"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueTete a Tete

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Tete a Tete

Postby Bob Yankle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:06 pm

LatIn Quarter - Paris. Wonderful streets, wonderful people.
Attachments
TeteATete_LatinQuarter_fotoblur.jpg

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Re: Tete a Tete

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:31 pm

Boy! That's GREAT! I suspect I may overuse the term "painterly," but when I see something that evokes a late 19th century Post-Impressionist street scene (and many were made in Paris), what else shall I call it? You have also applied a texture that makes it look almost pointillistic, putting me in mind of Georges Seurat and his massive masterwork, A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte (1884-86). (I've seen the original in the Chicago museum.)

There is SO MUCH happening here! The couple in the foreground appear to have just arrived, he from the airport, and the waiter has not yet appeared but they are getting comfortable and chatting amiably. She just now dropped her purse. There's a soft breeze blowing her loose hair in a charming way. Entering the frame from left is a bicycle commuter. The table to their right rear holds a foursome at a late business lunch. One man listens to a woman (back to camera, her hair blowing too, the wind is coming from right). The other man at the table is busy on his cell phone. I conclude it's between busy times because there is a line of empty tables. This is confirmed by a clock down the street that says it's about 4:10 p.m.

I often assert that "cameras don't matter," but in this case that fantastic depth-of-field that make the shot so detailed and "painterly" is due to a 1/1.8 sensor in your Panasonic DMC-FZ50. There's a slight telephoto compression due to the lens being zoomed to aprx. 80mm equivalent, but if you had made this at f/5.6 with a true 80mm on a full-frame you'd have nowhere near that DOF, and I believe it would diminish the picture. So in this case, the camera did matter! (And who sez tiny sensors can't make great pitchers?! :x )
(Incidentally, if this ain't "street" I'd like to know what is? :D )
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Bob Yankle
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Bob Yankle » Sat Oct 21, 2017 2:57 pm

Thank you, Chuck. I think what struck me most was the leading line coming straight down from the framed buildings in the background, down the street with all the people, across some empty tables and straight through the space between the main protagonists. I wish I could say I had seen all that when I composed the shot when in reality I was concentrating on the couple in the foreground and only discovered those other elements later. I believe it's called serendipity.

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:16 pm

You mean sérendipité, Monsieur. :D (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 21, 2017 5:00 pm

While it may have been serendipity, there is no denying how strong that leading line is to the couple. I see it starting with the bright area of the far building, traveling down the row of cars, transitioning to the row of tables to be stopped by the subject's hands and, BAM! You're there.

Really great shot.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Sun Oct 22, 2017 4:02 am

All I can say is one well taken and well presented image...Chuck's gone way over my head and I've no comment for improvement Bob....wish I had the knowledge for this kind of thing.

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Wed Oct 25, 2017 1:18 am

I think you've found a winner, but more importantly a style all your own! Beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”