Edit My Shotchallenge to recover detail in "hands"

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

challenge to recover detail in "hands"

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:06 pm

It was suggested by Bobby that this photo be reposted here....as you can see below the detail has been lost in the highlights...in the black and white section both contrast and dodging were attempted but this does not recover detail....
there is a possibility of cloning or using the patch tool but recently there has been a lot of talk on frequency separation which may also do the trick....
anyone who wishes to try is welcome
Attachments
handspm.jpg
handspm.jpg (495.3 KiB) Viewed 1280 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by Duck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:41 pm

Any way of linking to the original image? Working with a compressed JPG has inherent limitations.
Thanks
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImage

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:45 pm

Duck wrote:Any way of linking to the original image? Working with a compressed JPG has inherent limitations.
Thanks

oh dear....here we go...how do i do that? ...no idea...the raw image is nothing like this...i have the psd in black and white and the jpeg...need very clear instructions Duck
thanks in advance....by the way i haven't forgotten your gift card...on list of things to do...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:07 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:oh dear....here we go...how do i do that? ...no idea...the raw image is nothing like this...i have the psd in black and white and the jpeg...need very clear instructions Duck
thanks in advance....

The easiest way of sharing non-standard files (RAW, PSD, TIFF, PDF, etc.) is through the use of a service such as Dropbox. They offer a small amount of cloud space for free that is, in my opinion, quite generous in size (2GB). Once you have established an account you will be prompted to install their sharing software. It basically allows you to upload files from your computer to their server. It acts like a mirror drive as anything you put into your Dropbox folder on your computer automatically gets saved to theirs. You can then access that info from any computer by logging in to your account. You can also share content by sending the link to the content you want to share to the person you wish to share with. I create subfolders within my Dropbox account to hold a variety of things. I have folders I share with clients so they have access to everything within that folder while others I just share a specific file. Since that info is being shared from the Dropbox site you can feel secure that no other info is being touched on your computer. For example, I have a folder called "Edit My Shot" that only holds the files I share in that section of pM.

While I use Dropbox, there are plenty of other similar cloud based services including Adobe, Apple, Windows, Amazon, etc. If you already have a cloud account, see about their sharing services and just use that.

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:by the way i haven't forgotten your gift card...on list of things to do...

No rush. There are not time limits for this nor is there a test at the end. 8):

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:12 pm

1)which file do i put into dropbox?...i have an acc but never use it... raw/psd tiff...which do you prefer?
2)once i have it in dropbox i have found the share option but only email/message/airdrop/flicker/faceb or twitter....so how do i send?

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:28 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:1)which file do i put into dropbox?...i have an acc but never use it... raw/psd tiff...which do you prefer?
2)once i have it in dropbox i have found the share option but only email/message/airdrop/flicker/faceb or twitter....so how do i send?

Shine, Once the file has finshed uploading to dropbox, it is ready to share with others. How to do that?
1)Navigate in the dropbox folder until you can see the file you want to share.
2) In windows Rightclick the file and you will see the option to share dropbox link.
3) Select that option and it will copy a public link to the file to your clipboard.
4) In a message here, use the url... /url option on the toolbar to create the empty link.
5) Between the left and right INNER brackets, right click and paste the dropbox link from your clipboard.

eg [uri]https://www.dropbox.com/s/9t9l1ri6mb49tv2/_DSC6862.jpg?dl=0[/url]

I am not sure of the mac convention for right clicking menus...

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:33 pm

which image do they want black and white jpeg or raw or what????

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:37 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:which image do they want black and white jpeg or raw or what????

I think if you provide the link to the PSD with your retouching not flattened it would be the best solution Shine. It will however take some time to upload. Depending on the size, perhaps flatten it though. I don't know the speed of your net uploading.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Duck » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:40 pm

Well, the RAW file won't have any of the black and white conversions to it so the RAW files, in this case, won't benefit you for what you are asking for.
In this particular case the PSD file would work or, at minimum, a full resolution TIFF file would be second choice. It all depends on what you are comfortable sharing.
Of course being able to diagnose your workflow may shed light on any problems that could be avoided.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:55 pm

got this far now what...
Attachments
drop.jpg
drop.jpg (167.33 KiB) Viewed 1240 times