Member's ShowcaseSaying Hi from the Pacific Northwest

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
LindaShorey
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Saying Hi from the Pacific Northwest

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:35 pm

Glad to be here. Looking forwarding to meeting everyone! I've been living in Washington State for a bit over 13 years. Originally from Maine, and known as Linda from Maine in another forum :)
rainier.jpg
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: Saying Hi from the Pacific Northwest

Postby St3v3M » Sun Apr 17, 2016 7:50 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Glad to be here. Looking forwarding to meeting everyone! I've been living in Washington State for a bit over 13 years. Originally from Maine, and known as Linda from Maine in another forum :)
rainier.jpg

Hey Linda, it's great to find you here and see your first post!

I have to ask, is that Mount Rainier and where did you shoot it from? The cloud formations are incredible.

Can you tell us a little more about this shot and anything you want to add? Thanks again! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

LindaShorey
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby LindaShorey » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:40 pm

St3v3M wrote:
LindaShorey wrote:Glad to be here. Looking forwarding to meeting everyone! I've been living in Washington State for a bit over 13 years. Originally from Maine, and known as Linda from Maine in another forum :)
rainier.jpg

Hey Linda, it's great to find you here and see your first post!

I have to ask, is that Mount Rainier and where did you shoot it from? The cloud formations are incredible.

Can you tell us a little more about this shot and anything you want to add? Thanks again! S-

Thanks so much, Steve. Yes, Mt Rainier, but she was looking a little "gray" in this photo, taken at the end of September, because a hot summer followed a mild winter (very little snow) last year. Shot this from a scenic turnout west of White Pass summit on State Route 12.

I've been fortunate to view lenticular clouds over both Mt Rainier and Mt Adams (the volcano I can see best from Yakima) fairly often. Sometimes they barely form and then dissipate; other times they hang around for a few hours. Also called "cap" clouds when at the summit like this.

As with many photos of vast landscapes, mountains and such, it can be very hard to convey the power and size to anyone not having had a similar experience. For me, breathtaking every time I am near!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby St3v3M » Sun Apr 17, 2016 8:54 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Thanks so much, Steve. Yes, Mt Rainier, but she was looking a little "gray" in this photo, taken at the end of September, because a hot summer followed a mild winter (very little snow) last year. Shot this from a scenic turnout on the west side of the summit, State Route 12.

I've been fortunate to view lenticular clouds over both Mt Rainier and Mt Adams (the volcano I can see best from Yakima) fairly often. Sometimes they barely form and then dissipate; other times they hang around for a few hours. Also called "cap" clouds when at the summit like this.

As with many photos of vast landscapes, mountains and such, it can be very hard to convey the power and size to anyone not having had a similar experience. For me, breathtaking every time I am near!

I'd like to climb Mount Rainier when I can so I appreciate the beautiful inspiration and the details of the scene.

I Googled lenticular clouds and was amazed to see how fascinating they are. I see they still make the beer in it's honor too.

The next time I go I'll stand at the top and radio you to take a photo so we can set the scale. laf

Thank you again for sharing and keep them coming! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby TomCofer » Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:02 pm

Hello and welcome Linda!
Don't mind the scaffolding that you see laying around, we're under a bit of reconstruction around here. :) If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, feel free to contact me, Duck, Onslow, or one of the other mods.

Love the shot. I managed to tromp around the lower part of Mt. Rainer for a bit many years ago. It was 20 years after Mt. St. Hellen's temper tantrum. I spent a little more time there, even walked a lava tube.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

PeteD
Mentoris Praefectus
Mentoris Praefectus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby PeteD » Sun Apr 17, 2016 11:43 pm

Excellent shot. Welcome to the forum

LindaShorey
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby LindaShorey » Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:47 pm

Pete and Tom, thanks so much for your welcome and nice comments!

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”