“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseProvidence RI

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Providence RI

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu May 11, 2017 2:30 pm

From a trip we took back in Feb. "Thoughts of Sudek" 100mm macro, shot wide open, f2.8
Attachments
IMG_7571 Anitque 20X24.jpg
IMG_7571 Anitque 20X24.jpg (333.94 KiB) Viewed 431 times
Today is the Day, a New Day.

Didereaux
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: Providence RI

Postby Didereaux » Thu May 11, 2017 2:43 pm

...IF the capitol bldg were not behind them I would like the power line and pole. But with them overlapping a third it makes for me a disjointed picture. The bldg is complicated whereas the rest of the picture is minimal. It almost gives the feeling that this is a cut and paste job. One of the few I can remember of your works that missed the mark with me. But then I am rarely near any bulls-eye, so missing me might be the best aim anyways! (...*)
There are no banal subjects in photography, but an infinite number of banal ways to illustrate them.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu May 11, 2017 3:01 pm

I love it warts and all, if it has warts. It has the look of a gum bichromate. There is a sense of timelessness, perhaps of being out of time. It could be quite old. It is one of those pictures I can look at for a long time. It is restful yet exciting.

And thanks, Ernst! I am always struck by the internet itself. I confess I had never heard of Josef Sudek. A quick Google, a Wikipedia article, then another quick Google for sudek st vitus and there they are, endless Sudek pictures inside St. Vitus Cathedral and all sorts of other places, and many if not most have the characteristic look of gum bichromates (whether they were or not). I think I've been online now about 17 years and I can no longer imagine trying to get along without it. I swear I have tripled my knowledge base in 17 years. Yes, I know one has to be careful, but I think I am, and I remain boggled every day by new knowledge. :S
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Thu May 11, 2017 3:05 pm

I have a few of his books in my Photo Library. What a photographer he was and only one arm.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sat May 13, 2017 8:17 am

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:From a trip we took back in Feb. "Thoughts of Sudek" 100mm macro, shot wide open, f2.8

In practical terms the subject does nothing for me, but the processing with its strong black and white set against a noisy background works so well it's hard not to look at again and again as my eye is drawn from the capitol building to the lamp post and back again over and over. It's interesting and I like it!

If I may ask, what draws you to take a photo, or maybe better said how do you learn to see like this? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon May 15, 2017 3:44 pm

Boy Steve, Tuff question.

While in Vietnam at the ripe age of 19 and friend gave me his old pentax spotmatic, I had no direction in life, knew I didn't care much for the military and made my mind up that I wanted
to become a photographer.
Over 30 years ago I was inspired to become an artist using my camera, I had no idea this was possible. What draws me is how visual subjects can be so exciting, no matter the subject matter.
How does one learn to see, for me by studying constantly the history of photography, looking at all art, finding those things that really interest me and working on those interests whenever I have the chance.
I practice alot!!!!! We all need to open our eyes wide to be able to see for ourselves.

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Ernst-Ulrich Schafer » Mon May 15, 2017 3:52 pm

As to this image, there is alot of eye movement going on here. Two subject matters want your attention, the lamp post and the capital building. The similarity of shapes, the strong line coming from the post holding the traffic light, the highlight line at the bottom and yet there is hopefully a sense of balance going on even though these elements make you explore what your looking at. Shot with my backup camera Canon 40d with a 100mm macro lens an using it wide open.

Best to ya, Ernst

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Mon May 15, 2017 6:39 pm

I am glad to see this one rise out of the labyrinth, as I wanted to see it again and lost track of it. When I first spotted it I recognized where it was, and wanted to comment.

Though there is nothing about the subject matter that grabbed me other than my own recognition, I was interested in how and why it worked, and thought it was because of the visual path that kind of leads you in a somewhat circular pattern and won't let you out. So you've gotta keep looking at it, tracing those lines and angles up and down and around. There is no way out. The editing is well done, with sharp and dull edges, light and shadow. The composition is maintained in balance with all those oddly disconnected elements. So I don't mind getting stuck. But it is such an interesting means of composing. I could make comparisons to music pieces that have repetitious cycles, but I'm not schooled in music and don't have the words for it, only the ear.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon May 15, 2017 7:57 pm

Ernst-Ulrich Schafer wrote:...
I practice alot!!!!! We all need to open our eyes wide to be able to see for ourselves.

I will reread this again and again! Thank you! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”