"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Class Act'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'Class Act'

Postby Psjunkie » Thu Oct 19, 2017 3:42 pm

Really like what you've done here Mr. Chinn...kinda funny though, what caught my eye for being oof was his necklace and handkerchief....well done.

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Postby davechinn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:36 am

minniev wrote:It's a nice street photo and I think you were right to keep him "smooth" instead of going grungy. He is a "smooth" looking guy! I do think the photo would work better with his shadowed arm brightened some even if it requires some finagling about with noise removal and contrast adjustment to do that. My eye is pulling to the dark spot.

Thanks Minnie, I agree and have made some corrections with the shadowed arms. Grungy for this fellow would have no justice at all. I was tempted to leave this one in color but as you can see, it didn't win over the B&W. I appreciate your suggestions. You and I must have been typing at the same time within the thread as I didn't see your comments until later.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:48 am

Psjunkie wrote:Really like what you've done here Mr. Chinn...kinda funny though, what caught my eye for being oof was his necklace and handkerchief....well done.

Thanks for the return visit Frank. I knew his necklace was out of focus, but it was of no concern to me as I was more focused on the face area, which would sorta explain the neck area being slightly oof, both on a slightly different focal plain with the chosen aperture.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:22 am

davechinn wrote:I just recently went to Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky. A first for me and will happily return. I was amazed at how most folks dressed for this event and while many smoking big cigars. This gentleman was just one of the many I witnessed and I DO consider him a 'Class Act'
Comments and/or any suggestions are welcomed.
Dave

Dave, I like the right hand side of the photo but find the left distracting; the bar he is holding onto leads my eye to the item -- not sure what it is -- with what looks like a drape and a hat in the middle distance and the car in the far distance. I spent too much time trying to puzzle what they were and they are not important parts of the photo for me. And the plastic cup of beer doesn't say "class" to me; a beer, yes, but not in plastic. I agree with Graham about lifting his right hand from the shadows; I would also call more attention to his cigar but don't know how to do that. Cool fellow; cool shot. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 1:00 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:I just recently went to Keeneland Racecourse in Lexington, Ky. A first for me and will happily return. I was amazed at how most folks dressed for this event and while many smoking big cigars. This gentleman was just one of the many I witnessed and I DO consider him a 'Class Act'
Comments and/or any suggestions are welcomed.
Dave

Dave, I like the right hand side of the photo but find the left distracting; the bar he is holding onto leads my eye to the item -- not sure what it is -- with what looks like a drape and a hat in the middle distance and the car in the far distance. I spent too much time trying to puzzle what they were and they are not important parts of the photo for me. And the plastic cup of beer doesn't say "class" to me; a beer, yes, but not in plastic. I agree with Graham about lifting his right hand from the shadows; I would also call more attention to his cigar but don't know how to do that. Cool fellow; cool shot. Matt

Matt, as you know there will be distractions at every angle when shooting street photography. You're looking past the main subject and seeing distractions that have no bearing on the subject, even the cars, which are at least half a mile away. You are correct, you are spending too much time trying to figure out a puzzle that simply should be ignored in this image. I will also agree that a plastic cup is not considered class and was never intended to be. The 'Class Act' is the gentleman himself. His attire, body language along with his composure, says class, IMO. If you haven't seen the second version within this thread, which I can only assume you have, take another look. I have made the corrected suggestions that Graham mentioned and I don't want to take it any further for fear of making it worse. My theory is if it ain't broken, don't fix it. Thanks for commenting, much appreciated.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:25 pm

Dave, The new edits make it for me. Now, with the lightening of the right hand, the rail leads my eye to his hand and then up his arm. The face is more composed and at ease now, and the light on the cigar ash and the smoke as well as the lines on the pocket handkerchief, shirt and jacket all leading down to the button and then to his finger, cigar and watch are very visually pleasing. The background, for me, is now less distracting and more of a "supporting cast" than before. I especially like the the framing between the two pillars and the sharp dark shadow under his chin and the peeping Adam's Apple. Very nicely done. Thanks. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Sat Oct 21, 2017 8:37 pm

The adjustment that Graham suggested reminded me of the "small change" originally mentioned by Duck regarding the direction my bird is facing (on pole, with moonset). So neat how seemingly minor details and/or cropping can make such a difference. Matt describes (just above my comments here) the impact from the second posting beautifully.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:26 am

While this may be a little off topic I wonder if you can help me with something that relates to your image?

There are times I see something that could be a good image, but due to some circumstances like the time of day, there may be something wrong with it, like a shadow over his hands in this case. So what do you do? Do you take the image, hope for the best, crop out the shadowed area, or with today's technology try to save it by opening up the area? This may be a subjective question that is based on the situation at hand, but with your background, I thought I'd ask. S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”