"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Laidback Lenny'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Laidback Lenny'

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:42 pm

While in Deadwood, South Dakota I had many opportunities to capture various interesting subjects. This just happens to be one and still yet can't figure out why one individual gets my attention over the other.
Dave
Attachments
Laidback Lenny 2nd version w DEC_3293 B&W.jpg
'Laidback Lenny'

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: 'Laidback Lenny'

Postby Psjunkie » Fri Sep 08, 2017 2:49 pm

Not sure what to say Mr. Chinn, other than you've outdone yourself with this one.....if I were to give any guidance it would be to tone down the brightness of the subject's right side hair just a bit...not really an issue until I turned my monitor brightness all the way up if that helps.....

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Wed Sep 13, 2017 3:47 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Not sure what to say Mr. Chinn, other than you've outdone yourself with this one.....if I were to give any guidance it would be to tone down the brightness of the subject's right side hair just a bit...not really an issue until I turned my monitor brightness all the way up if that helps.....

Thanks Frank !!! Your guidance to tone down his hair was a border issue with me. While processing it was toned down, but as a last minute decision I change my mind. I'm still on the fence, but do understand.
Dave

LindaShorey
Mentoris Tertius
Mentoris Tertius
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby LindaShorey » Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:04 pm

A fascinating character study. Love your attention to detail, such as choosing to emphasize the shiny bright ring. "...can't figure out why one individual gets my attention over the other...." Don't think about it, Dave! Continue to go with your instincts and emotion; they serve you very, very well.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:01 pm

LindaShorey wrote:A fascinating character study. Love your attention to detail, such as choosing to emphasize the shiny bright ring. "...can't figure out why one individual gets my attention over the other...." Don't think about it, Dave! Continue to go with your instincts and emotion; they serve you very, very well.

Thank you Linda !!! So many characters on the streets and at times I'm particular to choose which one to photograph. I haven't always been that way, but I have developed a more personal appeal to my eye, if that makes sense. Which you are correct, I don't think about it much in depth, but I still often wonder. I appreciate the comments of encouragement. Also, your presence haven't gone unnoticed, glad to see you back.
Dave

minniev
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby minniev » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:02 pm

Another excellent "character" portrait, Dave. Perfectly composed, and well processed in your typical style.

I always seem to want a bit more from the eyes of your "dark-side characters" but I understand that's an artist's choice and can appreciate it just as it is. Nice one.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:09 pm

minniev wrote:Another excellent "character" portrait, Dave. Perfectly composed, and well processed in your typical style.

I always seem to want a bit more from the eyes of your "dark-side characters" but I understand that's an artist's choice and can appreciate it just as it is. Nice one.

Thank you Minnie !!! I'll have to agree with you about the eye issue. Usually, when my subject is wearing a hat, I try not to go overboard by pulling the forehead out of the shadow created by the hat. However, it seems to be difficult to find a proper balance in order to get more exposure to the eyes. Something I need to concentrate more on. Thanks for pointing it out.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:28 pm

davechinn wrote:While in Deadwood, South Dakota I had many opportunities to capture various interesting subjects. This just happens to be one and still yet can't figure out why one individual gets my attention over the other.
Dave

What if the devil were one of us?

If I may ask, if the light is from image right, how do you pinpoint-light his eyes? S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:20 pm

St3v3M wrote:
davechinn wrote:While in Deadwood, South Dakota I had many opportunities to capture various interesting subjects. This just happens to be one and still yet can't figure out why one individual gets my attention over the other.
Dave

What if the devil were one of us?

If I may ask, if the light is from image right, how do you pinpoint-light his eyes? S-

Ha, ha, ha !!! If one of you guys were the devil, would you tell me? If yes, I probably would still fire away, and who knows, maybe I already have. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question Steve. Assuming the image is properly exposed, I brighten and sharpen the eyes as needed. If there happens to be no catch light in the eyes, I will place some there, because to me (and others as well) without catch lights the subject has a lifeless look. If one side of the face is more exposed to light than the other then obviously the more exposed side will receive less work and balance out the other side to some degree, but not equal to each other. Lighting is something I have not mastered and have always struggled with. I may never master it, but at most, my goal is to always improve. Hope that helps and answers your question.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby St3v3M » Mon Oct 02, 2017 11:30 pm

davechinn wrote:Ha, ha, ha !!! If one of you guys were the devil, would you tell me? If yes, I probably would still fire away, and who knows, maybe I already have. Thanks for the laugh.

I'm not totally sure I understand your question Steve. Assuming the image is properly exposed, I brighten and sharpen the eyes as needed. If there happens to be no catch light in the eyes, I will place some there, because to me (and others as well) without catch lights the subject has a lifeless look. If one side of the face is more exposed to light than the other then obviously the more exposed side will receive less work and balance out the other side to some degree, but not equal to each other. Lighting is something I have not mastered and have always struggled with. I may never master it, but at most, my goal is to always improve. Hope that helps and answers your question.
Dave

I've often wondered If I Were Crazy Would I Know? Maybe it's the onset of some Freudian thing? But then again, maybe I think way too much! laf

And thank you for asking, and telling. I've often wondered about catchlights and if they could be added manually. I guess anything is possible!

Thank you again and thank you for the amazing image! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”