“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcasePink Hills - a terrible beauty

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pink Hills - a terrible beauty

Postby LindaShorey » Thu May 25, 2017 9:34 pm

Cheatgrass is an invasive, non-native and nasty (burrows into dog's paws and people's socks) species that prevents native grasses from growing, promotes wildfires and is changing the ecology of the west. It seems particularly vibrant colored right now, as well as much more expansive than I recall (perhaps because of our long winter, cool and wet spring?). Photographed in the Yakima River Canyon.

First two processed with a touch of Topaz Simplify to soften and remove the smaller details; #3 the opposite.
Attachments
1 P1020997-1.jpg
1 P1030021.jpg
1 P5250136.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Pink Hills - a terrible beauty

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu May 25, 2017 9:45 pm

Lovely colors Linda.
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu May 25, 2017 10:39 pm

Terrible beauty indeed! That especially lovely first shot is wall-worthy, beautiful sky, clouds dragging their shadows over the hills... The PINK hills. What a shame it's so pretty and such a pain. In the 19th century there were lots of things that were deliberately introduced that turned out to be a not-so-hot idea. Northern California's eucalyptus is an example, and Scotch broom. The eucalyptus was intended to be a quick-growing cheap source of lumber, but the fella who brought it didn't know that the species he picked was basically a big weed, useless as lumber, loaded with volatile oil so it was a tremendous fire hazard. In the Great Oakland Fire of 1991 that eucalyptus was explosive. Scotch broom was brought in as an ornamental, and it is lovely, except it pushes out everything around it.
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Fri May 26, 2017 1:19 am

LindaShorey wrote:Cheatgrass is an invasive, non-native and nasty (burrows into dog's paws and people's socks) species that prevents native grasses from growing, promotes wildfires and is changing the ecology of the west. It seems particularly vibrant colored right now, as well as much more expansive than I recall (perhaps because of our long winter, cool and wet spring?). Photographed in the Yakima River Canyon.

First two processed with a touch of Topaz Simplify to soften and remove the smaller details; #3 the opposite.

Quite a nice set. The colors are really wonderful (and colors don't care if they come from an invasive plant, they're just colors). I love the effect of the topaz filter especially on that first one which has a more painterly composition if there is such a thing. These are all well constructed and well captured, but the processing makes them stand out.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Fri May 26, 2017 1:02 pm

Ernst, thanks for taking a look!

Chuck, thanks so much. The spot for #1 is often quite photogenic. I now have in 3 seasons :) The info on invasive species could include birds, mammals and reptiles of course. So much damage done thoughtlessly or accidentally.

Minnie, I'm delighted you enjoyed the pp choices. This is a subject I've had in mind for a couple of weeks, tried last week but felt the shadows were too harsh. It's rare for me to plan and visualize what I want my outcome to be :) Thanks!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:37 am

LindaShorey wrote:... The spot for #1 is often quite photogenic. I now have in 3 seasons :) ...

I love the idea of shooting a single location in all four seasons. One more to go and you'll have it!

The colors are amazing and I want to see more. Thank you for sharing this with us, and what an amazing zoom! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:13 pm

St3v3M wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:... The spot for #1 is often quite photogenic. I now have in 3 seasons :) ...

I love the idea of shooting a single location in all four seasons. One more to go and you'll have it!

The colors are amazing and I want to see more. Thank you for sharing this with us, and what an amazing zoom! S-

I appreciate your comments, Steve!

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sun Jun 04, 2017 12:57 am

" The eucalyptus was intended to be a quick-growing cheap source of lumber "
A native species of Australia. Look at the forests in summer and you see a blue haze. That's the oil..
ed davis

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”