“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseMount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:59 am

The Hood River Bridge is a truss bridge with a vertical lift that spans the Columbia River between Hood River, Oregon and White Salmon, Washington. It connects Interstate 84/U.S. Route 30 on the Oregon side with Washington State Route 14. Wikipedia

So I'm trying to crawl out of my hole, still occasionally reworking old stuff. Anything shot before 2015 was a jpeg but they can still be worked, especially since I was long in the practice of exposing for the highlight and developing for the shadow. This before-and-after pair was made with my little Nikon P7000 in July, 2012. Riding with friends, we were going over the Hood River Bridge over the Columbia from Washington into Oregon, with wonderful glimpses of Mighty Mount Hood. Not driving, I couldn't resist making a few exposures through the buggy windshield. At first I didn't think any were worth the bother. The windshield was not only buggy, dirty, and streaked, but tinted. The whole scene looked pretty blaaaaah, but a few hours ago I chanced on the original untouched jpeg and decided to see what could be done with it in Lightroom, with newly acquired skills.

DSCN2287-2.BIG.jpg
Pretty yuck-o, huh? There's a streak down the left side in addition to the bugs, which are mostly fuzzy thanks to being infinity focused but there are these furry blobs especially over the tower. The color is uniformly ick and the mountain is barely there.
DSCN2287-2.BIG-2.jpg
Ah! Mo-betta. I started with all my standard treatments in LR CC, then manually adjusted the color until it looked about right. I cloned out the streak and the prominent fuzzybug on the left but couldn't do much with the bugs on the tower so I left them. I felt the prominent lamp standard was a distraction so I cloned it out. Then it was pretty much one word: graduated filter and dehaze. Well, 3 words. (Dang. I just spotted another blob I could've corrected.)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Posts: 300
Joined: Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:38 pm
Reputation: 19
Location: WV
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby PietFrancke » Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:16 am

it looks amazing Chuck. Love that bridge, love the depth you gave this image.

User avatar
minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Posts: 1325
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 am
Reputation: 117
Location: Mississippi
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby minniev » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:17 am

Charles Haacker wrote:The Hood River Bridge is a truss bridge with a vertical lift that spans the Columbia River between Hood River, Oregon and White Salmon, Washington. It connects Interstate 84/U.S. Route 30 on the Oregon side with Washington State Route 14. Wikipedia

So I'm trying to crawl out of my hole, still occasionally reworking old stuff. Anything shot before 2015 was a jpeg but they can still be worked, especially since I was long in the practice of exposing for the highlight and developing for the shadow. This before-and-after pair was made with my little Nikon P7000 in July, 2012. Riding with friends, we were going over the Hood River Bridge over the Columbia from Washington into Oregon, with wonderful glimpses of Mighty Mount Hood. Not driving, I couldn't resist making a few exposures through the buggy windshield. At first I didn't think any were worth the bother. The windshield was not only buggy, dirty, and streaked, but tinted. The whole scene looked pretty blaaaaah, but a few hours ago I chanced on the original untouched jpeg and decided to see what could be done with it in Lightroom, with newly acquired skills.

DSCN2287-2.BIG.jpgDSCN2287-2.BIG-2.jpg


Wow, what a difference! You teased out all that detail, fixed that crazy color caste and the bug-splats, and all from a moving vehicle! Ain't Lightroom great? Photoshop too.

Glad you dug your way back here. Hang around and keep sharing fun stuff like this.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Posts: 717
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:01 pm
Reputation: 30
Location: Ky
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby davechinn » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:26 am

Charles Haacker wrote:The Hood River Bridge is a truss bridge with a vertical lift that spans the Columbia River between Hood River, Oregon and White Salmon, Washington. It connects Interstate 84/U.S. Route 30 on the Oregon side with Washington State Route 14. Wikipedia

So I'm trying to crawl out of my hole, still occasionally reworking old stuff. Anything shot before 2015 was a jpeg but they can still be worked, especially since I was long in the practice of exposing for the highlight and developing for the shadow. This before-and-after pair was made with my little Nikon P7000 in July, 2012. Riding with friends, we were going over the Hood River Bridge over the Columbia from Washington into Oregon, with wonderful glimpses of Mighty Mount Hood. Not driving, I couldn't resist making a few exposures through the buggy windshield. At first I didn't think any were worth the bother. The windshield was not only buggy, dirty, and streaked, but tinted. The whole scene looked pretty blaaaaah, but a few hours ago I chanced on the original untouched jpeg and decided to see what could be done with it in Lightroom, with newly acquired skills.

