"Don't sit down and wait for the opportunities to come. Get up and make them." —Madam C.J. Walker

Edit My ShotOlivia at Mt Laura

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Olivia at Mt Laura

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:32 pm

TomCofer wrote:Hmm, I can't decide which B&W version I like best. Elements of both are nice.
I like the near terrain detail in Shine's but like how John has Olivia looking a bit more solid/darker. Maybe a combination of the two??

the solid darker dress doesn't bring out the texture of the dress as much ....i don't think?...what processing are you using?

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Post by Onslow » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:36 pm

TomCofer wrote:Hmm, I can't decide which B&W version I like best. Elements of both are nice.
I like the near terrain detail in Shine's but like how John has Olivia looking a bit more solid/darker. Maybe a combination of the two??

My thoughts on this processing are to steer the eyes to the model first and the background 2nd. The foreground has lots of little details in the rocks and boulders which for me were distracting from Olivia and the background. I find the smooth tones of the clouds and the elongated shadows to Olivias lower left in the distance to be far more interesting than the intricate and jagged detail up close.
This was my thinking that drove my processing of the black and white.
It would be interesting if when we do these, we could also have a short description or piece as to why the particular processing style was chosen.. It helps me at least see other viewpoints and what others see that I don't.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:44 pm

I pulled out the ruggedness of the terrine to contrast the roughness of it compared to her elegance....i don't think anything will distract from the beauty/elegance of the model.....i particularly worked on the texture and shadows of the dress....the bust and the tail end of the dress being darker than the body....i also enhanced the folds of the dress and enhanced the light rays to point towards her......

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:44 pm

Shine Gonzalvez wrote:

the solid darker dress doesn't bring out the texture of the dress as much ....i don't think?...what processing are you using?

:? Was your question directed to me or John? He's the one that did the other B&W edit.

My answer: I'm not sure! :D I made various luminosity masks and then used different ones in different adjustments, just playing around until I found something that I liked. I know that John likes his vignettes and understand why, and he is right. It's just that In this one, I like seeing the detail in the foreground though.
---
John, you posted while I was writing this. :D
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:48 pm

TomCofer wrote:
Shine Gonzalvez wrote:

:? Was your question directed to me or John? He's the one that did the other B&W edit.

My answer: I'm not sure! :D I made various luminosity masks and then used different ones in different adjustments, just playing around until I found something that I liked. I know that John likes his vignettes and understand why, and he is right. It's just that In this one, I like seeing the detail in the foreground though.
---

question directed at john regarding how he processed his black and white....

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:47 am

TomCofer wrote:My answer: I'm not sure! :D I made various luminosity masks and then used different ones in different adjustments, just playing around until I found something that I liked. I know that John likes his vignettes and understand why, and he is right. It's just that In this one, I like seeing the detail in the foreground though.
---

I wander into PS when I think an image needs that level of work. With this image, I thought LR would be able to handle it as I perceived it.
Shine Gonzalvez wrote:question directed at john regarding how he processed his black and white....

My basic processing for any image was applied to this first.
The steps for my basic processing in LR I'll list here..
On import into LR, I apply my custom camera profile,
Adjust WB from my colorchecker passport.
Apply automatically the Lens Profile and corrections (inc chromatic aberration)
Apply the basic exposure settings I think the image needs
Apply the capture sharpening and noise reduction to suit.

This gives me my basic image for work. Even for b+w, the basic color setup is important.
From there, I'll have a good idea of the type of processing it can support. In this particular case, I believe that a straight B+W conversion in LR would be sufficient. The idea there is that I adjust the red, orange and yellow sliders until I get a skin (for a caucasian) that looks reasonably bright. Knowing that she has a dark red dress then turns into a balance between the red dress and the skin tone. Once I am happy with the model and the clothing colour tones, I'll move the other sliders to taste. This is where a good processing of the colour image can pay dividends as good colour separation can highlight the tonal differences in b+w.
I then wandered back to the Basic panel and adjusted the contrast and clarity to give me an image that was starting to display the stronger tones and contrast I look for in b+w.
Once I am happy with the overall "feel" of the image, I will then more than likely look at draping a wide faint vignette over it in LR just to help steer the eye.

If however, I think I need a bit more industrial strength work on it, I will still do my basic processing where I then use CC along with PhotoKit 2 color effects by Pixel Genius. This I find, combined with various layers and masks will help me get the look I am after. I used this method in a post in Critics Corner/Black and White on Dec 6th called "Near Quorn in South Australia". On the 2nd page of that thread is a picture of it framed....

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Post by TomCofer » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:32 am

Thanks for the detailed info. John. :)
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

Shine Gonzalvez
Mentoris Dux
Mentoris Dux

Post by Shine Gonzalvez » Sun Jan 11, 2015 7:33 am

Thank you john... I have never used Lightroom ... You have pushed me on to give it a go .... LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Post by Onslow » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:36 am

TomCofer wrote:Thanks for the detailed info. John. :)

Thank you Tom... :)
Shine Gonzalvez wrote:Thank you john... I have never used Lightroom ... You have pushed me on to give it a go .... LOVE THIS SITE!!!!

Shine, if you use Adobe Bridge and Photoshop instead, the same steps will apply. LR is essentially the same as Bridge and Camera Raw. There is a completely different interface but if you open the image in Camera raw, you will be able to replicate the steps I described as the panels are also in Camera Raw.

Chris G
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Chris G » Tue Jan 13, 2015 4:07 am

Here's my go.. Processed with Capture one pro 8 and Photoshop CC 2014

Cheers, Chris..

Facebook: L'Obsession Secrète
Facebook: Random work