“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

ChallengesTV Remote Control

See how others view your image. Posted images can be edited by other members.
- A step beyond the normal method of learning by critique, here you can see side by side comparisons of what your image can become.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

TV Remote Control

Postby Duck » Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:50 am

By request, here is the link to the remote control image used for this shot; TV Remote

"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Re: TV Remote Control

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:14 pm

I'm still at the cleaning bit...taken an hour so far....i will do it....wait..!!....i am doing this on a "copy background layer"...presume that is correct???

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:43 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:I'm still at the cleaning bit...taken an hour so far....i will do it....wait..!!....i am doing this on a "copy background layer"...presume that is correct???

When you import the RAW file into PS, pass it through Camera RAW and normalize the image. Exposure, color balance, contrast, anything to make it look as good as you can within the confines of Camera RAW.

Once you import it to PS you will create a new blank layer. On this layer is where you would do all your cleaning, spot removal, dust deletion, cloning, etc. This spot removal layer has to be below any adjustment layers otherwise you run the risk of affecting the base layer and not the spot removal layer and then suddenly you'll have spots all over your image.

The reason for doing it on a blank layer rather than a layer copy is that if you make a mistake you can use the eraser tool to erase it from the blank layer. You can't do that from a layer copy. Just make sure you have Current Layer and Below selected as your target sample.

One tip is to lock the spot removal layer to the base layer so they don't loose alignment. Another tip is to have a clear idea of what actually needs spot removal and what doesn't. For example, I replaced the background on mine so I didn't need to spend time cleaning up the background.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:55 pm

Thanks for that ... When I downloaded through Dropbox think I already saw the changes you did to " normalize"... Played with sliders to see what you did ... Aware not to change background as will be changed ... Half way down the remote....
Lesson also learned to clean stuff before you start but I suppose they are micro specs....

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:05 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:Thanks for that ... When I downloaded through Dropbox think I already saw the changes you did to " normalize"... Played with sliders to see what you did ... Aware not to change background as will be changed ... Half way down the remote....
Lesson also learned to clean stuff before you start but I suppose they are micro specs....

Spot removal is one of the very first step I tend to do in just about every type of photography, whether product, portrait, landscape or what have you. It's just looks better when I start applying adjustments.

As you have found out, it can be a chore but it is no different than removing blemishes, stray hairs and other anomalies in portraits.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:23 pm

Duck wrote:
Shine Gonzalvez wrote:Thanks for that ... When I downloaded through Dropbox think I already saw the changes you did to " normalize"... Played with sliders to see what you did ... Aware not to change background as will be changed ... Half way down the remote....

Spot removal is one of the very first step I tend to do in just about every type of photography, whether product, portrait, landscape or what have you. It's just looks better when I start applying adjustments.

As you have found out, it can be a chore but it is no different than removing blemishes, stray hairs and other anomalies in portraits.

I'm normally adding them in on my types of portraits!!!!...

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:51 pm

i now have 2 layers...bacground lye...and new blank layer where i have cleaned up....is this good enough...i then made a new blank layer but i am stuck with selection as using the selection tool i cannot define the edge of the table top....also not great with selection tools...any chance of a bit more detail on this step
Attachments
rem.jpg
rem.jpg (495.18 KiB) Viewed 951 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:43 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:...any chance of a bit more detail on this step

Shine, you and a couple of others have prompted me to write this up as a tutorial. I started working on it last night but sleep took over. :(

Anyhow, at this point you want to separate the product from the background. In this case, the background really lacks interest. However, the reflection of the product presents a technical issue. You can't completely remove it as it is a nice visual element, and you can't fake it by inverting the remote (it never looks right). For isolating the product from the background you need to create a clipping path around the remote and create a layer mask from it. You can use your favorite technique here (marquee tool, lasso took, quick mask, etc.)

Unfortunately the bottom part of the product blends into the table because it is very dark. One way to overcome a problem like this is to create an exposure layer, pump up the exposure until you can clearly see the edge of the remote and make your mask selection from that. This is going to make all your spot removal work really stand out. Temporarily turn off visibility on your spot removal layer. Once you have made your clipping path and generated a good layer mask from it you can get rid of the exposure layer. Use the Refine Mask utility to clean up and soften up the edge a touch.

The layer mask can be on the background layer as at this point you should have blank layers above it with the spot removal work only. To create the background layers you will need to unlock the background layer. Also, link the background and spot removal layers together so they don't become misaligned. If you are comfortable with the spot removal you've done you can also merge that layer with the background layer at this time. While merging layers mid work is often not advised except to accomplish certain effects, in this case it is a minor sin. :)

With the layer mask on the background you should see just the remote and it's reflection. Create a new blank layer and drop it below the product layer. Pick a nice color for your background gradation. Make sure it is not too bright as it will be blending into black on the outskirts. Too bright a color and the effect looks blazingly bright. With the gradient tool set to radial, drop in a nice background onto the blank layer. For mine I started the gradient on the dash between the RC and S3 on the faceplate and then dragged it to the far upper corner.

For the tabletop, I copied the background layer (remote layer) and clipped all but the horizon line out. I was left with a thin strip along the bottom of the page with a section of remote control visible. You will need to remove that bit of remote out as the next step will not work well unless it's removed. You can use whatever quick and dirty method you choose. I just did a content aware fill and it was gone.

Once you have removed the remote off the tabletop apply Motion Blur to it in a horizontal blur. Not too much, just enough to eliminate the dust and scratches. Move this layer behind the remote but above the background gradient. In order for it to look like it belongs there apply a bit of transparency to that layer until it looks like the tabletop is reflecting some of the background color.

Hope this helps.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:52 pm

thanks duck...will need to study this.....will def this bit of work completed somehow...hope I'm not hassling you too much...but think may come in useful for my portraits...
thanks so much

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:54 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:thanks duck...will need to study this.....will def this bit of work completed somehow...hope I'm not hassling you too much...but think may come in useful for my portraits...
thanks so much

Hassle me. That's why I am here.

Return to “Edit My Shot”