"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiquePearl River Clean Sweep - documentary photo

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Pearl River Clean Sweep - documentary photo

Postby minniev » Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:01 pm

I don't do a lot of plain documentary photos besides family stuff, but have recently been doing some shots of the environmental project I've got involved with as a result of my dam birds. I've become part of an interesting collaboration between Keep America Beautiful and the Pearl River Water Supply District which oversees the watershed of the river, for the purpose of addressing the litter that's endangering my birds and other wildlife. One of our "offspring" has been a massive cleanup of the entire length of the River, from beneath an ancient Indian mound on the Choctaw reservation all the way to the Gulf of Mexico. We had over 1000 volunteers last weekend and pulled over 18 TONS of trash out of the watershed on foot, in canoes, kayaks, fishing boats, rowboats and airboats. I made this shot as we got started last Saturday as a documentary image but it will become part of the support material for the dam bird portfolio when I file my report on the grant, so please offer suggestions about editing. I can't reshoot but I do have a few different views. I chose this one because it showed different kinds of approaches to the cleanup, the area beneath the dam, and some of the group. If you look at the original, you can spot a group of dam birds down at the bend watching us.

Here's the link to the report http://www.pearlriverkeeper.com/results.html from the weekend. The people who spearheaded the cleanup are the biggest supporters for my bird project, hosted the opening event, and have made the birds their poster-children.
dam (1 of 1).jpg
(Most of the images in the report are unfortunately not mine, as I ended up in the hospital before the end of the first day, and my pictures weren't available till much later in the week.)
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: Pearl River Clean Sweep - documentary photo

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:34 pm

You did well to include so many activities. Only by viewing the link can one realize the incredibly huge undertaking. My gosh, just advertising and organizing it!! How fantastic there are so many photos showing the tonnage, the map and so forth - a very powerful article that I hope receives nationwide attention and interest.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus

Postby minniev » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:43 pm

LindaShorey wrote:You did well to include so many activities. Only by viewing the link can one realize the incredibly huge undertaking. My gosh, just advertising and organizing it!! How fantastic there are so many photos showing the tonnage, the map and so forth - a very powerful article that I hope receives nationwide attention and interest.

Thanks, Linda . Abby did very well with the publicity. It was quite a weekend, and I hated to miss so much of it, but I got to see a lot of the sites on the upper Pearl, talk to all the volunteers, who were from every age group, ethnicity, and walk of life. Even better than the cleanup was the awareness-raising. We got good TV and newspaper coverage too. I'm so glad my birds got connected to something like this, it is exactly what I hoped for but didn't know how to make happen until I met a bunch of likeminded folks.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:53 am

Wow, a thousand plus volunteers and over 18 tons of trash, amazing and that's only one river in a vast country. Imagine if we all treated the earth like our home.

I love that your project has grown and is changing the way people live. Photography is one thing, but you're changing lives with your 'little' project!

The photo is great and should work well as a documentary work in the scope of the project. My only suggestion is to level the horizon. S-
- and I have to ask, what's up with the pink noodle picture about mid-way through?
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”