"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People CritiqueIf Looks Could Kill

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

If Looks Could Kill

Postby Graham Smith » Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:57 pm

She seems to be saying "c'mon, make up your minds"

Camden Lock Market, London.
L1001174.jpg
Graham

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Re: If Looks Could Kill

Postby LindaShorey » Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:33 pm

For once I looked at the pic before reading an OP's words, and I got the same impression as you, Graham. But what provides the impact IMO is that the choices all look the same, and there are so many :) Love this photo! Strong storytelling visual, no intro words are needed.

Another aspect that makes this a strong image IMO is that there are three customers, all crowding the frame (and the clerk) and that they are out of focus, so we're directed even more forcefully to the employee's expression.
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby minniev » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:06 pm

And what a look! If that's all candy back there behind her, we must assume she got hold to a sourball. Great capture of a character who looks like she escaped from a Norman Rockwell painting. I really like the placement of the "look" in the frame.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Graham Smith
Mentoris Peritus
Mentoris Peritus

Postby Graham Smith » Sat Dec 09, 2017 1:58 pm

LindaShorey wrote:For once I looked at the pic before reading an OP's words, and I got the same impression as you, Graham. But what provides the impact IMO is that the choices all look the same, and there are so many :) Love this photo! Strong storytelling visual, no intro words are needed.

Another aspect that makes this a strong image IMO is that there are three customers, all crowding the frame (and the clerk) and that they are out of focus, so we're directed even more forcefully to the employee's expression.

Her pursed lips and direct stare say it all Linda. Her expression is the story. I doubt it would have worked anywhere near as well if she had been smiling. The lady was selling hair accessories, grips, scrunchies and those elastic things that go around pony tails etc.

I used a shallow DOF to isolate the main subject because both the background and foreground were so busy.

I tried to find a position hide the square card but when she pursed her lips I had to capture the moment and live with the card. Some would call it a distraction but it's only a distraction if you let it be one ;)
Graham

St3v3M
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes

Postby St3v3M » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:12 am

I love everything about this, the woman, the composition, the processing, everything. This is a work of art and it's beautiful! S-
"Take photographs, leave footprints, steal hearts"

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:47 pm

I never saw the square card until mentioned. My eyes went straight to the shopgirl and stayed there, and indeed her expression says it all. I worked too many ghastly years in retail (gaaaaaaaaah) myself not to know that expression intimately. :wall:
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

LindaShorey
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby LindaShorey » Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Graham Smith wrote:...I tried to find a position hide the square card but when she pursed her lips I had to capture the moment and live with the card. Some would call it a distraction but it's only a distraction if you let it be one ;)
I didn't see any "square card" - I guess to the extent I noticed it at all, I was thinking it was part of a laptop/cash register :)

Thanks much, Graham!
"What's important in a photograph and what isn't." http://photographylife.com/whats-import ... -what-isnt

Return to “People Critique”