"Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can." —Arthur Ashe

People Critique'Colonial Williamsburg'

Images containing people; portraits, family, lifestyle, street, photojournalism, sports, weddings
davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

'Colonial Williamsburg'

Postby davechinn » Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I have processed this image two different ways. The sepia tone I did 3 years ago and the other just this week. The sepia, I applied a textured layer for a grunge type appeal, while the other is a much more cleaner version. I would like to know which is more appealing to you, if either.
Dave
Attachments
DEC_8364 sepia w.jpg
'ThreeSome' (sepia)
ThreeSome DEC_8364w.jpg
'ThreeSome'

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Re: 'Colonial Williamsburg'

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:43 am

davechinn wrote:I have processed this image two different ways. The sepia tone I did 3 years ago and the other just this week. The sepia, I applied a textured layer for a grunge type appeal, while the other is a much more cleaner version. I would like to know which is more appealing to you, if either.
Dave

Dave, I prefer the second, recent version. It preserves, for me, more of the romanticism of Williamsburg and the attempt to create the past, even though the sepia might be closer to "reality?" The sepia is also to flat for me; maybe it's the grunge, not the tone. Now that I mention it, I believe it is the grunge, not the sepia. Looks like a woodcut with dull knives. A lovely capture; wish I had done it. Love the posture on the lady in the middle. Great story going on. Poor guy. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

Charles Haacker
Mentoris Secundus
Mentoris Secundus

Postby Charles Haacker » Sat Nov 18, 2017 1:51 am

I like both very much, but I favor the first because I think it does look like a period woodcut. I like the "open fourth" position of the young man because it is classically period (men never stand that way any more but they should). They're both great. Flip a coin. :)
Friends call me Chuck. :photo: This link takes you to my Flickr albums. Please click on any album to scroll through it.
(I prefer to present pictures in albums because I can put them in specific order.)

All the great photographers use cameras! No, really. :|

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:04 am

Charles Haacker wrote:I like both very much, but I favor the first because I think it does look like a period woodcut. I like the "open fourth" position of the young man because it is classically period (men never stand that way any more but they should). They're both great. Flip a coin. :)

Open fourth? I thought he was about to take a step in front of the ladies and was checking so as not to bump them. Can't take the Brooklyn out of the boy. No way we would have used that posture standing on the corner. Man o man. Glad it's gone. I do very much like the photo. Matt
Matt Quinn

"One should really use the camera as though tomorrow you'd be stricken blind." Dorothea Lange

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 2:09 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:
davechinn wrote:I have processed this image two different ways. The sepia tone I did 3 years ago and the other just this week. The sepia, I applied a textured layer for a grunge type appeal, while the other is a much more cleaner version. I would like to know which is more appealing to you, if either.
Dave

Dave, I prefer the second, recent version. It preserves, for me, more of the romanticism of Williamsburg and the attempt to create the past, even though the sepia might be closer to "reality?" The sepia is also to flat for me; maybe it's the grunge, not the tone. Now that I mention it, I believe it is the grunge, not the sepia. Looks like a woodcut with dull knives. A lovely capture; wish I had done it. Love the posture on the lady in the middle. Great story going on. Poor guy. Matt

Thanks Matt, I understand your comments, but most post processing is a personal preference, and that's where I run into an issue. I shouldn't do this to myself, but I do and did, processed the same image in two different styles, which creates a mind boggling catastrophe. I appreciate you commenting.
Dave

Matt Quinn
Mentoris Quartus
Mentoris Quartus

Postby Matt Quinn » Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:11 pm

Dave, I find it instructive to see how others pp images, so I enjoyed your two. Helps me deal with my own . Matt
Matt Quinn

Psjunkie
Mentoris Sextus
Mentoris Sextus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:04 pm

I like both images for different reasons Mr. Chinn. The first seems almost a sketch, I might mask away the texture from their faces....the second I would like better without the white bleeding so much from the closet woman...just personal preference.

minniev
Mentoris Primus
Mentoris Primus
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby minniev » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:52 am

I like them both, Dave, but that second one has such a unique appeal with that pastel processing and the intense detail, which is a huge contradiction that somehow works. I find myself staring, endlessly, at a those exquisite details.
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:15 pm

davechinn wrote:... most post processing is a personal preference, and that's where I run into an issue. I shouldn't do this to myself, but I do and did, processed the same image in two different styles, which creates a mind boggling catastrophe.

There is nothing wrong with the style of processing of either image. They are just presented in two different ways. It just boils down to what you're trying to convey through the processing. Each of these two conveys a different feel and neither one is wrong. Had you also included a more normal look and presented one in color and one in black and white they, too, would have been good. That's the beauty of digital processing, you do have all these options.

In the end the decision on what to present should be guided by what the intent of the image is. Are you looking to invoke an old timey, woodcut illustration feel or a softer romanticized look? Or are you just experimenting with possibilities? If it's the latter then neither one of these are better than the other as they are apples to oranges in processing. So in truth, your original question can be seen as being an unfair one. Some people like oranges, some like apples better.

In truth, you will probably get more from these two images if you separate then into their own threads and have them critiqued on their own merits.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
Image ImageImageImageImageImage

davechinn
Mentoris Quintus
Mentoris Quintus

Postby davechinn » Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:20 pm

Matt Quinn wrote:Dave, I find it instructive to see how others pp images, so I enjoyed your two. Helps me deal with my own . Matt

Thanks again, Matt. I would like to think we all learn something from others here to improve our own skills from beginning to end.
Dave

Return to “People Critique”