Welcome new members. If you have been recently invited to join our forum, welcome.
Please take a few minutes to introduce yourself at The Meeting / Room General Discussions / Introduce yourself
“Learn the rules like a pro, so you can break them like an artist.” ― Pablo Picasso

― Scapes CritiqueManana Island

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus
Social Media Opt-In: Yes
Editing option: Yes, feel free to edit my image

Manana Island

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm

It may take me months to work through the Monhegan photos but here is one that didn't ask me for much editing. Manana is a tiny island just across the Monhegan harbor. It was once a Coast Guard station, and after that was home to a hermit. Now it is home to a flock of goats. I considered trying to remove the wooden walkway left over from the Coast Guard days but haven't yet. Let me know about that, too.
Attachments
cat (1 of 1)-13.jpg
"God gave me photography so that I could pray with my eyes" - Dewitt Jones

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:22 pm

I see no reason for removal of the walkway....very nice image minniev..not sure what you have going on in both upper corners though...

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:58 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:22 pm
I see no reason for removal of the walkway....very nice image minniev..not sure what you have going on in both upper corners though...
YIKES! Me either. All I did was apply the normal raw conversion preset I always use in LR. The two others that are similar don't have that banding. I have no idea what made it do that. The simplest thing is just crop it out. But I will tinker and try to figure it out.
Attachments
cat (1 of 1)-13.jpg

PietFrancke
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus

Post by PietFrancke » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm

love this shot, have mixed feelings about the diagonal walkway - on the one hand it bugs me, on the other hand it is a powerful diagonal that works well to "abstract" the shot into specific shapes and lines. Love that strong yellow.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Tue Oct 15, 2019 7:20 pm

PietFrancke wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:16 pm
love this shot, have mixed feelings about the diagonal walkway - on the one hand it bugs me, on the other hand it is a powerful diagonal that works well to "abstract" the shot into specific shapes and lines. Love that strong yellow.
I have mixed feelings too, which is why I asked. Glad I'm not the only one.

Psjunkie
Mentoris Maximus
Mentoris Maximus
Social Media Opt-In: No

Post by Psjunkie » Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 pm

So after further review I am wondering whether you should straighten the water line and remove the bird.....what are your thoughts? It's a wonderful image..I like the crop actually, I think it improved the image

davechinn
Mentoris Magnus
Mentoris Magnus
Editing option: No, please do not edit my images

Post by davechinn » Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

minniev wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:58 pm
It may take me months to work through the Monhegan photos but here is one that didn't ask me for much editing. Manana is a tiny island just across the Monhegan harbor. It was once a Coast Guard station, and after that was home to a hermit. Now it is home to a flock of goats. I considered trying to remove the wooden walkway left over from the Coast Guard days but haven't yet. Let me know about that, too.

Several months to work through for sure, a winter project will be enforced. I'm sure without the wooden walkway, it would be a very difficult journey to the top. Your choice, but I would leave it as is. Where are the goats??? Sometimes we would see them and sometimes not.
https://www.davechinn.com/
https://www.flickr.com/photos/35722922@N02/albums

Don’t shoot what it looks like. Shoot what it feels like.
David Alan Harvey

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:36 pm

Psjunkie wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:37 pm
So after further review I am wondering whether you should straighten the water line and remove the bird.....what are your thoughts? It's a wonderful image..I like the crop actually, I think it improved the image
I have now straightened the water line and done a little more tinkering with the hillside, good results. I left the bird though, you know how I am about those birds.

I am still baffled about the anomaly in the upper corners of the first post. I reset the image in LR, applied the same preset and could not duplicate the anomaly. Weird.

minniev
Mentoris Supremus
Mentoris Supremus

Post by minniev » Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:38 pm

davechinn wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:20 am

Several months to work through for sure, a winter project will be enforced. I'm sure without the wooden walkway, it would be a very difficult journey to the top. Your choice, but I would leave it as is. Where are the goats??? Sometimes we would see them and sometimes not.
I have left it, because it does have some purpose in composition. If it was a power line I'd have removed it....

The goats had followed their benefactor over the hill. I've always been curious to see more of the other side.