"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Typical'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Typical'

Postby davechinn » Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:22 pm

A typical scene in Sturgis witnessed by many.
Attachments
Typical DEC_3193w.jpg
'Typical'

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Re: 'Typical'

Postby Duck » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:07 pm

Why does the thought, "redneck last supper," come to mind? :-D
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Postby Charles Haacker » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:36 pm

Heh heh heh... I like the picture Dave, great shot, but it also reminds me that I keep the dates of the Sturgis rally permanently on my calendar in case we are (were) traveling in the west. I hadn't ridden for years and while vaguely aware of Sturgis I had never been.

ImageThe Overflow Lot (Spearfish during Sturgis) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

In mid-August 2010 we were heading home to Wisconsin, eastbound on I-90 planning to stop in the KOA in Spearfish, SD. Sure, we'd noticed there were what seemed an unusual number of hogs on the highway in both directions but neither of us thought much of it. We didn't have a reservation. Why would we need one?

Well, Sturgis. :lol: I seem to recall now we actually tried to get to the Sturgis KOA (we were that ignorant). I think we doubled back to Spearfish near dusk somewhat desperate for a site and the lovely folks there found a spot for us in their overflow lot (the main camp was packed, but so was the overflow). The hike to the facilities was looooong. I actually hung lanterns on Rose (the Tiny Tent Trailer) so we could find our way back.

Daphne was howling with laughter when she got back. She could hardly breathe. She said the ladies' room was jammed to the gills but they were very kind to an old lady and she had no problems. What had her so amused was the sign over the mirrors in the washroom. She never forgot it:

LADIES! IT IS A RALLY! NOT A PROM! :rofl:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:26 pm

You picked a good name for this one, Dave. It tells a story, that's for sure, and we don't have to ask where you took it. This bunch is straight out of Central Casting for the motorcycle movie. The detail is great, the processing just grungy enough without going too far, plenty of character(s). Nicely caught, nicely done.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:19 pm

Duck wrote:Why does the thought, "redneck last supper," come to mind? :-D

It's always good to get a chuckle !!! I didn't give it any thought, but now that you have mentioned it, "redneck last supper" is something I see as well. Thanks for the chuckle !!!
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:27 pm

Charles Haacker wrote:Heh heh heh... I like the picture Dave, great shot, but it also reminds me that I keep the dates of the Sturgis rally permanently on my calendar in case we are (were) traveling in the west. I hadn't ridden for years and while vaguely aware of Sturgis I had never been.

ImageThe Overflow Lot (Spearfish during Sturgis) by Charles Haacker, on Flickr

In mid-August 2010 we were heading home to Wisconsin, eastbound on I-90 planning to stop in the KOA in Spearfish, SD. Sure, we'd noticed there were what seemed an unusual number of hogs on the highway in both directions but neither of us thought much of it. We didn't have a reservation. Why would we need one?

Well, Sturgis. :lol: I seem to recall now we actually tried to get to the Sturgis KOA (we were that ignorant). I think we doubled back to Spearfish near dusk somewhat desperate for a site and the lovely folks there found a spot for us in their overflow lot (the main camp was packed, but so was the overflow). The hike to the facilities was looooong. I actually hung lanterns on Rose (the Tiny Tent Trailer) so we could find our way back.

Daphne was howling with laughter when she got back. She could hardly breathe. She said the ladies' room was jammed to the gills but they were very kind to an old lady and she had no problems. What had her so amused was the sign over the mirrors in the washroom. She never forgot it:

LADIES! IT IS A RALLY! NOT A PROM! :rofl:

Thank you Chuck !!! Glad this brought back some memories for you. I enjoyed reading and visiting your flickr site. Your journey sounded to be so much fun and I'm sure 'Rose' was a blast. I would make a return trip, but not during 'Rally' season. Prices were higher during that time and availability was slim without a reservation. Although, we had reservations, I kinda felt we were on too much of a scheduled time frame, which seemed to limit our free time, if that makes sense. Spearfish Canyon Scenic Byway was a beautiful drive as well. I just love the whole area, so much to see.
Dave

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Fri Dec 08, 2017 3:54 pm

minniev wrote:You picked a good name for this one, Dave. It tells a story, that's for sure, and we don't have to ask where you took it. This bunch is straight out of Central Casting for the motorcycle movie. The detail is great, the processing just grungy enough without going too far, plenty of character(s). Nicely caught, nicely done.

I think what I like most out of this image is the expression on the lady's face with sunglasses to the far left behind the counter. Duck's title would have been another direction for a title, if I had thought of it, I may have used it. I appreciate your thoughts and feedback on this image.
Dave

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:55 am

davechinn wrote:A typical scene in Sturgis witnessed by many.

Looks like you have to earn your way into this scene. I love every bit of it! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Return to “People Critique”