Critic's CornerIn the fountain NYC

Street and journalistic photography embrace many disciplines. Post candid shots, street portraits, newsworthy editorials or just the raw nature of the human experience
- Images are subject to constructive comment, discussion and critique. If you do not want critique post in the Member's Showcase.
Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

In the fountain NYC

Postby Duck » Mon Jun 20, 2016 6:00 am

Washington Square park is one of NYC's more famous parks. The iconic archway framing a view of the Empire State Building has been seen in many movies.
What is it about the constant need to be attached to cellular devices?
I was hoping they'd give me a more intimate moment...
..oh, well. I take what I'm given.
"If you didn't learn something new today, you wasted a day."
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Re: In the fountain NYC

Postby Onslow » Tue Jun 21, 2016 6:55 am

Nice walkabout images there Duck. :) Must admit that I wouldn't mind visiting NY at some stage....

Psjunkie
Mentoris Validus
Mentoris Validus
Social Media Opt-In: No
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Postby Psjunkie » Wed Jun 22, 2016 5:42 am

Well duck I’ll try since you did post in critique.

The shot of lovers seems well done…a touch of some kind of contrast could help as it just feels somewhat flat.

Your cell shot also could use a touch of contrast and you might consider cropping from the left in to almost the guy in the background. Nicely done shot.

The Empire shot sky is doing you no favors and I’m not sure what to say about a level look, maybe a perspective change is in order…..everything seem out of kilter. I believe some work with the levels sliders could crispen up the look a bit.
Feel free to do as you wish with any of my photos. If you are able to receive compensation for their use, we are then (me 51% you 49%) partners. Then do the honorable thing and contact me so I can send my cut to the charity of my choice.

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:45 pm

Psjunkie wrote:Well duck I’ll try since you did post in critique...

Here is a consistent problem I seem to keep getting into and I'm not sure it's me, Lightroom or my hardware. When I process images in Lightroom they look fine in the Develop Module but when I export them they seem to get processed a bit darker. In other words, the exported result seldom matches what I see in the Develop Module. I find myself reworking the image and then re exporting it but it's more like a crap shoot. A few times I've tried compensating only to have it come out looking worse.

Unfortunately in the case of the arch, I pushed the processing more than I normally do and I agree with you. It doesn't do much for me either. As for the two black and whites, I had pushed the contrast up and that's what gets me because in the preview it looked much better.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Onslow
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member
Editing option: Yes, you can edit but ask me first

Postby Onslow » Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:25 pm

Duck wrote:
Psjunkie wrote:Well duck I’ll try since you did post in critique...

Here is a consistent problem I seem to keep getting into and I'm not sure it's me, Lightroom or my hardware. When I process images in Lightroom they look fine in the Develop Module but when I export them they seem to get processed a bit darker. In other words, the exported result seldom matches what I see in the Develop Module. I find myself reworking the image and then re exporting it but it's more like a crap shoot. A few times I've tried compensating only to have it come out looking worse.

Unfortunately in the case of the arch, I pushed the processing more than I normally do and I agree with you. It doesn't do much for me either. As for the two black and whites, I had pushed the contrast up and that's what gets me because in the preview it looked much better.

Thanks for the comments.

Anyone else run into this issue?

Duck, there's a few reasons this can happen.
Are you on a two monitor setup? That has an effect with different calibrations and colour spaces.
Also, in the export dialog, are the images being exported as sRGB?
What is your processing workflow? Purely in LR or do you use ACR as well?
In my early days, I didn't realise that viewing in the processor on a widegamut monitor could be fine BUT viewing the sRGB output on the same monitor would effect my perception. For colour images, the colour shift could be substantial... I can't recall any B+W though that I did...
BTW, I would have mentioned this but I thought this was the showcase section, not the critique section. My bad...

Duck
Key Founding Member
Key Founding Member

Postby Duck » Thu Jun 23, 2016 11:21 pm

Onslow wrote:Duck, there's a few reasons this can happen.
Are you on a two monitor setup? That has an effect with different calibrations and colour spaces.
Also, in the export dialog, are the images being exported as sRGB?
What is your processing workflow? Purely in LR or do you use ACR as well?
In my early days, I didn't realise that viewing in the processor on a widegamut monitor could be fine BUT viewing the sRGB output on the same monitor would effect my perception. For colour images, the colour shift could be substantial... I can't recall any B+W though that I did...

Thanks for the help John. I'm on a single monitor system. I'm glad you mentioned the colorspace export issue. I'll have to check as I really don't know how I set it up originally. I'll also have to recheck my monitor calibration (it's overdue). These were all handled through LR. No ACR or other post processing.

Onslow wrote:BTW, I would have mentioned this but I thought this was the showcase section, not the critique section. My bad...

No problem

Return to “Street & Photojournalism”