this sort of thing would have to occur every year.

We pretty much did it every year, not as long as 2014, but we took some vacations before 2008, got up into Colorado and camped and visited all over, including back to DU to see Daphne's old haunts. So much had not changed! But so much had. We were both retired by 2008 and off we went, in 2008 and '09 camping in tents. 2009 we managed 55 days out, 9 states, 3 time zones, 2 countries, and over 9,000 miles. Starting in 2010 in Rose, the Tiny Tent Trailer, we managed 59 days (never an even number), 8 states, 8,122 miles, but the way big deal was NO CHEATING IN MOTELS, except once thanks to a whacking thunderstorm in Sioux Falls on the last night out. Every year we tended to stay out longer, go further, and camp 100% of the time (MUCH cheaper!). 2013 we went East and did things like battlefield tours. I wonder sometimes. We were so driven. It was all either of us wanted to do, and do, and do. I wonder if something wasn't telling us that we hadn't much time. I'm so glad we did it, but now I feel like an old sailor on the beach.
ImageSunrise, Popo Agie Camp (Sinks Canyon SP, Wyoming, USA) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr
Sunrise, Popo Agie Camp (Sinks Canyon SP, Wyoming, USA) 07:20 in the cool of the spectacular morning, the sun just peeking over the rim of the canyon in Popo Agie Camp. This is my favorite shot of my favorite camp of the whole trip. It's about 36° at 8,767 feet (2,672 meters). I am warm, I am dry, I gots me fresh, hot coffee, an easy chair, and an incomparable view. Aw, Ma, do I really hafta go home?!
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

PietFrancke
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Post by PietFrancke » Mon Jul 10, 2017 2:18 am

camping like that looks like a skill all to itself. It looks WAY more comfortable than a tent and Rose looks much easier to pull than the bigger things. You did good Chuck. Life is not to be wasted - it takes work to avoid wasting it, work at doing the things you love, and while you have them, with those you love. Many people become old and have regrets... I relate to being driven in this way.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:21 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Thought I put it in the wrong section, din't'cha? :D This was made on The Epic Road Trip in 2014, in New Mexico. It is a completely natural formation, and just happened to catch my eye as we were on the Trail of the Mountain Spirits, a 93-mile National Scenic Byway that winds around the southwest corner of New Mexico, back and forth across the forested Continental Divide, through the country's first national wilderness area, the Gila, and past ancient cliff dwellings. Long known locally as The Inner Loop, especially among bicycle race fans, the byway serves as the route for the grueling annual Tour of the Gila race. It's just as fun for travel by car or motorcycle. I think the other monument in the background looks like a short, very jug-eared Easter Island mo'ai! :) We were headed for the Gila Cliff Dwellings when I spotted this on a curve. I turned around, went back, and made the picture. The curve in the road just happens to place you at exactly the right angle to see both "figures." Step a little to the left and the illusion is gone.

I love the old spirits and imagine they held value in the old ways. Thank you for keeping us with you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:23 am

Charles Haacker wrote:We pretty much did it every year, not as long as 2014, but we took some vacations before 2008, got up into Colorado and camped and visited all over, including back to DU to see Daphne's old haunts. So much had not changed! But so much had. We were both retired by 2008 and off we went, in 2008 and '09 camping in tents. 2009 we managed 55 days out, 9 states, 3 time zones, 2 countries, and over 9,000 miles. Starting in 2010 in Rose, the Tiny Tent Trailer, we managed 59 days (never an even number), 8 states, 8,122 miles, but the way big deal was NO CHEATING IN MOTELS, except once thanks to a whacking thunderstorm in Sioux Falls on the last night out. Every year we tended to stay out longer, go further, and camp 100% of the time (MUCH cheaper!). 2013 we went East and did things like battlefield tours. I wonder sometimes. We were so driven. It was all either of us wanted to do, and do, and do. I wonder if something wasn't telling us that we hadn't much time. I'm so glad we did it, but now I feel like an old sailor on the beach.!

There's nothing like immersing yourself in the moment! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"