“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

ChallengesTV Remote Control

See how others view your image. Posted images can be edited by other members.
- A step beyond the normal method of learning by critique, here you can see side by side comparisons of what your image can become.
Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: TV Remote Control

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:34 am

Duck wrote:
Shine Gonzalvez wrote:...any chance of a bit more detail on this step

Shine, you and a couple of others have prompted me to write this up as a tutorial. I started working on it last night but sleep took over. :(

Anyhow, at this point you want to separate the product from the background. In this case, the background really lacks interest. However, the reflection of the product presents a technical issue. You can't completely remove it as it is a nice visual element, and you can't fake it by inverting the remote (it never looks right). For isolating the product from the background you need to create a clipping path around the remote and create a layer mask from it. You can use your favorite technique here (marquee tool, lasso took, quick mask, etc.)

Unfortunately the bottom part of the product blends into the table because it is very dark. One way to overcome a problem like this is to create an exposure layer, pump up the exposure until you can clearly see the edge of the remote and make your mask selection from that. This is going to make all your spot removal work really stand out. Temporarily turn off visibility on your spot removal layer. Once you have made your clipping path and generated a good layer mask from it you can get rid of the exposure layer. Use the Refine Mask utility to clean up and soften up the edge a touch.

The layer mask can be on the background layer as at this point you should have blank layers above it with the spot removal work only. To create the background layers you will need to unlock the background layer. Also, link the background and spot removal layers together so they don't become misaligned. If you are comfortable with the spot removal you've done you can also merge that layer with the background layer at this time. While merging layers mid work is often not advised except to accomplish certain effects, in this case it is a minor sin. :)

With the layer mask on the background you should see just the remote and it's reflection. Create a new blank layer and drop it below the product layer. Pick a nice color for your background gradation. Make sure it is not too bright as it will be blending into black on the outskirts. Too bright a color and the effect looks blazingly bright. With the gradient tool set to radial, drop in a nice background onto the blank layer. For mine I started the gradient on the dash between the RC and S3 on the faceplate and then dragged it to the far upper corner.

For the tabletop, I copied the background layer (remote layer) and clipped all but the horizon line out. I was left with a thin strip along the bottom of the page with a section of remote control visible. You will need to remove that bit of remote out as the next step will not work well unless it's removed. You can use whatever quick and dirty method you choose. I just did a content aware fill and it was gone.

Once you have removed the remote off the tabletop apply Motion Blur to it in a horizontal blur. Not too much, just enough to eliminate the dust and scratches. Move this layer behind the remote but above the background gradient. In order for it to look like it belongs there apply a bit of transparency to that layer until it looks like the tabletop is reflecting some of the background color.

Hope this helps.

ok....im doing quite well here and have promised myself that i can only continue with my style of work when this is done.....thats why all recent posts are from my
archives...
im stuck on "a gradient on the dash between the RC and S3 on the faceplate"...i know what gradient is.. and thats about it....ive googled it and it talks about the parts of a helicopter and the samsung s3 tablet....so not much help
thanks in advance
shine

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:42 am

Presume
RC is radial centre... I know what that is

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:50 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:Presume
RC is radial centre... I know what that is

Shine, are you ready for a head smack?
Look on the TV remote, notice the RC-S3 printed on the face?
I'll give you a minute...
:wall:

As for the gradient tool, you will find it as an option in the Color Fill dialog. You have the option of doing linear, radial or conical fill. Select the radial fill then select your new background layer. Place your cursor on the dash line of the RC-S3 printed on the remote. That places the focal point of the new gradient in a nice position behind the product.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled programming. :pop:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Sun Jan 25, 2015 5:21 pm

I'm soooooooooo thick .....this time i was laughing at myself.....bet you were too!!!....told you i was a beginner...
ok
I've got this far...
stuck with the horizontal line bit and bottom part of reflection
i.e.
" For the tabletop, I copied the background layer (remote layer) and clipped all but the horizon line out. I was left with a thin strip along the bottom of the page with a section of remote control visible. You will need to remove that bit of remote out as the next step will not work well unless it's removed. You can use whatever quick and dirty method you choose. I just did a content aware fill and it was gone.

Once you have removed the remote off the tabletop apply Motion Blur to it in a horizontal blur. Not too much, just enough to eliminate the dust and scratches. Move this layer behind the remote but above the background gradient. In order for it to look like it belongs there apply a bit of transparency to that layer until it looks like the tabletop is reflecting some of the background colour."
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2015-01-25-at-17.02.51.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-01-25-at-17.02.51.jpg (481.66 KiB) Viewed 1036 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:24 pm

For the table the quick and dirty method of removing dust is to do a Motion Blur horizontally. This keeps the tonal blend but removes the distracting dust elements. The only problem is that it will also apply motion blur to the edges of the remote. This will cause an unsightly halo around the remote. The way to avoid this is by eliminating the edges of the remote. You can use any method that works best for you. I chose to clip that part of the remote and do a Content Aware Fill. This will replace the section of remote with parts of the table. Another method is with the Liquify tool. Just push the edges of the remote inwards away from the table so that when the blur effect is applied the remote edges don't bleed out from behind the retouched product. Another way is to use Clone Stamp to eliminate the edges of the remote by clonning part of the tabletop to remove the lower part of the unwanted remote. Once you have removed enough of the remote on this layer you can then apply your Motion Blur to clean up the table top, add some transparency for color and you're done with that layer.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:46 pm

think its done ...comments please....can you have a quick look over the psd and see if i followed it correctly...
thanks in advance
Attachments
Screen-Shot-2015-01-26-at-19.36.55.jpg
Screen-Shot-2015-01-26-at-19.36.55.jpg (485.51 KiB) Viewed 1026 times
remote1.jpg
remote1.jpg (387.03 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:28 am

Looking Good, Shine.
A couple of easy suggestions... Brighten up the background just a touch. You want that product to stand off from the background enough so edges don't blend into the background. Second, lower the opacity setting on the tabletop layer (layer 5 in your workflow). It allows some of that background color to come through and looks like the table is subtly reflecting the background light. Other than that, I think you did it. :clap: (OK)

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Postby Shine Gonzalvez » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:42 am

Thank you very much duck .... I can do the above .... That was hard but nevertheless lots learned which was the aim of the game!!!... Thank you once again ...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 am

Oh, and by the way... I love how you decided to use red for your background. It picks up the red around the OFF button on the remote. I wish I had thought of that. (OK)

Return to “Edit My Shot”