"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Colonial Williamsburg'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: 'Colonial Williamsburg'

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I like both images for different reasons Mr. Chinn. The first seems almost a sketch, I might mask away the texture from their faces....the second I would like better without the white bleeding so much from the closet woman...just personal preference.

Frank, this what happens when one post processes the same image 3 years apart. Thanks for your comments and glad that you do like them both, even with different reasons.

The white bleeding you mentioned was intentional and is just an experimental issue I'm dealing with. Not sure if I'll do it again, but I wouldn't rule it out.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:37 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I like both very much, but I favor the first because I think it does look like a period woodcut. I like the "open fourth" position of the young man because it is classically period (men never stand that way any more but they should). They're both great. Flip a coin. :)

Thanks Chuck !!! I like your theory, "Flip a coin". Thats how I feel, I guess it all depends on how, where and if ever, it's to be used for display in print somewhere, but that's probably doubtful.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:07 pm

minniev wrote:I like them both, Dave, but that second one has such a unique appeal with that pastel processing and the intense detail, which is a huge contradiction that somehow works. I find myself staring, endlessly, at a those exquisite details.

Thanks Minnie. I'm always wanting and trying to do something unique. However, for me, I find it's difficult to broaden my appeal of differences. Although, since the second one is newer and so much of a different version, I do find it somewhat more appealing over the grudge looking version. I suppose I could go back to the grunge and back off some. I appreciate your feedback because it helps me with future images when it comes to a particular direction.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 2:47 pm

Duck wrote:
davechinn wrote:... most post processing is a personal preference, and that's where I run into an issue. I shouldn't do this to myself, but I do and did, processed the same image in two different styles, which creates a mind boggling catastrophe.

There is nothing wrong with the style of processing of either image. They are just presented in two different ways. It just boils down to what you're trying to convey through the processing. Each of these two conveys a different feel and neither one is wrong. Had you also included a more normal look and presented one in color and one in black and white they, too, would have been good. That's the beauty of digital processing, you do have all these options.

In the end the decision on what to present should be guided by what the intent of the image is. Are you looking to invoke an old timey, woodcut illustration feel or a softer romanticized look? Or are you just experimenting with possibilities? If it's the latter then neither one of these are better than the other as they are apples to oranges in processing. So in truth, your original question can be seen as being an unfair one. Some people like oranges, some like apples better.

In truth, you will probably get more from these two images if you separate then into their own threads and have them critiqued on their own merits.

Duck, thanks for your feedback and opinion. My goal and intention here was to get an idea to what style is most appealing, if any. I understand it all depends on what my intentions would be as in how and where its to be presented.

Yes as always, I'm experimenting, but also to gather opinions on which, if either is desirable. I didn't think my question was unfair at all. When it comes to apples and oranges, some have a different opinion with those too. Posting and displaying them in a different thread is good idea, but I wanted them to be together for close reference to see how most reactions would be between the two. I think in separate threads, I probably would have gotten a different reaction. Either way, I appreciate your thoughts and hope there is no confusion.
Dave

PietFrancke
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby PietFrancke » Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:19 pm

I am amazed at the different emotional quality these two images produce. I like the woodcut for the detail, but I love the pastel for the soul.

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Love these pictures and each on their own stand up well.
Where and when did the picture originate? It's like a candid time capsule
Nitpicks;
On the second picture you can see elements of effects of your filter around the man's hat, also, especially in the bush between the man and lady. There is a slight halo.
Of course I do not know what the original picture looked like.

If you can. Take the second picture back into camera raw and reduce the highlight slider all the way down. It evens the tones for a more pastel look.
If not sure how to open again as raw. Go to file/open as. Click on file and in the box underneath open as raw.

Well executed,
please post more!!!

Have fun
ed
ed davis

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:23 am

PietFrancke wrote:I am amazed at the different emotional quality these two images produce. I like the woodcut for the detail, but I love the pastel for the soul.

Thanks Piet !!! I like your description (detail & soul) between the two. I appreciate your comments as it gives more to ponder on with future images.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:43 am

pop511 wrote:Love these pictures and each on their own stand up well.
Where and when did the picture originate? It's like a candid time capsule
Nitpicks;
On the second picture you can see elements of effects of your filter around the man's hat, also, especially in the bush between the man and lady. There is a slight halo.
Of course I do not know what the original picture looked like.

If you can. Take the second picture back into camera raw and reduce the highlight slider all the way down. It evens the tones for a more pastel look.
If not sure how to open again as raw. Go to file/open as. Click on file and in the box underneath open as raw.

Well executed,
please post more!!!

Have fun
ed

Thanks Ed !!! I appreciate your comments and glad they are appealing to you. The image originated while in Colonial Williamsburg, Va September 2014. I was aware of the slight halo, but decided to leave it as is. I do agree and will try your suggestion. Since you mentioned the original, I decided to post it slightly cropped.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8364 color w.jpg
original

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:06 am

Dave;
Your decision to put up both pictures in the one post is correct as you wanted feedback on both. Why anyone would want you to post separately has got me.
Kind Regards to all;
ed
ed davis

pop511
Mentoris Centurion
Mentoris Centurion

Postby pop511 » Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:09 am

Taking that bike out puts everyone back into the nineteenth century.. :)
ed davis

Return to “People Critique”