― Scapes ShowcaseBluebells

John N
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Bluebells

Post by John N » Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 am

It was a dour Winter here, poor light, damp, wet, and cold. I couldn't find the inspiration to get out there and try something, but hopefully I've rediscovered my mojo.
Another image that has been shown on other fora, and commented on by some photomentorians.
This shot of bluebells I went out to capture for a local fund raising calendar. I had seen a shot that I rather liked on a Nature review site and was hoping to get a similar shot but in local woods. I really wanted a fallen trunk to break up a stronger display of bluebells - but I'm limited to the local area for this shot. I settled for this, the nearest I could to my original intention of showing a carpet of bluebells throughout an expanse of woodland.
I have taken notice of comments made on other forums but feel my original attempt best displays a general calendar shot. All comments welcome.
Attachments
bluebells calendar.JPG
Cowleaze Woods bluebells.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by Charles Haacker » Mon May 14, 2018 1:44 pm

I think it's fine, well balanced, inviting. "There is no light like back light." Excellent detail everywhere, even scant detail in the shadowed trees. The spotlit effect on the bluebells emphasizes them nicely but the hottest spot is not blown. Gives a "peaceful, easy feeling." (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Imperator
Mentoris Imperator
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Post by minniev » Wed May 16, 2018 3:03 am

John N wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 am
It was a dour Winter here, poor light, damp, wet, and cold. I couldn't find the inspiration to get out there and try something, but hopefully I've rediscovered my mojo.
Another image that has been shown on other fora, and commented on by some photomentorians.
This shot of bluebells I went out to capture for a local fund raising calendar. I had seen a shot that I rather liked on a Nature review site and was hoping to get a similar shot but in local woods. I really wanted a fallen trunk to break up a stronger display of bluebells - but I'm limited to the local area for this shot. I settled for this, the nearest I could to my original intention of showing a carpet of bluebells throughout an expanse of woodland.
I have taken notice of comments made on other forums but feel my original attempt best displays a general calendar shot. All comments welcome.
I think it's a really fine capture, holding detail in light that isn't easy to work with. It's a very pleasing scene. Yes, the fallen tree trunk would be nice but you have other elements to break the image up into viewing spaces. Some other nice compositions could be made by getting down closer, but for a calendar, there is often an expectation of a wide angle shot like the one you've posted here. The one thing I'd suggest would be to raise/soften the blacks a bit, and let loose some of the detail that is there, but hidden, in the shadows. I tried a little experiment with your posted image, here. It could be taken a bit further without making it look HDRish, preserving the feel of the shadows (esp if you have a raw version).
Attachments
bluebells-calendar.jpg
bluebells-calendar.jpg (224.66 KiB) Viewed 326 times
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

PietFrancke
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Post by PietFrancke » Fri May 18, 2018 10:05 pm

John, that is a beautiful image. I missed the bluebells in the floodplain this year, but wish to capture them someday in a forest scene as you have with the sun splashing on them. It is a beautiful and natural setting.

Min, I like what you did to the image very much. The leaves are like now as if out of a fairy tale. I like in particular the center where things start to disappear and it draws you in deeper. I think though that the near splash of light to the left is now no longer the subject as it was in John's version, and I miss that. The beautiful leaves have somehow become the subject and the blue bells themselves want more attention!!

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by St3v3M » Sun Jun 17, 2018 3:43 am

John N wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 10:16 am
I've been slow to find inspiration lately too, but think you've found it. My gut says to crop in, while my heart says I want to be there! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"