Landscapes, cityscapes, skyscapes, seascapes, starscapes, panoramas
WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

IR imagery #4 - landscapes from the Namib desert

Postby WesternGuy » Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:21 pm

As some of you know by now, I have re-discovered IR imagery, having converted a Canon 5D Mark III to capture images in the Infrared spectrum using a 590nm, or Super Colour filter - http://www.lifepixel.com/infrared-filters-choices. I was able to take this camera to Africa with me to capture some landscape images of the dunes (and other things) in the Namib desert.

This one was shot with the converted 5D III and a 24-105 lens at 32 mm - EXIF ISO 100, 1/250 sec at f/13, +1/3 EV. It is a view across the desert towards some mountainous terrain showing the scrubby vegetation that is present in some places. It generally appears dead, but comes to life every four or five years when there is some rain fall.

20151019-IMG_8934.jpg

This is a shot of the Sossus dunes. The surface of the desert is sloping towards me. The dunes are about 500 to 1000m above the desert floor and are probably 5 to 10 km or more away. Shot with the 5D III and a 24-105mm lens at 80mm - EXIF ISO 100, 1/160 sec at f/13, +1/3 EV.

20151016-IMG_8925.jpg

I realize that this type of photography will not appeal to everyone, but it is something I enjoy and I hope that all will appreciate it for the art form that it is.

WesternGuy

============================================================================================
:wall: :thumbdown: This posting took more time than it should have. On each, except the last, attempt (5+) I was presented with an http error and no explanation of where it came from or why I received it. The only way to resolve it, or at least it seemed like the only way, was to delete the file and start over. It became a very frustrating experience to try and upload these images from my hard drive to this posting. This is not the first time I have had this problem, but I hope it will be the last. I am hoping that someone out there (Duck, Tom) will be able to help me figure out if it is something I am doing, or if there is a problem with the code that uploads the images...or...is there a better way to upload these images to the forum. Any insight, help, etc, that can be provided will be greatly appreciated and will help lower my frustration level.
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

My Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/westernguy/
My new blog: http://photowestguy.wordpress.com/

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: IR imagery #4 - landscapes from the Namib desert

Postby Onslow » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:30 am

These are wonderful images. A friend has a Nikon converted for Infra Red. and the results are different to yours. Obviously the filter chosen has a marked effect on the result.
By the way, In the tutorials section is a tutorial on uploading images to pM. Have a look at that and see if that helps. If not, drop me a line.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 pm

Nice shots WG. Really neat look there.

WesternGuy wrote: This posting took more time than it should have. On each, except the last, attempt (5+) I was presented with an http error and no explanation of where it came from or why I received it. The only way to resolve it, or at least it seemed like the only way, was to delete the file and start over. It became a very frustrating experience to try and upload these images from my hard drive to this posting. This is not the first time I have had this problem, but I hope it will be the last. I am hoping that someone out there (Duck, Tom) will be able to help me figure out if it is something I am doing, or if there is a problem with the code that uploads the images...or...is there a better way to upload these images to the forum. Any insight, help, etc, that can be provided will be greatly appreciated and will help lower my frustration level.

John or Duck are more likely to help you figure out what caused the problem than I am. I'm really not much on the tech stuff. If you give them the details of what occurred, they may have an answer for you.

I can give you a best guess and some possible solutions that may help.

SUSPECT HOUSEKEEPING
Those good looking women in their French maid uniforms usually have good intentions, but they can be distracting and disruptive as hell. :)

Seriously, while we are on our computers, there is often a lot of behind-the-scenes housekeeping/maintenance going on. Our computer's operating system, anti-virus and other software, and drivers are scanning and updating more often than we realize. The same thing happens with your IP, the website software, and the host. Some of this stuff happens on a schedule and some of it is done "as needed". Most of the time, it is all done quietly in the background with little or no notice. Once in a while, it can cause problems or draw attention. It's kinda like going to use the bathroom and discovering that the maid is in there cleaning. :)

I ran into this a few times, where I find my computer acting strangely or have trouble getting something done. I've had my monitor act strangely and discovered that a graphics software or driver was updating. More than once, I had Photoshop running slow or act strange and discovered that my anti-virus was doing it's scheduled scan or update in the background. The same kind of stuff can occur when you are on a website.

I usually cuss once or twice, shake it off, and come back later. If I'm pressed for time and it's something that is going on inside my own computer, I'll pause or hault the background process until I finish what I am doing.

I think most of the websites tend to do their housekeeping/maintenance on a schedule. If you are frequently getting on the site at the same time of day and the same day of the week, perhaps you are doing so during the scheduled "housekeeping" time.

Again, I may be completely wrong here, but it is my best guess.
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby WesternGuy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:11 am

Onslow wrote:These are wonderful images. A friend has a Nikon converted for Infra Red. and the results are different to yours. Obviously the filter chosen has a marked effect on the result.
By the way, In the tutorials section is a tutorial on uploading images to pM. Have a look at that and see if that helps. If not, drop me a line.

Thanks, I am glad you like them. You are probably correct in that filter chosen has an effect of the results. It may also be that a different way of processing images is used. The filter that I have on my 5D III is a 590nm filter, also referred to as the Super Colour Filter. It allows a certain amount of visible red light to pass as true infrared doesn't start until about 780nm, so depending on the filter that he has chosen, the results may be quite different from mine. I chose 590nm because there is still some visible light passed and I liked the effect that results from the post processing.

WesternGuy
You only get one sunrise and one sunset a day, and you only get so many days on the planet. A good photographer does the math and doesn't waste either. - Galen Rowell

WesternGuy
Mentoris Tribunus
Mentoris Tribunus

Postby WesternGuy » Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:36 am

TomCofer wrote:...edited...

John or Duck are more likely to help you figure out what caused the problem than I am. I'm really not much on the tech stuff. If you give them the details of what occurred, they may have an answer for you.

I can give you a best guess and some possible solutions that may help.

SUSPECT HOUSEKEEPING
Those good looking women in their French maid uniforms usually have good intentions, but they can be distracting and disruptive as hell. :)

Seriously, while we are on our computers, there is often a lot of behind-the-scenes housekeeping/maintenance going on. Our computer's operating system, anti-virus and other software, and drivers are scanning and updating more often than we realize. The same thing happens with your IP, the website software, and the host. Some of this stuff happens on a schedule and some of it is done "as needed". Most of the time, it is all done quietly in the background with little or no notice. Once in a while, it can cause problems or draw attention. It's kinda like going to use the bathroom and discovering that the maid is in there cleaning. :)

I ran into this a few times, where I find my computer acting strangely or have trouble getting something done. I've had my monitor act strangely and discovered that a graphics software or driver was updating. More than once, I had Photoshop running slow or act strange and discovered that my anti-virus was doing it's scheduled scan or update in the background. The same kind of stuff can occur when you are on a website.

I usually cuss once or twice, shake it off, and come back later. If I'm pressed for time and it's something that is going on inside my own computer, I'll pause or halt the background process until I finish what I am doing.

I think most of the websites tend to do their housekeeping/maintenance on a schedule. If you are frequently getting on the site at the same time of day and the same day of the week, perhaps you are doing so during the scheduled "housekeeping" time.

Again, I may be completely wrong here, but it is my best guess.

Tom, I am aware of all the "stuff" that sometime goes on "behind the scenes", so to speak, but believe me when I say that very little, if anything, goes on "behind the scenes" on my machine that I don't know about. I have Windows configured to "tell" on itself and any other "programs" that try and sneak one in, so I don't usually worry about that sort of stuff - actually, Norton is also a good tattle tale :) . The interesting thing about this problem, is that it has yet to happen with my "52 week" postings, only with the ones I post in the Landscape forum - go figure. Anyway, I sent Onslow a note in a follow-up to his response to my concern and we will see what happens from there.

WG

Return to “― Scapes Showcase”