“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseSpanish Peaks, Colorado, 2014

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Spanish Peaks, Colorado, 2014

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 2:29 pm

The Spanish Peaks are a pair of prominent mountains located in southwestern Huerfano County, Colorado. The Ute Indians named them Huajatolla, meaning "two breasts". The Ute name translates as "Breasts of the Earth". Wikipedia

This is not as old as some of the other stuff (almost exactly 3 years to the day), but it was still shot with a relatively small Nikon P7800, and in jpeg because I was still not shooting raw (shame shame shame :D ). 2014 was the year we went pretty much nuts, on the road for 99 days, 16 western states, 16,000 miles, and 30 different camps with Rose, our tiny trusty tent trailer. Daphne hadn't yet been diagnosed (dementia) but I often wonder if on some level we knew. If she had been diagnosed maybe we would never have made our one last spectacular road trip. I'm so glad we did.

Anyhoo, I posted 1,681 pictures all processed in Photoshop Elements, 11 I think, and I still think they are pretty good as is, but I've now started looking for some that I thought would benefit from Lightroom treatment. This first one is the zeroed out SOOC jpeg, Nikon P7800, ƒ/3.5, 32.6 mm (150 mm equiv), 1/640, ISO 80. It was hot so there is haze, and wires.
DSCN0816-2.EM-2.jpg

Reworked yesterday in Lightroom. Cropped to 16:9, graduated filter from top with reduced exposure + added dehaze. Another graduated filter from bottom to also darken the foreground (hoping to keep all attention on the mountains) + cutting saturation a little. This turns out not to be significantly different from the one currently posted on Flickr, but I think it's marginally better.
DSCN0816-2.EM.jpg
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Spanish Peaks, Colorado, 2014

Postby LindaShorey » Sat May 13, 2017 3:22 pm

A great comparison for those still on the fence about delving into the addictive world of pp. Would the image hold up to a slight crop of the foreground or do you prefer the composition as-is? Another item, food for thought for many of us, if the image is not tilted, but appears to be slightly going downhill to left, does "straightening" produce a more comfortable feel for the casual viewer?

And thank you once more for sharing a bit about yours and Daphne's years together. Painful to remember, I know, but so full of love and joy and shared experiences too.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Didereaux » Sat May 13, 2017 3:22 pm

I like the rework. Seen those mtns, some rugged country. Did you do the Durango Rio steamer?
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

pop511
Mentoris Grandis
Mentoris Grandis

Postby pop511 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:06 pm

Charles, you have tufts of grass in the lower third, but nothing below it.
Can you crop the picture under those tufts?
I don't want to see the crop. Only for you to try at home and let me know.
ed
ed davis

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat May 13, 2017 5:03 pm

LindaShorey wrote:A great comparison for those still on the fence about delving into the addictive world of pp. Would the image hold up to a slight crop of the foreground or do you prefer the composition as-is? Another item, food for thought for many of us, if the image is not tilted, but appears to be slightly going downhill to left, does "straightening" produce a more comfortable feel for the casual viewer?

And thank you once more for sharing a bit about yours and Daphne's years together. Painful to remember, I know, but so full of love and joy and shared experiences too.

Thanks, Linda. I cropped it to a 16:9 "wallpaper" ratio. I thought the original in-camera crop had way too much foreground, but I also think it needs some foreground to emphasize the distance (I don't know how far they are, actually). As to the perception of a tilt, I'm pretty sure that's the lie of the rise in the foreground. I'd be disinclined to level it. I usually only level things that have water in them, but even there sometimes the curve of a shoreline is misleading. Often what I look for (if available) is a strong known vertical in or very near the center of the picture, and I will "plumb" that, letting everything else "fall." I am also not above using the straightening tools in either Lightroom or Photoshop, but also have to be careful as you can get a fakey look.
pop511 wrote:Charles, you have tufts of grass in the lower third, but nothing below it.
Can you crop the picture under those tufts?
I don't want to see the crop. Only for you to try at home and let me know.
ed

Sure, Ed. That would turn it into a panoramic and could look good, but I also wonder if it would lose some of the sense of great distance imparted by having more foreground. I am thinking instead to clone them out. Either that or erase some of the darkening in that graduated filter, but I think removing them altogether might be better. They are a little distracting, so thanks for pointing that out. :)
Didereaux wrote:I like the rework. Seen those mtns, some rugged country. Did you do the Durango Rio steamer?

Monte, do you mean the Durango and Silverton? Because yes, we did, and did it in the open car! It was dusty and cold (there was still some snow on the ground) but we had a whale of a time! Daphne loved trains and train travel. Before we got our tiny trailer we went west three times on the Amtrak, in chair car (!!!). We had hoped to be able to do it again in a sleeper but...
DSRR.jpg
May 4, 2014, Blasting Boiler Scale. The engineer did this each time crossing a creek so the boiler scale would land in the creek. It has much in common with cleaning lime scale from your coffee maker. Nikon P7800, ƒ/3.2, 7.6 mm, 1/400 ISO 80
DSRR.jpg (153.59 KiB) Viewed 369 times
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus

Postby Didereaux » Sat May 13, 2017 8:10 pm

Yep, sure do Durango Silverton I mix upor in with the Denver Rio Grande.
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 15, 2017 2:18 am

Charles Haacker wrote:The Spanish Peaks are a pair of prominent mountains located in southwestern Huerfano County, Colorado. The Ute Indians named them Huajatolla, meaning "two breasts". The Ute name translates as "Breasts of the Earth". Wikipedia

I really like what you've done with this and your processing makes it three-dimensional with the lights and darks. I kind of like the one of Flickr more though.

This is a fun project I hope you continue especially knowing we're sharing your journey with the two of you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”