"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Class Act'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Class Act'

Postby davechinn » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:54 pm

I just recently went to Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky. A first for me and will happily return. I was amazed at how most folks dressed for this event and while many smoking big cigars. This gentleman was just one of the many I witnessed and I DO consider him a 'Class Act'
Comments and/or any suggestions are welcomed.
Dave
Attachments
Class Act DEC_4088w.jpg
'Class Act'

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Class Act'

Postby Charles Haacker » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:35 am

I can't find a single thing to criticize! I think it's a terrific "street portrait," and I do classify it as "street" (a racetrack is a kindofa sortofa street, right?). :| (OK)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:47 am

I like the image Mr. Chinn...Great subject, perspective, and composition. The processing feels clean and spot on for me. It seems your "Class Act" is soft and that maybe your focus point was behind him.....I'm not sure

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:59 pm

Charisma, style, confidence - I'd want this man to be my stock broker if I had any money :D

Love the sleek processing and your light. Inspiring work, Dave!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:30 pm

I really like this Dave but I'm wondering if his hand holding the rail needs to be less in shadow, it seems to fizzle out a bit. I think it is an important element in that it leads up to the guy and it gives him a look of solidity.
Graham

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:09 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:I can't find a single thing to criticize! I think it's a terrific "street portrait," and I do classify it as "street" (a racetrack is a kindofa sortofa street, right?). :| (OK)

Thank you Chuck !!! I have to agree, even though no street is shown and not anywhere near, I too would consider this to be street in some form as well. I appreciate your comments and glad of your approval.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:22 pm

Psjunkie wrote:I like the image Mr. Chinn...Great subject, perspective, and composition. The processing feels clean and spot on for me. It seems your "Class Act" is soft and that maybe your focus point was behind him.....I'm not sure

Frank, he was dressed so well I couldn't avoid getting a shot of him. I may have misses the focal point slightly, but I feel its not much of a concern to me. Actually some of it may be a combination of the processing and the sunlight on his face. Not really sure. Thanks for your comments and bringing the soft focus to my attention.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:26 pm

LindaShorey wrote:Charisma, style, confidence - I'd want this man to be my stock broker if I had any money :D

Love the sleek processing and your light. Inspiring work, Dave!

Thank you Linda !!! I wish I had taken a few more, but didn't. Although, I do have one where he is in the background of another photo I took of someone else. He was, to my eyes, an attention getter with a positive appeal. I appreciate your comments.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:29 pm

It's a nice street photo and I think you were right to keep him "smooth" instead of going grungy. He is a "smooth" looking guy! I do think the photo would work better with his shadowed arm brightened some even if it requires some finagling about with noise removal and contrast adjustment to do that. My eye is pulling to the dark spot.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:37 pm

Graham Smith wrote:I really like this Dave but I'm wondering if his hand holding the rail needs to be less in shadow, it seems to fizzle out a bit. I think it is an important element in that it leads up to the guy and it gives him a look of solidity.

Thank you Graham !!! You know, I'll have to agree with you on the hand. Actually, both hands. I wanted his cigar to be more exposed and somehow, either I forgot or just overlooked it prior to posting. I appreciate your suggestion and have since taken your advise to expose more of both hands along with some added smoke for his cigar. I even did a little more selective sharpening around the face area because Frank's comment is probably spot on as well. I just hope I haven't gone overboard and went too far.
Dave
Attachments
Class Act DEC_4088 w.jpg
'Class Act' (Revised)

Return to “People Critique”