"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueHelping Hands

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Helping Hands

Postby Graham Smith » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:26 pm

Taken while travelling with a Doctor and a group of nurses delivering health care to remote tribal villages in West Bengal.
_DSC1301-2.jpg
Graham

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Re: Helping Hands

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 2:52 am

Stunning capture, Graham. Rich colors and textures Posture is so appealing. Faces full of care. Noted the bare hands of the woman in white: in the US, they would be blue gloves, somehow an insult, although a wise precaution in many cases. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:26 pm

The arrangement of the people and the attention to the child is superb.

This is a great lesson in directing the viewer's eye into the story. Here we șee the main subject, the child in distress, has his face towards the camera. The mother's attention is towards the child which causes us to also look to the child. All the other people around the scene are also looking into the frame towards the mother and child., reinforcing that visual pull inward.

Furthermore, the brightest part of the image, the standing woman in white who would otherwise dominate the scene, is forcing our eye away from her and towards the child with leading lines, her arms. The bricks in the background also act as lasting lines from the two women at the edge in to the child. Even the blue cloth points to the child.

Simply perfect. Textbook composition. Marvelous at every level. Even the color palette works in harmony.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 4:56 pm

Duck wrote:The arrangement of the people and the attention to the child is superb.

This is a great lesson in directing the viewer's eye into the story. Here we șee the main subject, the child in distress, has his face towards the camera. The mother's attention is towards the child which causes us to also look to the child. All the other people around the scene are also looking into the frame towards the mother and child., reinforcing that visual pull inward.

Furthermore, the brightest part of the image, the standing woman in white who would otherwise dominate the scene, is forcing our eye away from her and towards the child with leading lines, her arms. The bricks in the background also act as lasting lines from the two women at the edge in to the child. Even the blue cloth points to the child.

Simply perfect. Textbook composition. Marvelous at every level. Even the color palette works in harmony.

And, imagine, Graham saw all this in a flash. No gimmicks, lengthy set up, posing and moving people and stuff. Genius, pure and simple. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:07 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:And, imagine, Graham saw all this in a flash. No gimmicks, lengthy set up, posing and moving people and stuff. Genius, pure and simple. Matt

The key word in your statement Matt, is simple. When you want pictures of people that are natural and relaxed keep it simple. It is for you to get the image, not them to provide it for you. Stand back and observe, anticipate the "decisive moment", step forward and make the shot and step out again. Don't have loads of equipment hanging around you neck. All you need is a camera and your eye, never intrude, be deferential. Learn how to take pictures without having to fiddle with settings, that's a sure fire way of drawing attention to yourself and spoiling the moment.

Graham
Graham

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:18 pm

thank you, Graham. Polite photography. I like that very much, will keep it in mind and try to practice it. Matt
Matt Quinn

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:26 pm

Duck, thank you for your kind comments on my picture. As you know, with this type of image, you have very little time to consider composition, a step one way or the other and changing the camera angle is about as much thought as you can put into it, deliberate too long and it is gone. It's a real delight when you find that it has all gelled and that you have the image you envisioned when you tripped the shutter.

Graham
Graham

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Sat Oct 14, 2017 8:45 pm

Graham Smith wrote:... As you know, with this type of image, you have very little time to consider composition, a step one way or the other and changing the camera angle is about as much thought as you can put into it, deliberate too long and it is gone...

It always takes longer to explain the thought process than to experience it. Intuition is key so long as all the other elements (camera and lighting knowledge) are taken care of as you pointed out. :thumbup:
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:04 am

Graham Smith wrote:The key word in your statement Matt, is simple. When you want pictures of people that are natural and relaxed keep it simple. It is for you to get the image, not them to provide it for you. Stand back and observe, anticipate the "decisive moment", step forward and make the shot and step out again. Don't have loads of equipment hanging around you neck. All you need is a camera and your eye, never intrude, be deferential. Learn how to take pictures without having to fiddle with settings, that's a sure fire way of drawing attention to yourself and spoiling the moment.

Graham

I really like this! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”