“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

Member's ShowcaseHappy elephant in the clouds

The scenery around us is a ready target for our cameras. Point those images here.
- Scenic sights, architectural marvels, tourist landmarks, beaches, cottages, nooks and crannies can all find a home here.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Happy elephant in the clouds

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 14, 2017 10:28 pm

You can also get creative with your digital mats, like Ernst does with his posts.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Oct 14, 2017 11:12 pm

Duck wrote:You can also get creative with your digital mats, like Ernst does with his posts.

Excellent point!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:50 am

LindaShorey wrote:I like the bit of space at the top, though truthfully I don't think I would have noticed if I hadn't read a reference to it. I personally prefer the softer processing of #1, since the gentle curves lend themselves to a gentle mood.

Regarding cropping: I briefly cut my own mats. It's not hard if you have good equipment and patience, and tend to be an exacting person to begin with (measure twice, cut once, lol). An alternative is adding "canvas" to the digital image.

In the below, the white you see on the vertical close-up was created in PS Elements by "extending the canvas" so the overall dimensions of the picture fit an 8x12 frame. The landscape to the right has some black canvas added to top and bottom. Maybe not that great a solution when viewed up close, but there was just no way to fit that aspect other than making my own mats or frames (original was 3:2, but I cropped some from bottom when doing initial edit).

Very clever Linda. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:08 am

Happy accidents are the best! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:59 pm

What a cool shot, Matt, and yes the echoing loops of elephant-trunk in sky and sand formations make it more than just a cool shot, they make it masterful. Whether you intended to do so or not. You have an instinctively good eye so you must "listen" to it! I do prefer the composition of the second one and the processing approach on the first one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby Matt Quinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 2:08 pm

Thanks, Minnie. I don't recall what processing I did for the first; I'll go back and experiment. I saw only the elephant in the sky (not Lucy with diamonds) and the reflection on the water but may have instinctively seen the third because I recall that I moved from side to side several times to frame this the way I shot it. And I only took one shot! Not like me at all. So, thank you for the advice to 'listen' to my eye. Now, to learn to process for the eye. Best, Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Return to “Landscapes & Scenics”