DSCN2287-2.BIG.jpgDSCN2287-2.BIG-2.jpg



This an excellent image Chuck. If you had not included a description I would have never know it was shot through a windshield. The leading line of the bridge has such impact that I can't miss Mount Hood. A fantastic image, love it.
Dave

User avatar
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Posts: 894
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:50 am
Reputation: 95
Location: Yakima, WA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:58 am

The roadway and towers make a terrific frame for the mountain. Well worth the work! Enjoyed this very much, Chuck.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:19 pm

davechinn wrote:This an excellent image Chuck. If you had not included a description I would have never know it was shot through a windshield. The leading line of the bridge has such impact that I can't miss Mount Hood. A fantastic image, love it.
Dave
Thanks, Dave. That is high praise indeed! :thanks:
minniev wrote:Wow, what a difference! You teased out all that detail, fixed that crazy color caste and the bug-splats, and all from a moving vehicle! Ain't Lightroom great? Photoshop too.

Glad you dug your way back here. Hang around and keep sharing fun stuff like this.
Thanks, Min. I'm trying. Goes by fits and starts. :| I love Photoshop when it's needed, but more and more I use Lightroom alone, as in this case. Sometimes I use both, but I always start in Lightroom and then go to PS for something LR either doesn't do well, or at all.
PietFrancke wrote:it looks amazing Chuck. Love that bridge, love the depth you gave this image.
Thanks so much, Piet, and it's good to see you here! :thumbup:
LindaShorey wrote:The roadway and towers make a terrific frame for the mountain. Well worth the work! Enjoyed this very much, Chuck.
Thanks Linda! I was actually surprised at what I could do with it. Skills and tools keep evolving. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

User avatar
St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Posts: 2312
Joined: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am
Reputation: 101
Location: 35,000 feet
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby St3v3M » Wed Jul 05, 2017 5:13 am

Charles Haacker wrote:Ah! Mo-betta. I started with all my standard treatments in LR CC, then manually adjusted the color until it looked about right. I cloned out the streak and the prominent fuzzybug on the left but couldn't do much with the bugs on the tower so I left them. I felt the prominent lamp standard was a distraction so I cloned it out. Then it was pretty much one word: graduated filter and dehaze. Well, 3 words.

It's interesting that the leading lines drive me toward the bridge, but my love of mountains keeps me coming back to Mount Hood. I like this and the way the guardrail is acting as the horizon. Looking at it again I wonder if I would feel differently about it had the bridge been more in the rule of thirds and not edged out like it is. This is a lesson I'll remember, that while leading lines do direct your attention the star of the show can override the so-called rules. Thank you for this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

User avatar
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Posts: 987
Joined: Mon May 01, 2017 7:20 pm
Reputation: 91
Location: Lincoln, Nebraska, USA
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images
Contact:

Re: Mount Hood Through a Bug Splattered Windshield at 40 mph on the Hood River Bridge.

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:46 pm

St3v3M wrote:It's interesting that the leading lines drive me toward the bridge, but my love of mountains keeps me coming back to Mount Hood. I like this and the way the guardrail is acting as the horizon. Looking at it again I wonder if I would feel differently about it had the bridge been more in the rule of thirds and not edged out like it is. This is a lesson I'll remember, that while leading lines do direct your attention the star of the show can override the so-called rules. Thank you for this! S-

Thank you for looking and commenting, Steve, and I completely agree about dem "rules." I've seen a lot of opinions on the so-called rules, most of them concluding that they really ought to be called suggestions or guidelines. That's how I think of them. In this case, of course, I was trapped in a moving car. I think I made probably six original exposures, looking for one that showed the mountain the best so it was also spray'n'pray. There's no question that studying composition and trying to apply the guidelines is a very good idea, and I do most of the time. It's good you mentioned this. It does seem to break compositional "rules" yet it still also seems to work. Hmmm :|
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|


Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests