Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes ShowcaseA Deceptively Peaceful Setting

Ceropegia
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

A Deceptively Peaceful Setting

Post by Ceropegia » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:13 am

These photos were taken at the site of a low head dam constructed for a Gulf States Steel pumping station that was abandoned in 2000 when the steel plant closed. Low head dams have been called “drowning machines.” As water goes over the dam, it creates a strong recirculating current, called a backroller or boil, at the base of the dam. The force of the backroller can trap boats against the dam and capsize them. People in the water can be trapped, pulled, and held under, even if they are wearing a life vest or personal flotation device. Since 2015 four people have drowned at this dam. Funds were voted to remove it in 2017, but it has yet to be removed. It is located in Attalla, Alabama on Big Wills Creek.
Attachments
IMG_6119au.jpg
Immediately upstream.
IMG_6125aclu.jpg
The dam.

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by PietFrancke » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:50 pm

look deceptively safe - and attractive, the kind of place that is easy to get close to, and invites you to get closer.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:30 pm

Ceropegia wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:13 am
These photos were taken at the site of a low head dam constructed for a Gulf States Steel pumping station that was abandoned in 2000 when the steel plant closed. Low head dams have been called “drowning machines.” As water goes over the dam, it creates a strong recirculating current, called a backroller or boil, at the base of the dam. The force of the backroller can trap boats against the dam and capsize them. People in the water can be trapped, pulled, and held under, even if they are wearing a life vest or personal flotation device. Since 2015 four people have drowned at this dam. Funds were voted to remove it in 2017, but it has yet to be removed. It is located in Attalla, Alabama on Big Wills Creek.
We have these types of dams around here, too, and you're so right about how dangerous they can be while they look very benign. Good job capturing that "deception" in a setting of lush greenery.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:43 pm

Really like #1 is well framed..good job