“It is better to inspire than direct." —Sheryl Sandberg

ChallengesA Wombat Bend Landscape

See how others view your image. Posted images can be edited by other members.
- A step beyond the normal method of learning by critique, here you can see side by side comparisons of what your image can become.
Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

A Wombat Bend Landscape

Postby Onslow » Mon Jul 06, 2015 9:10 am

Here is an image I recently captured on a visit to http://www.wombatbend.com/

Duck made some interesting observations so I thought I would post the raw here for people to play with and post here. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qe2msg4h0ava94/IMG_1451.dng?dl=0

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: A Wombat Bend Landscape

Postby Duck » Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:25 pm

IMG_1451.jpg
Billabong at Wombat Bend

My attempt. Probably a bit overdone for your taste, but...
That was fun. I might play around with it a bit more. I got some artifacting to get rid of and the sky came out looking too purple.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Onslow » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:27 am

Duck wrote:
IMG_1451.jpg

My attempt. Probably a bit overdone for your taste, but...
That was fun. I might play around with it a bit more. I got some artifacting to get rid of and the sky came out looking too purple.

Ha! You're starting to get my taste... ;) The crop is interesting though. My concern was the central tree with the crops I played with, you've gone further in from the right hand side which places the tree now to the right of centre.. I shall have aplay some more around your cropping. :)
BTW, The end use of these images is for the owneres, Sue and Bill to be able to use them for their advertising as well as thank them by sending them a large canvas of this scene. Their tastes reflect mine and so I tone down the post a bit more than you did here.. :)

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:40 am

Okay John, I approached this as for a client and less about experimentation. All processing was done in LR as I am more comfortable working with that program over Photoshop.

IMG_1451x.jpg
Before - crop only

IMG_1451.jpg
Full edit of the Billabong

I ended up doing a lot of color manipulations using brushes and gradients. The gradients were for the sky and water while the brushes were for the trees and window lights. I did a global cooling on the white balance to further bring out the green of the trees but then used a radial gradient to warm up the house. I finally burned shadows into the trees to sculpt them some more and added gradients to the lower corners to help pull the eye up and into the image.

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Onslow » Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:53 am

Duck wrote:Okay John, I approached this as for a client and less about experimentation. All processing was done in LR as I am more comfortable working with that program over Photoshop.

I ended up doing a lot of color manipulations using brushes and gradients. The gradients were for the sky and water while the brushes were for the trees and window lights. I did a global cooling on the white balance to further bring out the green of the trees but then used a radial gradient to warm up the house. I finally burned shadows into the trees to sculpt them some more and added gradients to the lower corners to help pull the eye up and into the image.

Ah, that 2 one is now starting to get there. I think I'd go a touch warmer on the trees only but as it is, you've captured the "feel" of the place well... :thumbup:

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Tue Jul 07, 2015 5:49 am

Onslow wrote:Ah, that 2 one is now starting to get there. I think I'd go a touch warmer on the trees only but as it is, you've captured the "feel" of the place well... :thumbup:

Thanks. It helps to have a photo of such a magical looking place to begin with. It looks very peaceful and relaxing.
Australia is on my bucket list. Last year was Ireland, so maybe the next vacation will be Down Under.

TomCofer
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby TomCofer » Wed Jul 08, 2015 10:03 pm

A bit different, but here's what I came up with:
IMG_1451b.jpg
Redneck Enthusiast Photographer on a shoestring budget.

thcofer@charter.net

Failure means you tried. Success means you need to set higher goals for yourself.

donolea
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby donolea » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:40 pm

Onslow wrote:Here is an image I recently captured on a visit to http://www.wombatbend.com/

Duck made some interesting observations so I thought I would post the raw here for people to play with and post here. :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0qe2msg4h0ava94/IMG_1451.dng?dl=0

I know this is an old post, but I just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd like to see what Wombat Bend would look like at night. Hope ya like ...
Attachments
WOMBAT BEND RESORT_Night.jpg

LindaShorey
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Sep 23, 2017 1:00 pm

donolea wrote:I know this is an old post, but I just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd like to see what Wombat Bend would look like at night. Hope ya like ...

Very cool, Don! Can you give a brief overview of how you do your day-to-night conversions? Is it a lengthy, involved process or are there a few first steps we could attempt that would head us in the right direction?
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

donolea
Mentoris Initio
Mentoris Initio

Postby donolea » Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:51 pm

LindaShorey wrote:
donolea wrote:I know this is an old post, but I just joined a couple of days ago and thought I'd like to see what Wombat Bend would look like at night. Hope ya like ...

Very cool, Don! Can you give a brief overview of how you do your day-to-night conversions? Is it a lengthy, involved process or are there a few first steps we could attempt that would head us in the right direction?

Funny you should ask ... I have been asked a number of times to create a tutorial and yesterday morning I actually had the time to do it. Since this is an old post and not many people are going to see it here, is there some place more relevant to post it for more folks to actually see it? I still new to this forum and still navigating around.

Thanks, Don

Return to “Edit My Shot”